Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered several pieces of First Lite merino wool base layers during the MidwayUSA sale. They arrived. The fit and quality is excellent. My issue is that they feel a bit like wool on my skin. I have not washed them.

I need to decide if I want to keep them. They feel really soft but against my skin they feel scratchy, especially when I put a pack on. I had the same experience with Icebreaker several years ago but thought I'd give the First Lite a try. Does the First Lite merino 'soften' up after they are washed? Or do I just have wimpy skin? Starting to think the later.............

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
They will get softer after a wash or two. Merino can't be beat in my opinion. I wash and hang to dry so it lasts longer.

Good Shooting!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They are wool afterall...

My wife is sensitive, even soft to me, smartwool itches to her... I had bought her cabelas wool pants and hooded jacket years ago... no way in hell she wears them... lol.. but put a thin silk under and life is good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mine seemed to soften up after the first wash.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Never had any problem with Ulfrotte wool base layer. Its pretty warm though so I usually don't break it out till December stand hunting or ice fishing.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Smartwool is very good. To me not scratchy at all.

Sometimes I use a merino wool sweater as base layer if it's real cold and they work swell. Cashmere sweaters I grab on sale as well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I recently purchased a Kuiu merino top. At first I thought there was no way in the world I could ever wear it; as scratchy as you can imagine. Washing didn't help much but when I finally made the move to the dryer with low heat and fabric softener, bingo! Wore it five days straight on a recent hunt, as comfortable as can be, and I have very sensitive skin so thats saying something.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wear Smart Wool Merino 250 as base layer. Very comfortable.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a base layer of silk under my wool...perfect

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might try Ice Breakers from New Zealand? I was there and handled some of the tops and long johns and they are very smooth and not scratchy at all. Merino wool.There are dealers in The US.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After talking with a bunch of people and doing Googlefu on merino wool 'scratchiness', I've decided to try the FL merino. The issue is one of 3 things:

1. Loose wool fibers in the material that will come out when washed a time or two.

2. "Sizing" material on the fibers. Sizing is some type of chemical used to help initially/start knitting the fibers.

3. i have wimpy skin.

I have base layers that are 50% merino and wear them with zero issues. In fact, I didn't even know they had merino in them till I read the tag. They are a Duofold product and no longer made. The only issue with them is that they smell after a hard day or two. And not just a little.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered a pair of the Sitka gear long bottoms last year because the deal was awesome. They are the best longies I've ever had. Bar none.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look up wool diaper suppliers. They have a lanolin fabric softener for wool that softens and rejuvenates the fibers. These are organic and hypo allergenic so good literally for a babies bottom. Helps with waterproofing pants too.

First lite are good products so I don't think
Icebreaker or any of the others would be a huge difference.

Last edited by Tejano; 01/22/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Merino quality varies but if you have tried Icebreaker then your skin just does not like what for many of us is the best. I have worn long sleeved Ts in the Australian outback at over 120 and mountain hunted with it in the 20s and would not use anything else.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Icebreakers feel almost like silk or cotton to me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I are big Icebreaker fans, they make an outstanding product. I live in mine late fall, winter and early spring.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Buy the thinnest, cheapest cashmere sweater that you can afford. They work great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Omni Wool stuff is great. Doesn't shrink, super soft, doesn't itch.
Nice thin layer that really works.
http://www.amazon.com/Omni-Wool-Dual-Layer-Thermal-Bottoms-Baselayer/dp/B019G88ZP8

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My wife brought a pair of those home from Sam's club. They are nice when your just hanging out. But when you work up a sweat they get pretty clammy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I really like Minus 33 merino, no itch at all to me...same as Smartwool. Kuiu merino was not nearly as comfortable for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.