Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
D-Deer.... no, I haven't posted it yet. I've got it half-written, formatted for magazine publication (1500 words) but need to buckle down and finish it.

I'm also working on a project on double rifles. Doubles seem to be all the rage these days, even among men who can't/won't shoot SXS shotguns on game birds... which baffles me, as a dedicated SXS shotgun man. I have a small double rifle (9.3X74R), and several friends with .416's, .400/.470's, and a .470. I'm trying to organize a group class for all of us at a double-rifle shooting school, where we can shoot all the rifles and get a broader experience, then write it up for a gun rag. We'll see how that goes. It's gonna be spendy!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by DocRocket
KB... I always thought a safari was out of my financial reach, too, until I really looked into it. I found the cost could be far more reasonable than I had feared. I also found that by putting money aside from every paycheck, I saved more than enough funds over the three years of planning and waiting to pay for the safari, airfare, and taxidermy. Planning is the key. Not only is it smart, it becomes part of the fun.

I'm on that road, Doc.
I will go sooner, rather then later.
I may be dead later. smile
An average Joe can go.
Thanks.

That's the fact most guys fail to put enough emphasis on. "I'll do it in a couple-three years, after I get X/Y/Z done..." Then they get a heart attack, or cancer, or a bad knee, and it never happens.

You need to do it now. Tomorrow may never happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wageslave
KB... I always thought a safari was out of my financial reach, too, until I really looked into it. I found the cost could be far more reasonable than I had feared. I also found that by putting money aside from every paycheck, I saved more than enough funds over the three years of planning and waiting to pay for the safari, airfare, and taxidermy. Planning is the key. Not only is it smart, it becomes part of the fun.

I'm on that road, Doc.
I will go sooner, rather then later.
I may be dead later. smile
An average Joe can go.
Thanks.

That's the fact most guys fail to put enough emphasis on. "I'll do it in a couple-three years, after I get X/Y/Z done..." Then they get a heart attack, or cancer, or a bad knee, and it never happens.

You need to do it now. Tomorrow may never happen.

As some one who has ALWAYS "Next Year" my whole life away and
"Some Day will go to africa with my Winchester 1895 405 WCF"
then THIS happened to me this past year:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...son_over_for_me_Heart_Attac#Post10766478

Molan Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Doc-Thank you so much for the read. I've spent the last four years away from Hunting largely in part to being on call for work. Your post reminds me of why I love it so much. I feel like I need to drive from Austin to SA to buy you lunch and here more! -Elijah

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very enjoyable read. You had a heck of a hunt, with a heck of a PH.

I am down to two outfits for a '17 Buffalo/Eland/Hyena hunt, one in Zim (John) and one in Moz.

A story like this only cements everything I have heard about John. I had a chance to meet him at DSC and he was very approachable and personable. Of course, I didn't do anything to make him mad! wink

Question on the weather....you hunted late August/Early September and it was already near 100F?

I live in Houston, but I do believe I'd hope for cooler weather! I thought it didn't get hot until October?

What was the normal temp range for your hunt, if you don't mind?

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunted with John, twice, the first hunt in what is now the Bubye, was from 01-14 Sept. Cool mornings, but by 1000 the temps were above 100F but practically zero humidity. It was hot, but a lot more bearable than what I suffer here in Florida, 90deg and 90% humidity. The second hunt was 01-15 June, and the weather was perfect, Low 50s to mid 70s and little or no humidity.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Tarbe, as Jorge says, the temps are supposed to be in the 90's or a bit above at that time of year. Even though it was quite hot, it cooled off quickly in the evening. I live in west Texas, so was acclimated to temps like these, and I was very comfortable.

The high temps I saw are very unusual, likewise the rain for the last 3 days was VERY unusual. Rain usually doesn't happen other than a light shower until the real rains arrive in late October.

Last edited by DocRocket; 01/20/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
September starts getting warm. Went one year to Zambia first week in Oct - whoa! 106ºF mid day. Nights were good due to low humidity. Also, went one year to Zambai early July and froze in the A.M.! No kidding, 39ºf at day break, and upper 60's midday. It was a cold winter for them.

Had to laugh, as I called my PH the week before and his wife Laura warned me that it was unually cold, and to pack for it. Knowing they were raised in Zambia and Malawi, I had to ask cold for them or cold for me? Her answer was priceless - "Our Swedish clients here now are complaining about the cold!!!"

Dawn rides in an open vehicle would freeze your nuts. We started grabbing blankets off of the bed for that ride. DuPlooy bundled up like an eskimo. Funny sight to behold. Once the sun was up, it was very pleasant. Goes to show Africa has its extremes.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks gents.

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.