Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of an out of State (i. e. not Michigan) guided spring black bear hunt in 2017. What states or provinces should I be looking at? I order of importance I would put mine as:

1) Ease of getting a tag.

2) Ease of getting a bear.

3) Cost.

4) trophy potential. This is less important than the other three.

From a travel stand point Ontario seems the easiest, but I know nothing about out of State hunting. I'm looking only at spring, because I hunt them here at home in the fall.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ontario has just recently re-opened the spring bear hunting seasons. The spring season was closed for 15 years so the potential for getting a bear are good. An internet search will reveal lots of outfitters and allow a comparison of facilities and prices. With the present downturn in the value of the Canadian dollar you probably can't find a cheaper hunt. I'm not a bear hunter so can not provide any recommendations on an outfitter.

Jim

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I have hunted the spring season in New Brunswick. It was pretty inexpensive ($1300 including the license) for a six day hunt. I saw pretty good number of bear, but none were monsters. I could have shot an fair adult 5 of the 6 nights. In the end I took a 5 footer, made a nice rug.

Over all it was a nice hunt and as you don't go out on stand till mid afternoon, you can fish in the mornings.

People don't think of it but it would be a very good first father/son hunt. Moderate temps, you see a good amount of wildlife and the shooting range is short.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Idaho allows baiting and hound hunting, if you want to go out west.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wyoming over the counter tags. No dogs but bait and spot and stalk. I've gone out last few years and took friends out a couple times all have gotten bears. May like that there's lots of color phase, something different to try for I also did take the wife out last fall and she got a nice black bear

I go run around with Ross Adney when I'm out there. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com

Last edited by JerradPelzer; 01/17/16.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Ontario has just recently re-opened the spring bear hunting seasons. The spring season was closed for 15 years so the potential for getting a bear are good. An internet search will reveal lots of outfitters and allow a comparison of facilities and prices. With the present downturn in the value of the Canadian dollar you probably can't find a cheaper hunt. I'm not a bear hunter so can not provide any recommendations on an outfitter.

Jim

Per the Minstry's website the spring hunt was residents only in '15. Has that changed for '16?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replys you guys. Over the counter sounds attractive in Wyoming. I still have some home work to do.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atse
Idaho allows baiting and hound hunting, if you want to go out west.
Tags are also OTC.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Jim

Per the Minstry's website the spring hunt was residents only in '15. Has that changed for '16?

Yes, there is a spring hunt this year (2016) for non-residents.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,496
Posts18,452,430
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.