Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This week I took a 2 hour drive to New Britain Connecticut to visit the Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company factory and showroom. I was interested in their Model 21 O/U Standard Grade, which is styled after the Winchester 21 S/S and a Winchester M21 O/U, which was designed but never produced by Winchester. After entering their truly eye-popping showroom, with both new and vintage doubles ranging in price from a couple thousand to best guns well into six figures, I was handed a M21 O/U in 20 ga with 30" barrels and exhibition grade black walnut stock. It fit me perfectly, was well balanced and showed the level of workmanship that I was hoping for and expecting. My plans for this shotgun is for non-competition skeet shooting. This shotgun comes in a field presentation with an automatic safety, single bead, and 5 chokes. I asked if it could be converted to manual safety - no problem. I asked if a mid-bead could be added to the vent rib - no problem. I asked if I could purchase an extra skeet choke - it was included at no extra charge.

What a great experience I had! They could not have been more friendly or accommodating and the shotgun is beautiful and beautifully well made, right here in the US. It will be shipped to a local FFL next week. For anyone contemplating a fine double shotgun, I would highly recommend you consider a CSMC shotgun and that you visit one of their 2 showrooms. They also sell new shotguns from other manufactures including being a high volume Beretta dealer.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/16/16. Reason: typo
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
CSMC sells and makes some excellent shotguns. However unless you just have to have something different than anyone else, buy a Perazzi. Repeatedly tested and proven over many years by people who do their best to try and wear them out.

That Model 21 O/U is an unproven design. Unique no doubt, but proven? Nope.

You want a SxS, then a CSMC model 21 wouldn't be a bad choice since you are willing to spend that kind of money. O/U? Perazzi.

Last edited by battue; 01/16/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rereading your post it looks like you already ordered one. Enjoy it and post some pics. cool

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The Perazzi is a fine shotgun (as is the Blaser F3) but it isn't the only option and they don't shoot better than any other shotgun that fits the shooter well and is well balanced. The M21 O/U was designed to be a high volume gun but I don't plan on putting a ton of rounds thru it. I have no desire to compete anymore. I did that years ago, now I'm more interested in just having fun with the great group of retired guys that I shoot with. I'll probably shoot just 1-2 rounds of skeet with it every week. I did want something different.

I have a couple of Citori O/Us (a 1980s skeet gun and 1990s Ultra Sporter). Over the years I've broke a lot of birds with each back when I did compete and both have held up. The Ultra is my go-to clay gun. One of the guys I shoot with has a Perazzi MX8 that I have shot. It's a great shotgun that will handle tons of rounds, but frankly, I prefer the handling of my Citori Ultra. Hopefully I'll shoot this CSMC M21 as well.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/16/16.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by battue
Rereading your post it looks like you already ordered one. Enjoy it and post some pics. cool

I actually already purchased the one that I handled. I couldn't take it home because of Connecticut law, prohibiting sales to someone out-of-State. It has to be sent to an FFL in NY. They'll make the changes I requested to the gun and ship it out next week. They stated it would only take a 1/2 hour to make the alterations I wanted and as I left they were already taking it to the mfg floor to get that done. I should have it by mid-week. I'll post pics when it arrives.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Blazer has the best trigger on any shotgun ever made. Has firing pins like a rifle instead of hammers. For some reason, pound for pound I found them to kick more than a lot of others.

Perazzi in 12 gauge are essentially a competition shotgun and take a little fiddling to get them just right. Especially for the down gun games. Although I did shoot a fellows field 12 that was better than nice. Only problem was it took short barrels to get there. Their sub-gauges can be as lively as anything made.

Beretta is also another work horse that that will run with anything.

Brownings are better than good, but will wear down a little quicker. Easy fix when it happens.

Again, enjoy the new one and post it up.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A couple guys I shoot with have the Blaser F3 and I shot one of them. I broke the targets that I shot at with it but I didn't love the balance. I didn't shoot it enough to get a feel of the recoil. The stock fit me pretty well but it was a little too muzzle heavy for my liking. It is a tank of a shotgun though and you can see it's high quality. One of the guys who has one of the Blasers had bought a Krieghoff K80. He didn't like the way the K80 handled at all. He traded it in for the Blaser F3 and a Citori 725 Sporting Clays. He shoots the Citori better and has transitioned to it as his main shotgun. Granted, they eventually will need to be tightened up or replaced after a lot of shooing, but at less than 1/2 the price of a Blaser, they can get the job done.

In our group of retired guys you'll see everything from various pumps, an old Winchester 1400, to vintage doubles, Perazzi and Blasers, with Browning1s, Berettas and Ceasar Guerinis, SKB etc holding the middle ground. Now we'll add my CSMC M21 O/U. That's how I define diversity. grin

ps. the M21 O/U design is not all that unique. It's has a lot in common with the CSMC Inverness round action design that is used in those $7-10K shotguns. Their Inverness O/U and their RBL S/S are round action guns that complement each other. This M21 is meant to complement their M21 S/S Winchester replicas. With CSMC's 40 year experience in making very high quality doubles, I don't expect mechanical issues with it, but if I do, I have confidence that they would make it right. I was very impressed by them, I could see and hear the pride they have in what they do and produce.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/16/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dedicated competition shotguns are "tanks" for the obvious reasons of durability and cutting down on recoil. Have an acquaintance that shot sporting for years with a beautiful high grade Belgium Browning. It was light and quick. It also beat him up with the high volume shooting he was doing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Their downsized small frame Model 21's are better than the originals when it comes to handling and every bit as well built. Maybe better.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CSMC sells and makes some excellent shotguns. However unless you just have to have something different than anyone else, buy a Perazzi. Repeatedly tested and proven over many years by people who do their best to try and wear them out.

You want a SxS, then a CSMC model 21 wouldn't be a bad choice since you are willing to spend that kind of money. O/U? Perazzi.

+1 on the Perazzi. None of these is close, including the Blaser, IMO. I've been shooting these guns for 25 years, and they are built like trucks and move like Ferraris.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It may take some patience to get what you want, but if you know what it is and are willing to order and wait, then Perazzi will give you the barrel weight you want, multiple stock configurations and dimensions if you know them also. Although for a dedicated comp shotgun it is hard to go wrong with an adjustable comb.

Still looking forward to seeing the OP's new one; there will be very few around like it.

Last edited by battue; 01/17/16.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GF1

+1 on the Perazzi. None of these is close, including the Blaser, IMO. I've been shooting these guns for 25 years, and they are built like trucks and move like Ferraris.

This thread wasn't started so as to become a discussion as to what one thinks to be the best clays shotgun. Most shotgunners would agree the Perazzi is a fine shotgun indeed. If I had wanted a Perazzi, I would be buying one. This CSMC M21 O/U tickled my fancy, so I bought it. I just thought I would share my thoughts on it, as there are not many out there currently in use, and suggest that IMO they are worthy of consideration, but your preference for Perazzi is so noted. I'm just not used to getting a consensus opinion when I purchase a new shotgun.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/17/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cooper, don't get all worked up about the thread bouncing around. You should know that is how it works around here and it isn't going to change.

Second, there isn't one person out of at least 100 here-probably much more-that have a single clue re the shotgun you bought. They don't even know it exists, so the thread will more readily take some turns. I do because I'm more than a little interested in shotguns.

It should be a fine shotgun, but go with the flow and post up some pics when you get it. grin

Annnnnd……this place thrives on consensus opinion on just about every thread. wink

Last edited by battue; 01/17/16.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not worked up, just trying to keep this thread from drifting into a discussion of what everyone thinks is the best clays shotgun. I posted just to provide some info for people like yourself who might be curious about this shotgun. There is not much info out there about it. I just thought I would pass along my impression of it.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/17/16.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Glad you are pleased with your gun. You mention that the CSMC Model 21 over/under is the gun Winchester designed but never produced. Not quite correct, as the CSMC gun isn't close mechanically to the Winchester design.

The CSMC gun more closely resembles it's own Inverness model, which looks remarkably similar to a number of modern O/U guns made in Italy today (such as the B. Rizzini).

A key part of the difference between the CSMC gun and the Winchester O/U design is the locking mechanism. The Winchester patent bolting mechanism locks very high on the barrel assembly, roughly abeam the center of the top barrel; the CSMC gun has the underbolt below the bottom barrel, akin to the guns I mention above. There are other significant differences as well.

Not to say that the CSMC Model 21 over/under isn't a good gun, as it certainly seems to be, it just is not the gun Winchester designed.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
GF1, I didn't say the CSMC is the exact same M21 O/U that was designed by Winchester. Go back to my original post and you will read that I said it was styled after the Winchester M21 O/U that was never produced. I chose that word carefully. I also said the following in reply to Battue when he stated this was an unproven design.

"ps. the M21 O/U design is not all that unique. It has a lot in common with the CSMC Inverness round action design that is used in those $7-10K shotguns. Their Inverness O/U and their RBL S/S are round action guns that complement each other. This M21 is meant to complement their M21 S/S Winchester replicas. With CSMC's 40 year experience in making very high quality doubles, I don't expect mechanical issues with it, but if I do, I have confidence that they would make it right. I was very impressed by them, I could see and hear the pride they have in what they do and produce."

The folks at CSMC were very up front with me about this and I portrayed this shotgun accurately here. It is styled after the unproduced Winchester M21 O/U and is a compliment to the M21 S/S replica that they do produce. Mechanically, it is based on their more expensive Inverness model. I was told this by the CSMC salesman and I was under no mistaken impression as to what it was I was buying. I did my homework on this shotgun before buying and have described it accurately.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cooper, I simply took your comment exactly as you stated:

"...Winchester M21 O/U, which was designed but never produced by Winchester." You also mentioned "styled", and I agree with you on that point - it does look like the prototype that Winchester built."

I don't mean to quibble, only to point out that the design is vastly different than the Winchester.

Very glad you had a fine experience. Enjoy the gun.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Oh, what the hell, let's quibble. It is a fact that the Winchester 21 O/U was designed and never produced (except for at least one known prototype). The CSMC is styled (I did not say copied)after that shotgun's design. I never stated or implied that this CSMS is the same design as the original Winchester, that is due to your apparent lack of comprehension. Quite clearly, I stated it was mechanically similar to the Inverness. Any confusion, is/was clearly on your part.

For the record, it will be hereforth so noted that: you prefer Perazzi and that you have pointed out what I clearly stated; the CSMS M21 is of a different (mechanical) design than the Winchester M21 O/U, which was never produced. I plan to enjoy this shotgun (as I do all my shotguns), when it arrives from the factory. Thanks.

ps, When it arrives, I will attempt to post a picture of it here.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/19/16.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, I guess I've always been kind of a dim bulb...thanks for the enlightenment. But I guess I'm just bright enough to stay away from a personal attack...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'll post few pictures of my new CSMC M 21. Here's the first

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.