Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Crazy weather has really hit us hard this season. I have seen less deer this year than I can ever remember, spoke with a local processor and he stated he was at about 1/3 of what he normally is this time of year. I've been in the woods about 5 times so far and only seen one small spike.

Thankful for an extended season that lasts until Feb 10th.

I'll be back in the stand tomorrow morning, wearing some filson gear I got off of shrapnel, hoping that brings me good luck and a shooter buck.

Anyone else having a similar season?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by AMRA; 01/17/16.

Molan Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
We've had the same weather over here in MS and I haven't hunted much this year. Just can't get excited about hunting in 60-70 degree weather. However, I have gotten 2 deer so far, one of them a very nice 10 point. I'm going to try my best to get a couple more does for the freezer before our season ends at the end of January.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang sorry to hear about your heart attack, how are you healing up?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Matt -

This year in So. Ark was off/low but not my worst. I saw a fair number of deer and a FEW bucks.

I got a nice 8, no record book of course, on Nov. 23. I did NOT SEE another antlered buck after that day. Our deer went nocturnal.

My Uncle has a motion detector on his drive and the deer were activating it every night. I haven't counted but I went a few weeks w/o seeing a single deer.

Archery is the only kind of deer season left in Ark so I'm done.

Keep your chin up, at least you can hunt till Feb.10.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting with my 8yr old son was a bit 'challenging' this afternoon lol.

Ours have been nocturnal as well, and I really can't seem to figure out just why that is.

I understand why they have left our food plots a lone, up until now we hadn't had the hard freezes required to sour the acorns and the deer were hanging in the thick woods where those are plentiful.

However we have a ton of traffic in our food plots, just none during day light hours.

I'll be back at it in the morning, thankful I can still hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We've been off in the Dothan area also. Hot weather and it seems like every five years or so the whole rut and patterning got to pot. I've only seen seven deer this year but on a better note I've seen more good bucks being taken then ever before. All but one guy on our lease has taken a good buck so far and a lot of other bucks from the surrounding leases.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Dang sorry to hear about your heart attack, how are you healing up?

Weak as puppy piss!
The Doc said it will take awhile and I MUST lose 70 lbs or
not be here long!
Thanks for asking
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This season was too warm and the deer weren't moving.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, persistence and Shrapnel's lucky wool vest paid off, to fill my freezer at least.

Was setup looking over one of our best greenfields this morning, nothing moving, nothing at all. Wind was up, but steady out of the south. By about 10am I realized if I was going to see anything I had to make it happen.

The greenfield I was in was situated on top of a ridge with hardwood bottoms containing a creek to my south east.

I put a stalk on with the wind in my face, move 5 yards wait 5 minutes and repeat. about 15 minutes into my stalk I heard something.

Spotted a young buck working a scrape line coming my way. He was about 30 yards out and I made the choice to take him.

Bang flop. 130gr Sierra GameKing quartering towards me. Placed the shot right infront of the shoulder faceing me, no exit. Meat for the freezer

[Linked Image]

Entry spot

[Linked Image]

Lucky vest

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meat!

[Linked Image]

Oh and I got a call that my great uncle shot an 8pt tonight across the road from our land, in his back yard... tired

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
congrats and you have time left.

Sometimes they come to you but IME not too often.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NICE!
I hate you smile!

Molan Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was a lot of messed up weather this year in AL. The past couple of weeks have been good for me though. The rut hitting helps more than a little......I LOVE January...

From 1/8 and 1/9:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From 1/18:

[Linked Image]

Getting after the rubs:

[Linked Image]

Died just a few steps from each other at sunrise after a steep climb to the top of the mountain...1 year and 2 days apart:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The season across much of TX was the same as yours with fairly high temps but the real problem was the near record rainfalls that have semi-arid country looking like an oasis in January. We finally had a decent frost overnight Saturday that may finally kill off some of the bountiful browse that is growing everywhere and get the deer coming in. We have a month and a half to see what happens since we are on an MLD program.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang JCM where are you hunting?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
NE AL, pretty close to Skyline.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha, I'm hunting south east Montgomery county, close to Pine Level. They are just starting to rut this week down here.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Our first two weeks of November were pretty good, with good rut behavior and movement. After that it was all over. High temperatures and excessive rainfall ruined the hunting until the end of the season. I was squirrel hunting in the early season so I missed my opportunities. Hopefully next year we get a bumper crop of whitetails.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunted south of Selma for five days beginning on Jan 3rd. Seen about half the number of deer I usually see. Managed to shoot two small bucks and a doe.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
warm weather here in va. made for hard hunting .i managed to kill 2 nice bucks but lots of my friends didn't do so well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.