Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice rig. Stainless barrel and stock look great!

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That is a really good looking build...and I know you've had a few prior. Glad you went with a custom action?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everybody. I'm real happy with the way this one turned out and am excited to get it out and shoot it. The Bighorn action is super sweet and the EH6 shoulders well and feels great!

Originally Posted by Akbob5
That is a really good looking build...and I know you've had a few prior. Glad you went with a custom action?

Yes, I decided a while ago I would build a rifle to pass on to each of my children.

[Linked Image]

I'm at 3 and my wife still wants one more. I'm a little unsure but what's a man to do?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Thanks everybody. I'm real happy with the way this one turned out and am excited to get it out and shoot it. The Bighorn action is super sweet and the EH6 shoulders well and feels great!

Yes, I decided a while ago I would build a rifle to pass on to each of my children.

[Linked Image]

I'm at 3 and my wife still wants one more. I'm a little unsure but what's a man to do?

Very nice, good man!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

I'd just "practice" making babies and actually build more rilfles.........

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/24/16.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Talk about a do all hunting rig. Nice build, enjoy....I am just looking at it. Very very nice. Congrats.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome, one of my favorite builds I've seen in awhile. Is the hawkins bm steel or aluminum?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300MAG

[Linked Image]

I'd just "practice" making babies and actually build more rilfles.........

Sound advice.

Originally Posted by cast10K
Awesome, one of my favorite builds I've seen in awhile. Is the hawkins bm steel or aluminum?

It is aluminum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice setup you got there.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice work! Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I just ordered the Bighorn Arms SR2 SA and I can't wait to get my hands on it...building a .260 for my youngest kid (the only rifle I'm going to buy/build for him).

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Easy.......that turned out very nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's she shoot??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hess
Nice work! Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I just ordered the Bighorn Arms SR2 SA and I can't wait to get my hands on it...building a .260 for my youngest kid (the only rifle I'm going to buy/build for him).

You'll love the bighorn.

How's she shoot??

As luck would have it, snowstorms keep hitting on the days I have off. Itching to get out there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How's she shoot??

Finally took her out today. I would say she shoots well for the first time out. Here is the only 3 shot group I did after getting it sighted in. I only put 6 rounds total. Thinking I may want a higher power scope.

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had a first for me today. As you can see I'm shooting prone out of the bed of my truck. A truck pulls up next to me, so I pop my head up a few time trying to determine what he is doing. After a few seconds he gets out of his truck and is starting to walk down range (mind you this is a one person lane). I yell, "what are you doing?". I startled him to the point he said he almost drew his weapon on me. OK? Then tells me he didn't know anyone was there. My remark, "was the truck not a good enough indicator?" Of course not, he then goes on to tell me that I remind him of this mass murderer who shot people lying in their vehicle just as I was.

Ha ha, Who the heck was this joker?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tough neighborhood LOL!

Nice rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So what action is your favorite and why? Borden, Defiance, and Bighorn. Nice choices!

Compare/contrast

Now go buy some darn reloading equipment ha!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
How's she shoot??

Finally took her out today. I would say she shoots well for the first time out. Here is the only 3 shot group I did after getting it sighted in. I only put 6 rounds total. Thinking I may want a higher power scope.

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had a first for me today. As you can see I'm shooting prone out of the bed of my truck. A truck pulls up next to me, so I pop my head up a few time trying to determine what he is doing. After a few seconds he gets out of his truck and is starting to walk down range (mind you this is a one person lane). I yell, "what are you doing?". I startled him to the point he said he almost drew his weapon on me. OK? Then tells me he didn't know anyone was there. My remark, "was the truck not a good enough indicator?" Of course not, he then goes on to tell me that I remind him of this mass murderer who shot people lying in their vehicle just as I was.

Easy...which reticle are you using?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
So what action is your favorite and why? Borden, Defiance, and Bighorn. Nice choices!

Compare/contrast

Now go buy some darn reloading equipment ha!

They are all nice obviously and do what they should, but I would give the nod to bighorn.

The integral lug and bolt head swap were a couple reasons I went with it. It's the smoothest of the three and I like it's handle.

I also like the Borden's handle and it has the better bolt lift, but it's also the only two piece of the three.

I thought if I built again I would use the defiance lightweight hunter, now I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
How's she shoot??

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Easy...which reticle are you using?

MOAR

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Can someone educate on me on the mini-chassis thing?

I was on the phone with manners about it, sounds like a machined aluminum block they inlet into the stock, and according to manners, eliminates the need for stock bedding.

They also said it adds around 12oz to the stock weight, which sounds pretty significant for a light stock like this. What has your experience been?

D
D
Congrats on a very nice rifle. I've been thinking over which action to use for my 2017 build and am leaning more towards a Bighorn every time I read a review of one. Thanks for posting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (2UP, 69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,348 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.