Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Over Christmas break I took a long at just about every type of hunting clothing I could find. I already have alot of mountaineering type gear that includes Patagonia, Outdoor Research, North Face, Lowa Alpine etc. you get the picture. Not including pants, the only real difference I could see was that the rest of my stuff isn't camoflage and just a bit noiser. I figure that the only thing I really need are pants and everything I tried on I hated. Fortunately my "old style" Microfleece are still in good shape so I might be good for a few years. Am I missing something?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No, not really. If they work for you, then they are fine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was missing some "quiet pants" like you'd find with fleece material. A lot of high end stuff like Kuiu and Sitka are noisy to the point my buddy in AK gets real adamant on "quiet pants".

Well, browsing thru Fleet Farm at the end of Nov. I found some camo fleece pants marked down to $15. While I prefer to hunt in solid earth tones, I couldn't pass this up.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No really missing much. It's often little things, like sometimes a pocket is better for carrying a hunting item, color is more muted, it's more cold weather / late season, or often less of an alpine cut. Some hunting specific items work really well, but so do some other brands. Personally, I don't think much of the better hunting gear has much of a retail presence except Sitka. Most I have seen at larger retailers, is not stuff I would use and I would consider more "tree stand" gear instead of mountain gear.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I walk into a outdoor hunting store and go to the cloths section the first thing I do is feel the outer material to see how noisy it is. Most of the high end stuff put out now is very noisy no matter what they tell you. I like the fleece stuff because it is quite. Low land deer hunting I am not that picky, but when I am in the mountains stalking through the trees I want it to be silent.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much difference between hiking and hunting, except the rifle. Head to toe camo and a blaze orange vest and hat never made much sense anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Camo is totally oversold. It's simply not needed for rifle hunting. Any muted color works just fine. Noise is another issue. Nylon rubbing against brush will get their attention.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I bought some First Lite pants that are quiet. Light weight pants and I like them, somewhat.However I'm not sure they were worth the "on sale" price I paid. I've used the 1 fall and have several holes torn into them. I got into a briar thicket following blood, so the holes are not an indication of poor quality pants. The cargo pockets are small and toward the front of the leg, which I don't really like.
I wore some Kuiu pants that belong to my son that are hands down the most comfortable huntin pants I've ever had on. I wish I had purchased them instead of FL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Camo is totally oversold. It's simply not needed for rifle hunting. Any muted color works just fine. Noise is another issue. Nylon rubbing against brush will get their attention.

I see a lot of it worn by fellows from the cities and it never fails to mesmerise me...I just didn't know there was so much variety about, and if it works than good for them.

Locals here just hunt in their work clothes as we are pretty sure the big white Toyota we drove up in stands out more.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.