24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^This is probably pretty true.^^^ And remember to aim where the bird will be, not where the bird is at.

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So, yesterday turned out to be the worst possible day to do my first ever upland bird hunt. 30mph winds on top of a 11*F ambient temperature meant a BIG challenge. The guide I had even said it would likely be the worst hunting experience I'll ever have, but since I'd already driven 2.5 hours to get there, I said "screw it, let's do this thing!"

Bird #1: Stupid cross-bolt safety on the Mossberg
Bird #2: Lead him by a bit more than I would have on a calm day, apparently it wasn't enough
Bird #3: Lead her by even more than bird #2, still not enough
Bird #4: Chuckars are frikken wily little bastards aren't they?!
Bird #5: He's not going to be flashing those tailfeathers much, but apparently you need 5' of lead on a bird in 30 mph winds to get the shot to land where it needs to.
Bird #6: Apparently this chuckar has watched a little too much top gun. I'm pretty sure he was inverted over me at some point flippin' me the bird.

I got SKUNKED and I'm not afraid to admit it. I still had a great time though and the preserve I hunted was really great. It wasn't their fault so much as mine and the weather. Hoping to go back again later this spring when I don't have to contend with gale force winds.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I see your hunt has come and gone but practical advice Im still gonna share is dress In layers and wear comfortable boots.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I see your hunt has come and gone but practical advice Im still gonna share is dress In layers and wear comfortable boots.

That's exactly what I did. Glad for it too.

Sythetic wicking long underwear and t-shirt as the base layer, flannel lined cargo pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt as the second layer, the camo bibbs and another short-sleeved t-shirt as the third layer with a wind-proof fleece-lined jacket as the outer shell. Waterproof insulated hunting boots with wicking sock liners and synthetic hiking socks under those and a sweat-wicking winter had for the top of my chrome dome. I did glove liners and flip-up mitten-gloves for my hands too. Left the trigger finger out on the right hand and tucked the other four fingers into the mitten part. Left hand stayed in the mitten unless I was having to grab something (like shells for reloading)

Only thing that took a beating was my pride and my face. I threw a shemagh around my neck which helped cut the wind a bit too. I also had a blaze orange vest on, but just a thin one. I was perfectly warm the whole time, but the extra bulk made the length of pull on my Mossberg a bit long which didn't help either. I think I would have done much better with my SxS, but was told full choke wouldn't be good for a windy day.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tallen702
So, yesterday turned out to be the worst possible day to do my first ever upland bird hunt. 30mph winds on top of a 11*F ambient temperature meant a BIG challenge. The guide I had even said it would likely be the worst hunting experience I'll ever have, but since I'd already driven 2.5 hours to get there, I said "screw it, let's do this thing!"

Bird #1: Stupid cross-bolt safety on the Mossberg
Bird #2: Lead him by a bit more than I would have on a calm day, apparently it wasn't enough
Bird #3: Lead her by even more than bird #2, still not enough
Bird #4: Chuckars are frikken wily little bastards aren't they?!
Bird #5: He's not going to be flashing those tailfeathers much, but apparently you need 5' of lead on a bird in 30 mph winds to get the shot to land where it needs to.
Bird #6: Apparently this chuckar has watched a little too much top gun. I'm pretty sure he was inverted over me at some point flippin' me the bird.

I got SKUNKED and I'm not afraid to admit it. I still had a great time though and the preserve I hunted was really great. It wasn't their fault so much as mine and the weather. Hoping to go back again later this spring when I don't have to contend with gale force winds.

Bird hunting in that kind of wind just sucks, done it many times in Nebraska. I used 1 3/8 oz of magnum #4's at 1350 (reloaded)which did fine until the birds turned with the wind and they were gone....like a F-16.

Doc

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.