Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Its that time of the year! I am now booking our Aoudad hunts for this Fall and Early Next year.
I am based in west Texas and specialize in free range fair chase hunts. We do Guided, Semi Guided, and a few
self guided hunts on select ranches. We operate off of a very strict quota system on each property to keep
success rates high which are well into the 90%+ range on guided and self guided hunts combined.

I have approximately 500,00 acres to hunt on 9+ different ranches all varying in terrain, lodging, accessibility, etc.

The properties you are hunting I have exclusive access to (private land) and do not run back to back hunts. I set them up
for each hunter to have the best opportunity at a mature Ram. Single hunters or groups are welcome and I have lots
of references available on my website along with slideshows and detailed property descriptions to help make
your decision. I keep it updated at least once a week so availability is current.

We do have a high return booking rate so there are limited spots available on each property. When booking you will
deal with me directly so that I can answer any questions you may have in detail.

www.westtexashuntorg.com
Mike 915 328 0645 (Call or Text) - I am usually out hunting so please give me a day or two to respond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice rams!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How do they taste?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Has RickBin approved this message?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by achadwick

Hard to believe someone who has been a member as long as you would post such drivel. You must not actually read any hunting posts. Mike has been around a long time for good reason.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by achadwick

Yes he has and I hope to actually have him out on one of these some day.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
How do they taste?

Those old rams are tough eating but I am getting more and more hunters that like it with plenty of preparing

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, hope to do it again. Very rugged, but beautiful country.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mulie_mike,

What are typical ranges one might encounter while hunting? How about terrain difficulty?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On our ranches in far West Texas shots average 300 to 400 yards or further if comfortable shooting that far. Our other properties 250 to around 300 is average.

Terrain is rugged and physically challenging in far West Texas and a bit milder with more roads on the other properties but you will still work for it.

www.westtexashunt.com

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Pat we need to get something together Aoudad is high on my list

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mulie_mike
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
How do they taste?

Those old rams are tough eating but I am getting more and more hunters that like it with plenty of preparing

Mike, the ranch I've hunted aoudad and muleys on out west of you has a walk-in cooler they hang their aoudad in. Usual hang time is about 3 weeks, they tell me, because it needs that long for the toughness to come out. The aoudad steaks they cooked for me were delicious, and certainly tender enough. Like most wild game, it appears that the quality of the meat depends in large measure on the care given to the meat prior to final cut, wrap, and freezing.

Would you agree?

PS: this is a beautiful ram. Great mass on that guy! I've been hunting a couple of old boys this size two years now, going back in March for another kick at the cat!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DocRocket; 01/22/16. Reason: added photo

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good luck on your hunt. Yes care of the animal is definitely a major part of it. I've tried it many different ways and it's like any other animal where some are very gamey because of the food source or age and some are pretty tasty. Having a walk in cooler to age them would be a major help.

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soaking meat in ice water for a couple days is another approach to de-gaming meat. Typically easier than hanging it. Although there is a processor in Junction who will hang deer; maybe I could talk him into hanging the sheepgoat for me.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted pronghorn near Valentine a few years ago. Saw a lot of big aoudad in the mountains after we filled the pronghorn tags. Wasn't interested, but they are impressive looking.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I hunted pronghorn near Valentine a few years ago. Saw a lot of big aoudad in the mountains after we filled the pronghorn tags. Wasn't interested, but they are impressive looking.

We hunt just west and south of Valentine. Some big speed goats in that country.

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fellow near here keeps 'em in a fenced field and feeds 'em good stuff - makes for better tasting meat. It's a big field, so the hunt is about the same except no guide needed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Tag.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For all that have inquired about the Van Horn Ranch hunts we are all booked up for there now.

A few hunts left on the Devils River, Indio, and Terlingua area remain.

www.westtexashunt.com

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Pat we need to get something together Aoudad is high on my list

I would be in.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.