Print Thread
Hop To
#10852288 01/09/16
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Snow boots, snow packs, what do you like?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The neoprene tops muck boots for "warmer days" the standard sorel pack boot for "normal days" and the -70 rated sorel for cold days.

For very active days in the -20 range i have been surpised how effective merrel hiking shoes and sealskinz heavy socks can be.

Activity and temperature as we all know govern choice in footwear.

Wabigoon i hope today finds you well. All the best.

GRF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GRF & wabigoon;
Top of the morning to both of you fine gentlemen, I trust this finds both of you and your respective families well.

For years I've been wearing a pigskin topped Sorel with an air bob sole that's about perfect for our often wetter snow conditions here in southern BC. They were the older style with quite a high top on them and were still made here in Canada.

Sadly the last time I saw them for sale at the local Mark's they were made in Viet Nam and neither the leather, nor the sole felt the same quality. Now I see that Sorel has dropped them altogether, so there you have it.

For us in the steeper places, the old Bean type sole will mean several falls an hour at best. Where my good friend and I were calling coyotes in the canyon up behind our place yesterday, any fall might be terminal....

Anyway I'll be looking for Schnee's it would appear - or perhaps someone to resole the Sorel boots with new air bob soles when these are worn down.

All the best to you both - and your fine families of course as well - in 2016.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Schnees Pac Boots for moderately cold and VBs [vapor barrier "bunny boots"] for extreme cold.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a pair of Sorels that have seen many, many cold winters. They have stood up quite well to the abuse have given them, albeit abuse as in hard use. They still have a few more winters left to be sure. Too bad they are no longer available.

The last couple years I have been wearing the 13 inch high Kennetrek pak boots quite a bit. So far I am impressed. As a diabetic I take cold feet very seriously.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Several years ago, I bought a pair of North Face winter hikers from Gander Mountain in upstate New York. These are, by far, the best winter boot I have ever had. Perhaps not as warm as a pair of Sorels I had with real sheepskin liners but much, much, better to walk in and they fit better in my snowshoe harness. GD

If I'm hiking around a lot then I hear my reg merrell hiking boot with gators on. If I'm only doing a little walking my sorrels (had the same pair for 17 years and my dad has had his at least 20) When really cold I wear my windriver -100(like i'd even go out in that weather) boots they're really bulky and suck to walk in I can't drive with them on they don't fit between break and side wall

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, the Bean chain tread is definitly only good on the flats. Leafy slopes become a slip-n-slide with them. Also, the ones without a sole shank allow rocks and lumpy frozen ground to bruise your insteps. Most of the insulated ones have shanks and better soles are available as well on many models. Their quality is first-rate and they can be rebuilt.

Last Fall, I got a pair of 800 gram Danners that are 'Merican made and really toasty. We've had no snow as yet, but with Gore-Tex and moderate Vibram soles I expect they'll do well.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I'll tell ya what not to buy...

I had a pair of Columbia branded ones I paid $130 for...

was recently up near Crater Lake, where they have about 12 to 14 feet of snow on the ground, up around at 6,000 ft altitude...

these boots have only been out being used in heavy snow like that, maybe 4 or 5 times...

they virtually started disintegrating on me... was up there over night helping out with the Boy Scouts for their annual winter event....only thing that kept my feet dry, was putting a couple of bread bags over my socks, and putting the boots back on...

I'll be up in Potland for business next week.. I plan on stopping by Columbia's main office and take them in, put them on the receptionists desk and ask for customer service.... and inquiring how much more for a pair that don't do this???

they weren't coming apart, they were virtually disintegrating.... oh, Made in Vietnam...so guess the little zipper heads are getting back at North America for the Vietnam War still...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been there. Bought a pair of name-brand Bean Boot knockoffs on sale in a department store for dog walking. They stared to evaporate within weeks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Warmest boots I own are Baffin boots rated to -100C. Pair them up with some Darn Tough Wool Socks and I'm good for most anything. I use this combo for most anything where I and sedentary outside. I also have a pair of Dunlop insulated rubber boots that are rated to -40C. I use these more in spring, but to be honest I hate walking around in rubber boots.

Sorels used to be good, and Kamik's were okay (still have a pair that I slip on to take the dog out, grab firewood, etc.) but I think Baffin's are the way to go now.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Baffins; that a name I haven't seen in a while, mind you I haven't looked for winter boots for a while

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Peavey Mart carries Baffins. So does Marks.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks Troutfly, next time in Peavey Mart I will have a look.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have three pair of boots that I use primarily for hunting that work well but, not in all terrain and weather conditions. The warmest boots that I own are my Baffin Control Max. They are really warm, comfy and great for sitting in really cold conditions but, I wouldn't want to walk very far in them. They are BIG and bulky. My Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are the finest boots I own for mountain hunting. I've used them the past 4 years elk hunting in CO in snow and fairly cold conditions. They are also OK for warmer conditions as well. While my feet get a bit cold in them in snow and colder temps, I have found that by staying active, my feet warm up after a while and stay warm.

In my opinion, Pac boots fall somewhere between snow boots and leather mountain boots for comfort and keeping your feet warm. Again, just my opinion, but they work better than snow boots if you are doing a lot of walking or stalking as a hiker or hunter. My pac boots are Kenetrek Grizzly's and, although they are heavier boots than my mountain boots, they are warm, comfortable and much easier to walk in than my Baffin snow boots. Kenetrek boots fit my feet well but, there are other great mountain and pac boots that may be a better fit for others.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/15/16.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I received a pair of Kenetrek 13" Northerns in the fall of 2014 and they have absolutely changed my enjoyment of the outdoors for the better. Probably one of my most cherished pieces of gear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
The warmest boots that I own are my Baffin Control Max. They are really warm, comfy and great for sitting in really cold conditions but, I wouldn't want to walk very far in them. They are BIG and bulky.

Yeah. Mine are nice and warm, but they are quite heavy. I was okay with the trade off as I usually use them while ice fishing, which tends to be pretty sedentary once you are set up.

I've yet to find a lighter pair of boots that are as warm though. Might have to look at the Kenetreks you guys were talking about.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Originally Posted by Biggs300
The warmest boots that I own are my Baffin Control Max. They are really warm, comfy and great for sitting in really cold conditions but, I wouldn't want to walk very far in them. They are BIG and bulky.

Yeah. Mine are nice and warm, but they are quite heavy. I was okay with the trade off as I usually use them while ice fishing, which tends to be pretty sedentary once you are set up.

I've yet to find a lighter pair of boots that are as warm though. Might have to look at the Kenetreks you guys were talking about.

SS

When you are looking at the Kennetreks online, there is a link to the Canadian Distributor. He is located in BC and has great service.
FWIW he had a booth at the Edmonton Sportsmans show last time I was there or 3 years ago.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.