Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Anxious for a new puppy next week. I've had two prior but was too young to hunt them like they should have been. Now as an adult and a die hard Waterfowler with some decent public areas and some decent boats and equipment...I can't wait.

No other CBR fans here?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm a fan but it's been 16 years since I've had one. I still consider Gunner to be the best dog I ever had for waterfowl. Very smart and could be taught to do just about anything.
I've moved on to mostly upland hunting and have a 15yr old GSP that's retired and a 2yr old WPG now.

I'm considering getting back into more waterfowl work when I lose my GSP and a new Chessie is on the top of my list.

Good luck with the new pup.

Bob

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was wondering the same thing. I have an 8 year old Chessie-great dog. He was absolutely dynamite on pheasants at 18 months. Then, in quick succession, I got two boys and I just haven't hunted much since. I am getting out a couple of days here and there but am worried he has lost some of his drive. I keep working him, but I really need to get out and hunt him! Maybe next year.

Where are you getting you new pup from? Do they have a website? I'll be looking for a new pup in 2-3 years...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MontanaCreekHunter has one.

Remember years ago they were the Dog down around the Cheasapeake. Back then if one was sitting in the truck or bed, it was wise not to stick your hand in. Most ones I see today are much more people oriented. Still tough as nails.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm heading down to Longview in two weeks to pick one up as well. Can't wait, but I think my boys are more excited then I am.

I will be getting it trained for waterfowl as well. I have a friend who I usually hunt in the Skagit area with. I have my fingers crossed that he will be ready by next year.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
From the research I've done, they are out and under the gun and quite accomplished at 6 months. Of course much is relative to training and exposure. But I don;t think simple open water retrieves and some safe cover are asking too much for a young dog. Mine was born 11/25 so he will be right around 1 year next mid season. And will be taking a seat behind my 3 yo Drahthaar. My DD is awesome but just can't handle the Sitting between flocks after working the icy Columbia from December on

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Roger that.

I should have pick of this little, but hunting in cold weather was definitely reason for looking at the cbr and I wanted one since I was young.

Post some pictures when you can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in Northern MN and they were common there 60 years ago. I had 3 different males and often think of getting one but I just don't do that type of water hunting ant more.

We seldom see one up here now but they were very popular in the Aleutian area at one time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Training a 4 month old female right now. Mainly obedience stuff on and off check cords. She's a retrieving machine. Will be moving on to training with the shock collar soon(right now she's training with the collar on her but with the power off) and then into the field with dead/live birds around April.

"Kate" will be primarily an upland hunter. So we are training this spring with a local club in the spaniel/flusher group.

She is the biggest training challenge I have had of 7 dogs. She wants seriously to be the alpha and is super smart. Drives my wife nuts. Unbelievable prey drive too. I have my work cut out for me on this one. Her potential is incredible.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.