Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
If one was to move to Alaska, what part of the state offers the greatest hunting opportunities without the need for an airplane ride to access it, or doesn't that exist?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Depends on how far you can walk.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What species do you want to hunt?

Not all species can be found in all parts of the state, so narrow down your species.

SE with a good boat wouldn't suck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Moving to AK for the hunting is not the way to go... the hunting is not nearly what we all used to hear... in fact there is less game than I ever expected to see.

What is there, though, at times can be concentrated.

Moving to fish, thats the ticket!

But as watch noted... how far do you want to or can walk. How many ATVs do you own or want to.

Where we are moving, south of Fairbanks is good for sheep, moose, caribou and bears but hours and hours from blacktails and salt fishing.

The further from civilization obviously the less people you see. Which is our goal as best we can. I don't mind not seeing game, I do mind seeing people.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
How many ATVs do you own or want to.

Or can stand having around.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
or have tags for... LOL... i never win that tag lottery....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gentlemen asked and answered Alaska is a no go, kind of what I figured but there is no crime in asking. Thanks for the insight. I would be relocating for a job not so much just for hunting.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not a no go, it's a complicated answer. Depending on what tags you draw you can hunt moose, black bear, dall sheep, and mountain goats within 1/2 hour drive of Anchorage. Add a couple more hours to the drive and you'll be in range of various caribou herds as well as brown bear. The bigger question is what are the odds of drawing those tags, some are over the counter tags but what are the odds of being successful in those hunts?

If you want to be successful hunting big game in Alaska you need to put in the time and money and most likely buy a specialized vehicle to access game which could be boats, 4 wheelers or a plane. Then again there are also areas that are closed to power vehicles where if you're willing to burn shoe leather to get away from the roads you can also be successful.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
at least its not all in one area... that would concentrate the folks worse. LOL

If moving for a job, which you didn't state to start with, then whats most important on the hunting list or fishing list... what climate can you handle and so on....

Then you narrow it down vs job opportunities... and what areas is a job possible? Teaching could be ANYWHERE... other jobs not so much...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the job come with a choice of locations?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you only mentioned no flying and didn't specify no boat I would say the SE panhandle or Kodiak might suit your requirements

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
If one was to move to Alaska, what part of the state offers the greatest hunting opportunities without the need for an airplane ride to access it, or doesn't that exist?

Strictly within those requirements... anywhere within the road system.

If you are talking "local", then the story changes. Currently a resident in Homer can drive to the Brooks and hunt sheep every year, although it would be a nicer drive from FBKS. There are registration (no drawing) goat tags on the road system. Grizz tags are free, and not even needed in some areas.

There is a book published by Fish and Game that goes into significant detail on what you can hunt where, when and how.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f...BC0B38917791C11/regulations_complete.pdf

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
SE with a good boat and you can slay deer, goat, bear (black & brown), elk and moose.

Living where there is a good deer population would be a must for me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.