-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just for discussion. Since probably the majority of No1 buyers read this forum....

While grabbing a 9.3x74R for under $1K from CDNN seems like a great deal, it probably wasn't such a great deal to Ruger or Lipseys.

What it means is that they came out with a No1 in a really cool caliber and WE, the No1 buying public, did not buy enough of them!

How many more times will that happen before Ruger or Lipseys decides its not worth making them any more?

WE need to make sure every No1 in every caliber sells out every year! sortuv voting with our wallets.

Ruger/Lipseys can help by putting nice wood on them!

I'd suggest making them in cool calibers would help them sell too, but I have no idea why 7.62x39 is more popular than 9.3x74R!

The other problem I have is not knowing what next year's calibers will be... should I spend money this year on something in a less cool caliber like that 1S in '06 or wait till next year to see if they offer a 1A in .275 Rigby, or K1A in 7x57, or 1S in 8x57 or 1H in .450NE or .470NE?

of course if CDNN is blowing out the '06 in '16 maybe I can afford that in addition to the 2016 model smile

Any thoughts?

Poole

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I'm not sure if you are pine' n for the days when we read about guys hunting in Africa with those rounds, or the more classic rifles... Maybe both.

B
B
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

How many more times will that happen before Ruger or Lipseys decides its not worth making them any more?[/b]

WE need to make sure every No1 in every caliber sells out every year! sortuv voting with our wallets.

I know there is a slight time delay as importing into Canada takes a bit of time (extra eight weeks), but i have had a deposit on a 2015 RSI since January 20th(and i am still waiting).

At the time, Lipsey's was giving a delivery time of June. Then August. Then October. The delay was attributed to "waiting for better quality wood". I used better wood to frame my shop than what i have seen on this year's RSI's.

The simple fact is that twenty five years ago build quality and accuracy for the dollar was there (i have a beautiful .338WM that is sub MOA). In this day and age of quality and accuracy for sub $1K, our beloved number one's are obsolete in the market place.

Interesting metric calibers don't matter when someone can buy a CZ in a metric caliber for less with better build quality.

Rant over.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will get in line when they do a 22LR.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I'm not sure if you are pine' n for the days when we read about guys hunting in Africa with those rounds, or the more classic rifles... Maybe both.

BOTH!

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

BOTH!

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

[Linked Image]

VERY cool !!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been waiting to buy one of the .223 K1V and one of the 1B .257 Roy. I've seen 2 of the former and 3 of the latter on GB, none with wood I liked, and/or sellers who would post photos of the actual rifle.

I did buy a 7.62x39

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I'd suggest making them in cool calibers would help them sell too, but I have no idea why 7.62x39 is more popular than 9.3x74R!

1. Ruger could absolutely help by affixing wood that is of a better grade than pallet material.

2. The 7.62x39 is more popular than the 9.3x74R, because of the cost of ammunition. Lots of folks buy No.1's to collect and look at, but there are folks who want to hunt with them and shoot them for recreation.

I like the idea of the 8x57 in a 1s, but I am really hoping that another run of 30-30's will take place.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Did Ruger change how they do checkering on these? I saw four #1's on the rack the other day at Cabela's. The checkering was terrible, and may be best described as rounded protrusions. It appeared to be machine cut, but the protrusions were pretty much round and not pyramid in shape. I need to go back and take a second look. Has anyone else notice this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the new 7.62x39's. It is well finished, although the wood is fairly plain. I finally found some 1680 yesterday, so will work up loads. Hopefully be able to give it a run. The previous runs of the 7.62x39 sold well, mostly because they usually had at least decent wood, and because in a light compact the #1 the caliber is very handy. Plus you get a 22" barrel, which improves velocity over a typical AK.

Ruger did make a .450 Nitro in the Boddington Series. They are hard to find. A .470 Nitro would be neat addition, although I can almost match it with a .475 Turnbull.

When they do a really interesting caliber, they usually sell out quickly. I too would like to see another run of the .30-30's. And I'd like to see a .416 Rigby with a C weight barrel smile

I'd love to see Ruger build a smaller version of the #1, say that would accept nothing larger than a .473" case head. It would save some weight and be very handy.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not worried about CDNN having these #1 rifles, some cartridges not common I suppose are a bit more difficult to sell, I'd be interested in the 300RCM now they list if it were a bit less, buying from them as a resident Texan is not that great of deal, as I must pay sales tax, out of state about 9% cheaper, they do have some nice deals from time to time. I remember a few years ago when they had a bunch of K1B laminates, wish I had got one of those. They were $799 list as I recall?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger should make them switch barrels like a handi-rifle...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they wanted to sell a bunch of rifles, the 9.3x74 was a poor choice, with limited ammunition availability and frankly a bit much for most hunters' purposes. I think they build them for collectors and the few who appreciate such cartridges. I suspect that the wholesale price is what it is for the most part and the discount comes out of retailers' end. Darrick can probably illuminate us on that matter.

Number 1s have always been a niche product, and like Savage 99s, the market is flush with used ones, usually in good shape because the guy enamored of falling blocks is likely a serious guy who knows how to take care of stuff. I suspect the Ruger and Lipsey folks know what they're doing and look forward to them coming out with a Number 1 in a cartridge I can't do without. The 7.62x39 comes close.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm assuming that these 9.3x74r were parts guns. Using the remaining barrels. There were 9.3x62 available earlier this year as well.

Also .243 1A, .303 British 1A , and then of course the 7.62x39 1A that were not catalogued as exclusives.

Now if we could only see some wood......

Flyer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger has priced the #1 beyond what I'm willing to pay for it.

Normally I'm not a #1 afficionado although I've had three of them over the years and really love the way they look. But I'm in severe lust with the new 1S in .30-06 with the 24" medium barrel. That's my idea of a gorgeous, well balanced rifle - in all respects. I've been hankering to get one since they were first announced almost a year ago.

But a couple of months ago I paid a tad over $1000 for a LH, stainless MRC 1999 with fiberglass stock that is built with quality all over it. You can find tons of rifles that will most likely out shoot the average #1 for one fourth the price. The cheap ones are ugly, for sure, but they will shoot.

If they made it like a semi-custom shop affair with guaranteed great wood and extra attention to accuracy then $1200 would be reasonable, but not for the same rifle, same trigger and same accuracy as always - which admittedly could be great or not, a total crap shoot. And with a total crap shoot on what the wood will look like.

I bid one up to $1075 just this morning but that's as much as I'll pay for any new #1 - and that's still under the reserve price on the auction. If they go on clearance for $999 or less later on then I'll definitely grab one, but as prices go now I bought my last new Ruger #1 several years ago.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently, you don't fit in the niche. Me either at retail, but I still look for deals. I really prefer the Brownings these days.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't really know what to say about the situation with the #1...

I have had only six over the years. A .375, .22-250, .25-06, and stainless 7.62x39, .405 and .35 Whelen. The .375 and .22-250 were my only two hunting rifles for about five years. Traded the .375 for a 700/.35 Rem. Mag. and the .22-250 for the .25-06. Sold the .25-06 before I really developed a load for it. Since then I have mainly hunted with bolt guns.

The stainless .35 Whelen was NIB and I ended up just selling it off. The 7.62x39 had such gorgeous wood it just sees the range. The .405 I sold as I had four guns in that caliber and it was just a heavy rifle..if it had been a "S" instead of a "H" it would still be here.

If Ruger wants to sell some #1s with plain wood, then they should have every day using calibers...the success of the 7.62x39 proves that. How about a #1A in .223/1-9 twist for heavy bullets...or a #1B in .22-250/1-8 twist that everyone wants.. I think a stainless #1A in .308 would sell also.

On the other side of the coin, if they are going to make an "African" caliber then the wood better be AA+ or aficionados are not going to buy them...that has also been proven...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally don't mind paying more for better wood, in fact I try to hold out for it as much as I can. I sort of suspect, though, the days of burled black walnut seem to be behind us, although Shiloh does manage to find it. Recently they are thinking out of the box and making some really interesting models, like the K1V .223 with 1 in 8" barrel, and the .257 Roy.

The two newest ones shoot extremely well, and they are very nicely polished. A .30-30 #1A is still on my wish list, but this new Rooski Ruger looks like a keeper, and it is certainly handy.

As far as new potential calibers - a 1B 26 (or 28) Nosler would be neat. Or how about domesticate a .22-250AI with 1 in 8" twist

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 12/25/15. Reason: add last paragraph

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had four number 1s and sold all of them. Would never buy another without first shooting it to confirm its accuracy. And I'm sure that wont happen.

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.