Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For you sniper purist, 500-600 yds. may not be long range but that is my limit on hunting game. The longest shot to date is 420 yds. I have done this twice once on an antelope and the second a bull elk. I have access to a range that I can shoot out to 600 yds. So I will have the ability to practice shooting to my self-imposed limit.

My question is will the rifles I presently have, do they give me the ability to kill a bull elk out to 600 yds? I hunt with a 270 with a 22” bbl. and a 338 Win Mag with a 22.5” bbl. I have a 7mm SAUM that I was going to keep at that chambering or re-barrel to a 270 wsm but I have that up for sale due to unforeseen bills that have come in. So if the 270 or 338 want get me to 600 yds. to cleanly kill a bull elk. I could take the saum off the selling block but that won’t make the misses happy grin

PASS IT ON!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They have done so before and can do so again.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recoil bothers me so I'd sell the 338 and kill the heck out of stuff with the other two. The 7 saum would be fun to mess with and all 3 would get you to 600.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by C_ROY
For you sniper purist, 500-600 yds. may not be long range but that is my limit on hunting game. The longest shot to date is 420 yds. I have done this twice once on an antelope and the second a bull elk. I have access to a range that I can shoot out to 600 yds. So I will have the ability to practice shooting to my self-imposed limit.

My question is will the rifles I presently have, do they give me the ability to kill a bull elk out to 600 yds? I hunt with a 270 with a 22” bbl. and a 338 Win Mag with a 22.5” bbl. I have a 7mm SAUM that I was going to keep at that chambering or re-barrel to a 270 wsm but I have that up for sale due to unforeseen bills that have come in. So if the 270 or 338 want get me to 600 yds. to cleanly kill a bull elk. I could take the saum off the selling block but that won’t make the misses happy grin

If it's a matter of the cartridge in question, I'd say yes both of those will work... Now how about accuracy? How do said rifles shoot at that range? I've shot critters past 600 yards, but with extremely accurate rifles. One of my long range hammers was a FN PBR XP chambered for 300 WSM and the other a sporter wt. Winchester model 70 classic stainless chambered in 7mm rem mag. Accuracy/skill is key to shooting at that range...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What gun you choose is not that important. A hunting bullet through the lungs,and it's all over. The bigger question is,is your rifle accurate enough to shoot that far,(1moa) or less, and can you shoot it consistently enough to make the first shot hit every time. These are much harder and more important than which caliber is used.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Recoil bothers me so I'd sell the 338 and kill the heck out of stuff with the other two. The 7 saum would be fun to mess with and all 3 would get you to 600.

Recoil may not bother the OP. I've shot 40 rounds with my 338 off the bench in one session, along with 50 rounds of 30-06 and 30 rounds of 7mm rem mag that day... If recoil bothers the OP, I'm sure he would not be mentioning his 338. I'm also sure he's not going to sell it because you have a problem with recoil... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by atse
What gun you choose is not that important. A hunting bullet through the lungs,and it's all over. The bigger question is,is your rifle accurate enough to shoot that far,(1moa) or less, and can you shoot it consistently enough to make the first shot hit every time. These are much harder and more important than which caliber is used.

At 600+ yards you better be shooting a rifle that is much more capable than that. Consistent sub moa is more like it. You owe that to the critter you are taking. When I say consistent sub moa, I'm talking 10 shot groups as well..... No you are not shooting 10 shots to take the critter, but you better damn well know your rifle and 10 shot groups tell you more about your rifles accuracy and precision and shooter skill than just about anything else. This takes into account you know where your CCB shot is and how that relates to your poi and poa... My CCB shot is always in the cluster when I shoot that 10 shot group as well... If your CCB shot is way off in left field, something is wrong with your rifle and you probably shouldn't be attempting to take game with it...Think about it, that flyer or fu ck up on your part shows up real well on target. That could mean a poor hit on a game animal at 600 yards. You got to be consistent as does your rifle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
500-600 yard "hunting rifles" grow on trees.....

Guys that can shoot a hunting rifle at 500-600 do not.

Fhugk 10 shot groups.... what you gotta know is, can I consistently hit schitt with the first round. Rarely is the rifle/bullet the weak link.

500-600 yard shots on a "range".... are quite different from 500-600 yard shots across a canyon.

Any of the rifles you mentioned would work, as long as time and primers are spent learning it.... though you didn't mention what glass you're running, and glass is the kink far more often than rifle/caliber as range increases.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
the 270 would be somewhat marginal IMO out to 600 yards. Roughly speaking, with a 140 grain bullet, you'd be down around 1800 fps, and 1000 ft-lbs at the 600 mark (depending on which bullet you used). That should be enough for decent bullet expansion, I'm just saying your right on the edge.

I'm just happy you're not another "can I use it out to 1000 yards" guy. 5-600 yards should more manageable without insanely expensive optics. But a bedded action, properly torqued action screws and scope mounting, and you can do some experimentation on how consistent your rifle(s) would be.

What optics they are wearing is another topic. My 280 Ack has a 3.5x10 Leupold, and it's probably good to around 600 yards. But that's probably on the low end.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Both are sub-moa proven shooters. The limiting factor is me. Some days I shoot better than others.

PASS IT ON!
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My wife's buck at 541.
http://youtu.be/vJDoozwogR4

Sister in laws buck 532 yards .
http://youtu.be/DnyVSCwtqTE

Last edited by fredIII; 01/16/16.
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am running VX 3 and Vari-X III 3.5-10 on both. I am either going VX-6 2-12 X 42 w/CDS OR Zeiss Conquest 3-15x42 w/ RZ800 reticle. Thought I would try hold over reticle and turret system to decide which method I prefer.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your 7 SAUM is the best out of those three, hands down.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Should I stay 7 SAUM or re-barrel to 270 wsm?

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay with it, if it shoots well.

.277 bullets VS .284 bullets is a no contest...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I didn't want to say anything, cause it sounded like you were needed to sell it.

I'd sell both the 270 and 338 if I could keep the 7 saum. laugh

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess 7mm wsm would be the best option if the accuracy is not there with the factory tube and a new barrel is in order

PASS IT ON!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Re barrel to 7saum if need be. 7wsm brass is nowhere to be found. You should get great accuracy with 7saum if barrel needs to be upgraded and brass is available

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
OR!

Keep your 270, re-barrel it to 280 Ack, and get that new VX6!

Wait a minute. You were just trying to sell a rifle to raise some funds, and we have you buying a new custom barrel and $1,000 scope. laugh

Don't listen to any of us… wink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by NWBlacktail
OR!

Keep your 270, re-barrel it to 280 Ack, and get that new VX6!

This !

140 grain bullet out of a 270 has nice enough BC for over 400... But it's slow out of a 270.

To get good BC out of a 338, OUCH... Kick...

A 280 ack on the other hand 160 grain bullets are near 3k... And have great BC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The limiting factor is me. Some days I shoot better than others.

Buying rifles and scopes is fun, but I'd try to figure out why there are good shooting days and not-so-good days. Is it your technique, the rifles, scopes, or loads? If technique, is it really your shooting or wind reading? Wind kicks everyone's ass.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any of those rifles will perform to 600yds with the right bullet, the right load and the right shooter.

For me, the question as to caliber choice would depend on if you reload or not?

If you reload then you can make those calibers, or just about any other caliber work, if not, then your choice is limited to what ammo is available to you.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would also keep the 7 SAUM it is kinda a do all and much more efficient than the wsm.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes I reload. I have been for over 15 yrs.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chris,
I'd sell the .338 and keep the 7SAUM. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I didn't want to say anything, cause it sounded like you were needed to sell it.

Only bad thing about the SAUM is brass availability. Otherwise I would keep it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I guess 7mm wsm would be the best option if the accuracy is not there with the factory tube and a new barrel is in order

If it's a Rem 700, magazine length in not going to be you friend.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes I reload. I have been for over 15 yrs.

Excellent!

Then you are good to go. I would keep all three rifles and research good bullets and loads before I spent more money on barrels of a new rifle. A 1" moa rifle is all you need.

7 Saum is a 280 AI, or better, in a short action. It's probably one of the better cartridge designs, maybe the best design that the market didn't like, and a top pick for the Remy. I'd keep that rifle as is.

Matrix makes a 165 270 bullet that is a top notch long range bullet, but then the 270 Win already was a LR rifle. A 140 AB will get you to 600 yds without a lot of effort. I have a few friends that like the 270 for LR.

Anyway, you can make all three rifles work, but you might need to tune your rifles and glass. Maybe bedding or a new stock if necessary, but all you need is a rifle that shoots into an inch...a good load will do that.

Of course one of the better ways to tune up a rifle is to put reliable glass on it...it will make you a better shooter too. (SWFA SS $300)

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Swfa. And if keeping the saum, I'd try 180 scenars or 168 berger hybrids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Yeah, I wouldnt sell the 7 SAUM. It'd be my first choice to go to six hundred, the 270 last, at least for elk. In fact if you must sell one I'd be inclined to sell the 338.

But good glass is going to be crucial to going six hundred too. You're going to need a good ballistic reticle or twist turrets and I'd prefer the latter; that's assuming you have a good LRF.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input. I believe in getting as close as possible but now that I have 9 points in CO & 7 points in WY for elk & mulies, I do not want to leave anything on the table when I cash those in. I hope I never have to take a 600 yd shot and I can work closer to the animal but you never know.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Recoil may not bother the OP. I've shot 40 rounds with my 338 off the bench in one session, along with 50 rounds of 30-06 and 30 rounds of 7mm rem mag that day... If recoil bothers the OP, I'm sure he would not be mentioning his 338. I'm also sure he's not going to sell it because you have a problem with recoil... wink

Glad that you can shoot so well with the 338 off the bench. I think Jeff_O was also very impressed with that round. It must be a real killer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 338 with a good bullet loaded pretty stoutly is a good gun to kill elk at 600 yards and the 270 can do it. If you were going to go out and buy a dedicated elk killer for that range neither would be my first choice.

I switched from 7mm Remington Magnum to 300 Weatherby to get a little more long range thump a couple of years ago not because the 7 wouldn't kill them but we hunt close to a private ranch that will claim any animal that ends up a foot over the line.

Even if you don't have an [bleep] rancher in your area putting elk on the ground quickly is an advantage when they already start a ridge away.

A big 338 - Rum, Lapua, 338/378 or any of the 300 Magnums would be my first choice for a long range elk rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Eurooptics has the Zeiss Conquest HD 5 3-15x50 with the Z800 reticle on sale for $699. To my way of thinking the optical clarity and ability to shoot accurately past 500 yards quickly make it a heck of a good long range elk hunting tool.

I used mine to kill a nice cow at 550 yards this year. The first shot caught her right behind the shoulder when she turned the 2nd hit her center chest and she did a backflip down the hill. Its much faster than dialing and true all the way out to 800 on the 300 Weatherby.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would keep the 7mm SAUM or re-barrel to 6.5 and sell the other two. I might trade you the 6.5-06 you sold me a few years ago for the 7mm SAUM depending on the action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This sums it up.http://whitetail.winchester.com/2013/the-myth-of-minimum-impact-energy/
So if you want to stay cheap and low recoil go with a good high quality 30-06 and sell all the others and make the wife happy. With the high bc .308 bullets in the 200 to 220 gr weight the 200gr ELD-X MV 2700 will hold 1925 fps and 1646 ft lbs at 600 yards and time of flight is 0.79 seconds. If you use the 212gr ELD-X MV 2646 at 600 yards it 1928 fps and 1749 ft lbs and time of flight is 0.798 seconds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pardon me for being a huge stick in the mud, but.. grin

Unless the OP has plans for a brown bear he doesn't need a 338,good though it is.Seems, like most of us the OP is a sometimes elk/mule deer hunter. What else he does I have no idea.

The SAUM is another wonderful short action 7mm which seems to have brass issues itself. Despite the ink for these off beat factory rounds, they aren't terribly popular which makes the factory ammo/component issue raise its head.

Personally, I'd dump them both,and find a good 7mm Rem Mag,for which I could still find lots of brass and factory ammo in a pinch. It does everything a SAUM does and more if hand loaded and tuned properly.I'd keep the 270 because it kills fine despite all the "advice" on here.I've killed with mine to 400 yards.But if it makes some nervous past 400, take the 7 rem mag.

The OP could talk to Dober whom, as I recall dumped a 6x6 on its nose at 710 with a 270 and 130 gr X bullet.I will ask him next time we talk.

I shot 300-600 yards 3 times last week with a garden variety 7 Rem Mag. Range time and round count are more important than any of the other stuff and a 7 Rem Mag uses all the good bullets.

The scope is important, too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Same old schit...in that it's never difficult to cypher who shoots and who doesn't.

IF the ShamWow is a 700,I'd DBM it to eek the added COAL at 2.950",kiss a 162 A-Max with '17 and steer them with a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker.

If it isn't a 700,I'd trip the works and go Montucky scoped same and in 280AI with a modest leap of like projectiles.

Distances cited are very modest.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh I shoot but I am a hunter first. I get as close to the game as I possibly can but that is my style. Nothing wrong with dropping at a set distance to start the process for dialing in a long shot. As stated before, I hope I never have to attempt a 500-600 yd shot but stuff happens on a hunt and I want to be prepared and confident I can make a shot like that. Contrary to the tv shows, long range ability is earned not bought. I get that and hence the inquiry to start me on my journey to practice, practice and practice some more at the range. If some are curious why I picked 600 yds as my max distance that is because that is the longest range I have access to shoot.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Practice practice practice.
1st cold shot accuracy trumps groups.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

One interesting thing I learned when doing an article on Chuck Mawhinney, the Vietnam-era sniper with the most confirmed kills by any Marine, was that he's been hunting elk for several decades with a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum his wife bought him as a birthday present, because she thought it might work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used successfully before then. All he'd done to the rifle was epoxy-bed the action, free-float the barrel and have the barrel Magna-Ported to reduce muzzle jump.

Talked to Chuck several times and when I asked him about how far he'd shoot at elk, the only comment he made was on that year's elk, which he'd taken at 645 yards.

More interesting to me was that he used factory ammo, and not some special long-range brand. He quit handloading years ago, apparently because it took too much time away from his shooting. Instead he'd look for 7mm mag ammo with relatively heavy spitzers in local stores. He'd buy a box and if his rifle shot it well he'd buy a bunch. At that time, maybe four years ago, he was using Federals with 175-grain Power-Shoks, which grouped into three inches at 500 yards. He used one to take the elk at 645, but said they worked fine at much closer ranges as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

One interesting thing I learned when doing an article on Chuck Mawhinney, the Vietnam-era sniper with the most confirmed kills by any Marine, was that he's been hunting elk for several decades with a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum his wife bought him as a birthday present, because she thought it might work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used successfully before then. All he'd done to the rifle was epoxy-bed the action, free-float the barrel and have the barrel Magna-Ported to reduce muzzle jump.

Talked to Chuck several times and when I asked him about how far he'd shoot at elk, the only comment he made was on that year's elk, which he'd taken at 645 yards.

More interesting to me was that he used factory ammo, and not some special long-range brand. He quit handloading years ago, apparently because it took too much time away from his shooting. Instead he'd look for 7mm mag ammo with relatively heavy spitzers in local stores. He'd buy a box and if his rifle shot it well he'd buy a bunch. At that time, maybe four years ago, he was using Federals with 175-grain Power-Shoks, which grouped into three inches at 500 yards. He used one to take the elk at 645, but said they worked fine at much closer ranges as well.

So essentially he's shooting a handloaded 270 laugh

I'd not hesitate on a bull at 600 with a 270 (or a 308), provided time and conditions allowed the shot. Can't fathom the "advantage" of a 7 SAUM inside 600 yards. Beyond that, sure I get it. But if I already had a 7SAUM, that's what I'd concentrate on. I'd sell the 338 WM and scope/stock the 7SAUM properly.

But this year I passed on a 450 yard shot because I knew I could get closer. Snuck to 80 yards and dumped the bull. Was far more fun.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob,

John when I hear those kinds of stories I'm not surprised. I believe that round count and practice, and experience count for more than gear. Not that all stuff is the "same", but I swear some good game shots could use a handful of rocks and be successful.

A guy like Mawhinney simply knows what he's doing. smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and he'd been hunting and shooting a lot since he was a kid. The Marines refined his skills, but he did the main work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know if making the misses happy is the key point here or killing a bull at 600. Of the cartridges you have, all can do the job. However the .338WM will be most challenging due to its "best trajectory".
I value the stalk as much more sporting and satisfying than being a weekend "sniper".
I'd sell the .338WM and take my chances with the wifes' reaction.
Good luck.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/17/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What Bob said.. A good 7 that you can get brass for, and good bullets..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But the OP has a 7 SAUM. It's a good, capable cartridge even if brass is problematic.

As you might have guessed, ask a question and then count the "best" ways to skin a cat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any of these rifles are more than capable at 600 yds, as would be any new rifle choice. I have friends that successfully shoot all of these rounds at ranges past 600 yds...mostly.

All one really needs is just one rifle in just about any caliber available today that a shooter likes enough to tune it up and shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. From 243 to 338 Lapua, the fundamentals are the same.

If a shooter is not comfortable with any rifle he owns, then he has probably not shot it enough... that's the difference between a shooter and a rifleman.

If I had limited means, I would prefer to own just one rifle that I knew well, and a range finder. Owning a range finder can be as important to Long Range success as a chronograph is to the reloading process.

One can also learn mildot ranging...that requires a mil-dot scope, and is a whole 'nother level of dedication that seems to rapidly be becoming a lost art.

Back when neither were available, ranging was still a necessary fundamental skill that was done with a Duplex reticle.

An LRF will make this more convenient for the average joe, by giving the casual shooter the capability to range it, dial it and shoot, but however you do it, accurate ranging is essential and makes all calibers a lot more powerful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

But the OP has a 7 SAUM. It's a good, capable cartridge even if brass is problematic.

Brass isn't so much "problematic" as it is expensive!

Midway has Norma 100ct right now for $80...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

Thus the problem. wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

That's not expensive at all for premium brass these days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boogaloo

That's not expensive at all for premium brass these days.

It really isn't... only about $15 more than "non-premium."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
These days you drop $200-$300 bucks and leave the store with a little paper bag.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both the 270 and 338 would be more than capable for the job with the right bullets. If they shoot well with the right bullets there is no need to look anywhere else for 600 yards.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 01/17/16.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A military sniper doesn't need to retrieve the enemy he kills.

I wonder how many 600 yard hunting game kills can be found and recovered? What say you guys?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

I wonder how many 600 yard hunting game kills can be found and recovered? What say you guys?

Uhhh... Every one that I've ever been apart of... Of course I don't walk slow or linger either.

Tanner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Read? Much? $1.52ea

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...-7mm-remington-short-action-ultra-magnum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner - you don't count, you spine shoot like John Burns smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit is always funny and it's never not difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't.

REALLY enjoyed the 175gr Federal PowerShock 7mmRemmie Mag "endorsement". Laughing!

That POS has a .429BC and a 2860fps launch. A 22" 7-08 with a 162 zero'd same at 2700fps,drifts a halfa foot less at the 500yd line,arrives 134fps faster and of course makes more "energy".

If only for fhuqking starters.

Hint.

The ShamWow stoked with same,will of course kick the schit out of it even more and yet retaining a S/A.

'Nother hint.

Hint....................................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Kimber I'm gonna re-barrel to the SAUM, it's a shame I missed that smoking deal at Midway for brass, LOL.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Uhhh... Every one that I've ever been apart of... Of course I don't walk slow or linger either.

Tanner

"Target" bullets too I bet.....stunt shooter....
Same experiences here.

A 7 WSM or 7 SAUM on a Montana action with 3.050 in the box steals the show....

Last edited by joshf303; 01/18/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find myself surrounded by stunt shooters.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all. I am going to just start long range shooting with my .338. I have had that rifle for going on 16 yrs. I have a 3 ring binder with targets and load notes from every round that has went through it. It is my "go to" rifle. I have taken every elk & mule deer I have killed with it. I shot a big buffalo off the Crow Reservation with it. I took it to BC on a moose hunt. When I do go to South Africa it will go. I’m planning a DIY caribou hunt in 2018 for my 50th and that rifle will be in tow.

I got the rifle NIB a 700 S/S BDL. I bought a Brown Precision stock off the web and took it to David Tooley to bed, float, trigger adjustment and re-crown. In 2002 Rick Bin painted the stock for me and that has held up during the “tender, loving care” I have given it during those hunting seasons. wink There is a chip on the fore-arm from the sling breaking and it hitting a rock during an Aoudad hunt in West Texas a few years ago. Last year after hearing all about 22” bbl. 338’s I had the barrel cut down to 22.75” and re-crowned .The past 3 years I have loaded it down with 180 BT's at about 2750 fps and killed several deer and hogs with it. The shortened barrel length has been nice deer & hog hunting.

Here is a pic. It weighs a little less as in this pic; this was made before I cut 1.25” off the barrel.

[Linked Image]

I'll update my glass and see what some new powders that are on the market will do and go shooting out to 500-600 yds. Then I will re-access. My plan all along with this rifle was that when I got to the point the recoil was an issue I would re-barrel to 7mm Rem Mag but recoil still has never been an issue even in T-shirts shooting off the bench in the Carolina summer’s so we will see.

PASS IT ON!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I find myself surrounded by stunt shooters.

Do you shoot back?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need, target bullets bounce off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. I am going to just start long range shooting with my .338. I have had that rifle for going on 16 yrs. I have a 3 ring binder with targets and load notes from every round that has went through it. It is my "go to" rifle. I have taken every elk & mule deer I have killed with it. I shot a big buffalo off the Crow Reservation with it. I took it to BC on a moose hunt. When I do go to South Africa it will go. I’m planning a DIY caribou hunt in 2018 for my 50th and that rifle will be in tow.

I got the rifle NIB a 700 S/S BDL. I bought a Brown Precision stock off the web and took it to David Tooley to bed, float, trigger adjustment and re-crown. In 2002 Rick Bin painted the stock for me and that has held up during the “tender, loving care” I have given it during those hunting seasons. wink There is a chip on the fore-arm from the sling breaking and it hitting a rock during an Aoudad hunt in West Texas a few years ago. Last year after hearing all about 22” bbl. 338’s I had the barrel cut down to 22.75” and re-crowned .The past 3 years I have loaded it down with 180 BT's at about 2750 fps and killed several deer and hogs with it. The shortened barrel length has been nice deer & hog hunting.

Here is a pic. It weighs a little less as in this pic; this was made before I cut 1.25” off the barrel.

[Linked Image]

I'll update my glass and see what some new powders that are on the market will do and go shooting out to 500-600 yds. Then I will re-access. My plan all along with this rifle was that when I got to the point the recoil was an issue I would re-barrel to 7mm Rem Mag but recoil still has never been an issue even in T-shirts shooting off the bench in the Carolina summer’s so we will see.

And you had the answer all along....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IF it's accurate, and IF you can shoot it well from field positions, that .338 will do fine out to those (moderate) ranges. That's true of mine at least with the 225 NAB. Worth considering skipping dialing and going "windshield" (reticle), again IF that's really your max. Again, that's how I was running mine when I was shooting to those distances a lot with it.

But the rock star of your group there will be the 7 SAUM assuming good accuracy. I have a couple rifles in the ballistic twin 7 WSM and if the goal is to flop down and hit something a ways away, they are pretty damn sweet and don't beat you up. Can't speak to elk at those ranges but the "mid 7" will clobber deer with authority out that far. I took the advice on here to try the 162 and it's good advice, but one nice thing about the 7-bore is that there's a bunch of legit LR bullets to try.

Plenty of 7 WSM brass to be had on gunbroker..... presume same to be true of SAUM. Just bend over, grab your ankles, and viola! It shows up via the UPS guy a few days later. smile

OP, if you want to try some 162's PM me and I'll send you some. They are not always available.... I've got lots.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
This schit is always funny and it's never not difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't.

REALLY enjoyed the 175gr Federal PowerShock 7mmRemmie Mag "endorsement". Laughing!

That POS has a .429BC and a 2860fps launch. A 22" 7-08 with a 162 zero'd same at 2700fps,drifts a halfa foot less at the 500yd line,arrives 134fps faster and of course makes more "energy".

If only for fhuqking starters.

Hint.

The ShamWow stoked with same,will of course kick the schit out of it even more and yet retaining a S/A.

'Nother hint.

Hint....................................

Yup, Mahwhinney and Mule Deer being dissed by Big Stick/Boxer

Easy to tell who's full of schit and who isn't.........another copy and paste attack by Craig's village idiot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd say it isn't necessarily an either-or deal. "The sniper" no doubt killed those elk at range with the 7 mm Mag factory load mentioned by Mule deer, but as Stick implied, might have done as well with the mentioned bullet in the 7-08. It's not the head stamp.

Try to keep positive.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I'd say it isn't necessarily an either-or deal. "The sniper" no doubt killed those elk at range with the 7 mm Mag factory load mentioned by Mule deer, but as Stick implied, might have done as well with the mentioned bullet in the 7-08. It's not the head stamp.

Try to keep positive.

There are lots of options, BS/Boxer is on a schizo rant, a narrow one at that. Everything is schit except for what he has or has read about, only he shoots more than anyone, oh ya , a 6x45 at 2000 yards...........I guess he doesn't have enough 'camera' for that one to post up a picture or video of that.

I am positive but the smell of schit is mighty powerful.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Positively, a 'Stick chasing heel-hound.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's hard to take a guy seriously when he's always bragging about weighing his powder charges to the nearest .01 grain.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It ain't the arrow it's the Indian.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's 0.02 grains

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

Load some 225 gr Accubombs in that .338 then you will have your 600 yard elk rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to know that reporting on what somebody else uses is an "endorsement." Never realized that before!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Epic thread.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Axtell
It's 0.02 grains

Huge difference.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
It's 0.02 grains

Huge difference.

ya, 100% smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to argue with success, whatever one uses....

Folks sometimes underestimate the deadliness of a given projectile due to BC, FPS, etc. Many variables. Shot placement often trumps all.

One can often debate what is best or better, but that does not make another option ineffective.

It's easy to get caught up in Ballistic Minutia; Yes, it matters, but sometimes more to those doing the numbers, than the animals whose vitals get punched.

Like looking at a medical treatment....outcomes is where the rubber meets the road. How one gets there can be debated: Bullet choice, residual speed, energy, drop, drift, but when you punch vitals, does the game die swiftly, or not? Field results i.e. - "post shot outcomes" - trump ballistics.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Try to keep positive.

There are lots of options, BS/Boxer is on a schizo rant, a narrow one at that. Everything is schit except for what he has or has read about, only he shoots more than anyone, oh ya , a 6x45 at 2000 yards...........I guess he doesn't have enough 'camera' for that one to post up a picture or video of that.

I am positive but the smell of schit is mighty powerful.

The funniest thing about this thread, is what you thought Stick wrote about the 6x45.

Reading comprehension, it's a great skill to have on the internet.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Asstell,

You Squat To Pee Whining Kchunt...your STUPIDITY is fhuqking boundless! Congratulations?!?

My "trouble" is,I shoot all the chamberings cited and a whole fhuqk of a bunch that ain't yet been muttered. Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

If it helps your Imagination and it's Pretend,feel free to "convince" yourself I've never ShamWow'd or 7Remmie'd. They "might" look like this. Google for confirmation. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

It's purty black and white. Couple/few puns be intended. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now you can say you've "seen" 'em.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!....................

3rd,

Jeezus Fhuqk...now boolits matter?!?

This schit is sooooooooooo cornfusing.

Laughing!..................

'22,

Though she couldn't poor piss outta a boot,she do suck a mean ass...the "lucky" kchunt.

Bless her heart..............

smoke',

The closest she comes to "shooting" anything,is when blowing her nose and acceleratin' her Imagination...though she Pretends that fact ain't so.

Bless her heart................

Mike',

Beware the best Indian,with the best arrows.

Hint................

'85,

Pass the 250 Skinners....................

[Linked Image]

Mule Deer,

Perhaps I missed your rapier sarcasm and you were laughing too,at the notion of sucha schitty boolit...in sucha exquisite chambering and the Snipery endorsement thickly veiled them connotations?!?

Didn't think so.

Not everyone could give such great "thought",to arranging a 7mmRemMag becoming a distant second fiddle to a 22" SAAMI 7-08 and shooting same "so much",that reloading was no longer viable.

FUNNY schit!.........................

starsky,

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...it's certainly Epicer than that.................(grin)

'BR,

Great time to elaborate on how reduced cost,reduced recoil,reduced noise(not even factoring the Loudener),reduced drift,reduced trajectory,reduced weight,reduced length,reduced ES/SD,increased impact velocity,increased "energy",increased magazine capacity,increased balance/handling,increased barrel life and increased terminal affects are NOT advantages.

Hint.

Though in no particular order....................(grin)

'Hntr,

She wouldn't know a 270 launchin' 105's,unless I bothered to show her.

[Linked Image]

Now the "lucky" kchunt can say she's "seen" that chambering too.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

your STUPIDITY is fhuqking boundless! Congratulations?!?

FWIW,
I saw that in addition to Glenn Frey, Dallas Taylor passed today!

So,

So with that in mind.

Here's to you B..........

as I'm sure I've seen this post before...........

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mule Deer what kind of rifle/scope combination does Sargent Mawhinney hunt elk with?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My best 600 yard shots are made at 100 yards...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

really not much at all compared to a a couple of trips to wyo from Carolina. the 7mm saum has won a lot in long range F-class. see 6mmbr.com. awesome for what the op wants.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Sound advice.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike-S,

I mentioned the rifle in my previous post, a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum that's taken a bunch of deer and elk. His wife bought it for him as a present in the early 1980's, because she thought it would work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used for many years previously. Chuck wasn't unhappy with the .308, but appreciated the present so started using it.

He's used a number of different scopes over the years (from what I gathered he experiments more with scopes than rifles), but when I talked to him in 2014 had a 2.5-10x Nightforce on the Ruger, the combo he used to shoot the elk at 645 yards.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you Mule Deer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike-S,

I mentioned the rifle in my previous post, a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum that's taken a bunch of deer and elk. His wife bought it for him as a present in the early 1980's, because she thought it would work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used for many years previously. Chuck wasn't unhappy with the .308, but appreciated the present so started using it.

He's used a number of different scopes over the years (from what I gathered he experiments more with scopes than rifles), but when I talked to him in 2014 had a 2.5-10x Nightforce on the Ruger, the combo he used to shoot the elk at 645 yards.

If the rifle is stainless that's like winning the Trifecta!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only animals I've shot at over 500 yards are coyotes and the rifles I've used aren't suitable for elk at that range.

Longest on elk or other big game was a bull a couple in 2013 at 487yds with my .338WM using a 225g AB @ 2742fps.

Like you, my local range limits me to 600 yards so that is my personal limit as well. My .338WM, .300WM, 7mm RM and .280 Rem all make the cut for 600 yards given the proper loads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Practice practice practice.
1st cold shot accuracy trumps groups.

Cartridge matters the least. These threads are fun to read because of the differing opinions, but that's why we are here.

I'd sell the .270 first, then the 7saum, re-tube the .338WM and buy a better scope for the intended use. The BC's of the heavier .284's are very good, but there are lots of options.

Whatever is chosen, the above advice is very much on point.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a few acres in the Madison Valley where the public isn't welcome any more thanks to 600 yard shots. If you're going to do it, use the most gun you can shoot consistently.

Last edited by ismith; 02/02/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If your 7 MM is twisted to shoot at least the 168 grain bullets, it's your best yield of great ballistics per unit of recoil. Even better if it will shoot a 180.

Precision and recoil are mutually exclusive ...

Presuming you are not using a brake.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all that chimed in. I am moving forward with the 7mm saum. I do have a question on bases & rings. MY .338 has Warne steel bases and Burris signature zee rings. This combo has been rock solid for me for the past 15 yrs. My .257 Roberts has Burris signature dual dovetails and that has never let me down the same length of time. The .270 I have the Talley light weights and I have had no issues. I’m open to try something else if there are better options but the Warne steel bases w/Burris Signature zee rings sure has held POI over many a flight, and being hauled in scabbards.

It seems that most long range rigs have the picatinny rails & tactical rings. I’m not sure what that would do for me over the other base & ring combo’s I have used in the past. I would love to hear what you guys run. I plan to use a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42mm with RZ800 reticle.

PASS IT ON!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Leupold DD's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have lots of equipment that is good.
I am the problem.
Rem, Sav, Win, Browning, Ruger all good rifles.
Leupold CDS, Sightron, IOR, all good scopes.
Harris and Atlas bipods are good.
Most premium boat tail hunting bullets are good.
I like Timney triggers.
I make my own pillars and cut my own chambers.
Any $300 barrel blank is good.

[Linked Image]

The rear bag has been getting bigger every year.

But the most important thing is me practicing.
I have to spend many days shooting long range to qualify myself to shoot at game at 400, 500, or 600 yards.
I qualified for 600 in 2015 for the first time:)

Longer ranges are a challenge, but most animals I can stalk to within 400 yards at dawn.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm running a sub MOA M98 with 27 inch heavy barrel in .30-06, using 150 grain Super Performance factory loads, zeroed to 300 yards for caribou hunting. Last two were taken a minute or two apart, one at @290, the second at a ranged 433. Lung shots, using the snow machine wind screen for a rest (I forgot I had the BOG tripod with me - I have had that thing for a year and have yet to use it on an animal!). The rifle wears a Leupold VariX III 3.5 - 10

Both bullets went exactly where planned. Based on this, with the modern premium bullets available, I'd not hesitate to use the .270 if that is your preference. But if it were me doing it, I'd use my sub MOA Ruger Tang in .338WM..... smile

I see no point in 10 shot groups for a hunting rifle beyond initial wring-out. I do want to know that all 10 will go into a reasonable group - ie- barrel heating issues. My M98 is full length bedded, and it has no such issues to 5 shots. I haven't checked it beyond that. Probably should in case I get charged by a dozen or so caribou all at once.... smile

3-5 shots will tell you most everything you need to know for hunting after initial rifle/load wring-out, and you seem to be at that point already.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And no - I won't push myself beyond 600 yards, even tho the rifles are capable.

And no head shots past 100!

Last edited by las; 02/29/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A ratio that serves well...reminds me of chainsaws...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C ROY -

Like you I have a local range that goes to 600 and as a result that is both the limit of my practice and the farthest I would be willing to take a shot under perfect conditions.

My longest shot on big game (cow elk) has been 487 yards and my 22" .338WM, with a 225g AB @ 2742fps, did a fine job. I can tell you that 487 yards in the field seems like a lot farther than 500 at the range.

As to choice at 600 yards, your .338WM will do fine. I shoot mine (and most of my other rifles) at that distance every time I take it to the range, using either steel plates or clay pigeons as the targets, depending on wind conditions.

I would prefer the 7 SAUM over a .270 and would prefer my .300WM/180g over my 7mm RM/140-160g for 600 yards. There is no doubt in my mind that the .338WM/225g would work just fine at that range. A laser range finder and a scope with a drop-compensating reticle really make it easier.

In your shoes I would forgo any custom work, sell the 7 SAUM to pay the bills and focus on your .338WM for the long range stuff. Best of luck to you whatever you choose.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I didn't know that reiterating a "Stick truism" makes me a "Stick chasing heel-hound."

Taking him at face-value here on the 'fire, I admire Stick's talent and experience; that's aside from his obvious issues.

Why not contribute to the thread?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.