Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well it's been 15 months since I first ordered the parts. I was trying for something solid with the possibility of doing a switch barrel non-mag/mag combo. Enter the bighorn action.

I haven't yet ventured into loading ammo so thinking availability/affordability was forefront in my mind. Enter the 30-06.

After I had all my parts I was really tempted to first start with the 28 nosler, but decided to not scratch that itch yet.

I shipped everything off to Tim Cronin of Elkhorn Precision and before long it all came back!

I'm not fully set on the scope but for now I think it fits the package well.

Specs

-Bighorn SR2 long action.
-Manners EH6 w/ BDL chassis
-Bartlein 2b
-Hawk Hill bottom metal
-Jewel trigger
-Murphy Precision 2 piece base
-Nightforce 2.5-10x42 w/ ultralight rings

Sorry for the bad pic, but all I have for the moment.
[Linked Image]

The barrel came out a little shorter than desired. Curious what chrono readings people have seen with factory 30-06 ammo with abut a 21" barrel?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow! That turned out great.

The 21" tube isn't a deal breaker and I wouldn't change the scope unless you aren't going to dial. Even then, the illumination is a nice luxury.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sad thing is that I went shooting today. Had I only waited I may have made it out with this rifle. However, the UPS man never makes it to my house as early as he did today.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gled, my 30-06 has a 22.75 inch barrel. I can get 2900 with 165s and H4350 and 2800 with 180s and H4350. I'm not leaning on it hard, no pressure signs or anything.

Those are handloads, not factory, but I would still expect more than 2800 with 165s and 2700 with 180s.

Looks great BTW! I'm guessing around 6.75 lbs sans scope?

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 01/21/16.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks great! Really diggin' that stock.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Wow! That turned out great.

The 21" tube isn't a deal breaker and I wouldn't change the scope unless you aren't going to dial. Even then, the illumination is a nice luxury.

Even though the barrel length is shorter than hoped and the pic bipod rail was longer than expected I'm certainly liking it.

The scope is awesome. I know 10x is enough, but I do like extra mag.

Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Gled, my 30-06 has a 22.75 inch barrel. I can get 2900 with 165s and H4350 and 2800 with 180s and H4350. I'm not leaning on it hard, no pressure signs or anything.

Those are handloads, not factory, but I would still expect more than 2800 with 165s and 2700 with 180s.

Looks great BTW! I'm guessing around 6.75 lbs sans scope?

Thanks for the info Joe. Your guess on weight would have been about spot on, but the are a few unknowns adding extra weight. Like the BDL chassis, pic rail, and two flush cups with the stock.

It was 7.4# sans scope.

Originally Posted by drano 25
Looks great! Really diggin' that stock.

The stock is awesome. Extremely glad I went with it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am considering an EH6, if you could snag a few photos from all around I'd owe you a 6-pack should we ever meet!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Well it's been 15 months since I first ordered the parts. I was trying for something solid with the possibility of doing a switch barrel non-mag/mag combo. Enter the bighorn action.

I haven't yet ventured into loading ammo so thinking availability/affordability was forefront in my mind. Enter the 30-06.

After I had all my parts I was really tempted to first start with the 28 nosler, but decided to not scratch that itch yet.

I shipped everything off to Tim Cronin of Elkhorn Precision and before long it all came back!

I'm not fully set on the scope but for now I think it fits the package well.

Specs

-Bighorn SR2 long action.
-Manners EH6 w/ BDL chassis
-Bartlein 2b
-Hawk Hill bottom metal
-Jewel trigger
-Murphy Precision 2 piece base
-Nightforce 2.5-10x42 w/ ultralight rings
Sorry for the bad pic, but all I have for the moment.
[Linked Image]

The barrel came out a little shorter than desired. Curious what chrono readings people have seen with factory 30-06 ammo with abut a 21" barrel?

Looks good! What does it weigh? Where does it balance? And how does it shoot?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ClancyFromTexas
I am considering an EH6, if you could snag a few photos from all around I'd owe you a 6-pack should we ever meet!

Hopefully this helps to some degree.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a great stock. Thanks very much for the pictures!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty. Bet it shoots like crazy too. I've spoke with Tim on the phone several times and he seems like a real nice guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle...what color is the stock, midnight? I like it...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome build!! Everything about that is 1st class, congrats to you. Need to see that one propped up on a big bull elk:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice - Tim is a hell of a nice guy and even better gunsmith!!!

Did you use the 30-06 Serengetti reamer?? I am collecting parts as we speak to build a 30-06... gotta love that caliber!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/21/16.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
is that a hawkins bottom metal or a hawk hill as stated in your text

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gene270

Not stepping on OP's toes, just helping out...but that is Hawkins Precision bottom metal....Hawk Hill makes barrels!!

www.hawkinsprecision.com

www.hawkhillcustom.com

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/22/16.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That's a beauty. Bet it shoots like crazy too. I've spoke with Tim on the phone several times and he seems like a real nice guy.

Lots of good people in the industry and Tim is certainly one of them.

Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Nice rifle...what color is the stock, midnight? I like it...

Yes it's the midnight camo.

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Awesome build!! Everything about that is 1st class, congrats to you. Need to see that one propped up on a big bull elk:)

Agreed, just need to draw the tag smile

Originally Posted by 300MAG
Very nice - Tim is a hell of a nice guy and even better gunsmith!!!

Did you use the 30-06 Serengetti reamer?? I am collecting parts as we speak to build a 30-06... gotta love that caliber!!

Nothing special on this one. There's a lot of love for the 30-06, it's my first time owning the cartridge.

Originally Posted by gene270

I stand corrected. It's the hawkins bottom metal. Good catch.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it'd be OK for truck gun........ laugh

Just kidding, I really like everything about it.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Nice stick! Tim is a great guy to deal with..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice rig. Stainless barrel and stock look great!

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That is a really good looking build...and I know you've had a few prior. Glad you went with a custom action?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everybody. I'm real happy with the way this one turned out and am excited to get it out and shoot it. The Bighorn action is super sweet and the EH6 shoulders well and feels great!

Originally Posted by Akbob5
That is a really good looking build...and I know you've had a few prior. Glad you went with a custom action?

Yes, I decided a while ago I would build a rifle to pass on to each of my children.

[Linked Image]

I'm at 3 and my wife still wants one more. I'm a little unsure but what's a man to do?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks everybody. I'm real happy with the way this one turned out and am excited to get it out and shoot it. The Bighorn action is super sweet and the EH6 shoulders well and feels great!

Yes, I decided a while ago I would build a rifle to pass on to each of my children.

[Linked Image]

I'm at 3 and my wife still wants one more. I'm a little unsure but what's a man to do?

Very nice, good man!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

I'd just "practice" making babies and actually build more rilfles.........

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/24/16.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Talk about a do all hunting rig. Nice build, enjoy....I am just looking at it. Very very nice. Congrats.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome, one of my favorite builds I've seen in awhile. Is the hawkins bm steel or aluminum?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

I'd just "practice" making babies and actually build more rilfles.........

Sound advice.

Originally Posted by cast10K
Awesome, one of my favorite builds I've seen in awhile. Is the hawkins bm steel or aluminum?

It is aluminum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice setup you got there.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice work! Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I just ordered the Bighorn Arms SR2 SA and I can't wait to get my hands on it...building a .260 for my youngest kid (the only rifle I'm going to buy/build for him).

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Easy.......that turned out very nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's she shoot??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hess
Nice work! Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I just ordered the Bighorn Arms SR2 SA and I can't wait to get my hands on it...building a .260 for my youngest kid (the only rifle I'm going to buy/build for him).

You'll love the bighorn.

How's she shoot??

As luck would have it, snowstorms keep hitting on the days I have off. Itching to get out there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How's she shoot??

Finally took her out today. I would say she shoots well for the first time out. Here is the only 3 shot group I did after getting it sighted in. I only put 6 rounds total. Thinking I may want a higher power scope.

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had a first for me today. As you can see I'm shooting prone out of the bed of my truck. A truck pulls up next to me, so I pop my head up a few time trying to determine what he is doing. After a few seconds he gets out of his truck and is starting to walk down range (mind you this is a one person lane). I yell, "what are you doing?". I startled him to the point he said he almost drew his weapon on me. OK? Then tells me he didn't know anyone was there. My remark, "was the truck not a good enough indicator?" Of course not, he then goes on to tell me that I remind him of this mass murderer who shot people lying in their vehicle just as I was.

Ha ha, Who the heck was this joker?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tough neighborhood LOL!

Nice rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So what action is your favorite and why? Borden, Defiance, and Bighorn. Nice choices!

Compare/contrast

Now go buy some darn reloading equipment ha!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
How's she shoot??

Finally took her out today. I would say she shoots well for the first time out. Here is the only 3 shot group I did after getting it sighted in. I only put 6 rounds total. Thinking I may want a higher power scope.

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had a first for me today. As you can see I'm shooting prone out of the bed of my truck. A truck pulls up next to me, so I pop my head up a few time trying to determine what he is doing. After a few seconds he gets out of his truck and is starting to walk down range (mind you this is a one person lane). I yell, "what are you doing?". I startled him to the point he said he almost drew his weapon on me. OK? Then tells me he didn't know anyone was there. My remark, "was the truck not a good enough indicator?" Of course not, he then goes on to tell me that I remind him of this mass murderer who shot people lying in their vehicle just as I was.

Easy...which reticle are you using?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
So what action is your favorite and why? Borden, Defiance, and Bighorn. Nice choices!

Compare/contrast

Now go buy some darn reloading equipment ha!

They are all nice obviously and do what they should, but I would give the nod to bighorn.

The integral lug and bolt head swap were a couple reasons I went with it. It's the smoothest of the three and I like it's handle.

I also like the Borden's handle and it has the better bolt lift, but it's also the only two piece of the three.

I thought if I built again I would use the defiance lightweight hunter, now I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
How's she shoot??

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Easy...which reticle are you using?

MOAR

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Can someone educate on me on the mini-chassis thing?

I was on the phone with manners about it, sounds like a machined aluminum block they inlet into the stock, and according to manners, eliminates the need for stock bedding.

They also said it adds around 12oz to the stock weight, which sounds pretty significant for a light stock like this. What has your experience been?

D
D
Congrats on a very nice rifle. I've been thinking over which action to use for my 2017 build and am leaning more towards a Bighorn every time I read a review of one. Thanks for posting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How's she shoot??

Factory 165 gr NAB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beltway Sniper

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious what chrono readings people have seen with factory 30-06 ammo with abut a 21" barrel?

21 or 22" is my favorite 30-06 barrel length, and my favorite all-time 30-06 had a 21" barrel. Velocity readings were within 20 fps prior to cutting it from its original length.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is the only 3 shot group I did after getting it sighted in.

Any rifle that will shoot a 165 NAB like that is a keeper... that bullet is not one for small groups usually.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.