Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Neat project BD. Been fun to follow.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It has been interesting and educational. As a younger sort I imagined that only gun gurus were allowed to do this stuff. Finding that Loonies are allowed to participate has been some sport. laugh

Much encountered was anticipated, yet much was a learning experience. As example, in days gone by I've read cautionary notes suggesting that as little as .1 grain can make a difference. I scoffed at that, being of the mind that more coal was almost always a good thing and getting there was the point, as quickly as possible preferred. However, when this began I did a cursory search of the 'Net and found no data for the Sneezer. Imagine that?

So with guard rails in place and eyes open I commenced exploration w/o a ballistics lab to assist. Admittedly my parameters were a bit off the beaten track. ANYONE can fill a bigger case with more powder and make a louder boom, propelling small and large projectiles of various forms and construction methods. Question that came to mind however was if that was necessary in my circumstances. Experience with the Contender and CB shorts said no, quite emphatically. On another level I discovered out in Cody, Wy some years back that a bullet of cast or swagged lead moving at a leisurely pace could be quite effective in hitting the X at long range. Caused a pause it did. Likewise, I found that soft lead, paper patched, was a beast one does not want to be on the receiver of...a hog and the 77/44 taught me that. Then a deer and even an armadillo. Chunks is chunks.

Besides, being contrarian is part of the aging process from where I sit. Questioning the norm is healthy in my opinion.

Picked up pieces, looked it all over and created this oddity for a specific purpose and so far I'm enjoying the process quite a bit. The reamer is available if anyone wishes to join me. I will cast a hex upon thee if one loads jacketed bullets or tries to go supersonic. There are better alternatives for that.

Anyway, on to the 100 yard butt next time out, I gots to go do some case prep. grin

To preclude possible misconceptions, the Rigby is not for sale.

Hedging my bets in the swamps,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A re-barreled .357 Magnum 1894 Win would be interesting. 24" Barrel. Bolt face and action already there. How loud is your loads without the can? A can on a lever would be worse than putting a scope on one.

A sneezer repeater?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Don't recall if Winchester ever chambered .357 in the 94, but Marlin did so. Can on a lever gun? Needing some bleach for the imagination.

Don't jabber about aperture sights much but use them quite a bit. They work fine on lever guns and don't give up any meaningful degree of precision to scopes. Here and there I've posted a 10 shot group from a Marlin 94 that was 1.2" @ 50 yds. I'd think the Sneezer would be comfy with a lever action. .25-20 Winchester in a Marlin 94>>>is that sacrilege?

[Linked Image]

Most of the work to date was w/o muffler and in the 700-800 fps range I don't think it loud. It picks up a bit at 900-1000 fps , but isn't that bad

Last edited by DigitalDan; 01/01/16.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yea, Marlin will work I believe. I think the sneezer is to long for the Win '92. Might work in a '73. I 'd have to check. But having the bolt face already cut to .357 has it's advantages of course.

I use aperture/receiver sights on a lot of my guns. From pellet to .348 Win. Fast sighting they are.

Come to think of it. Would rather molest a Marlin (even a JM) than a Winchester. I think the follower would work. Your bullet profile should work in a tubular magazine also.

800 fps for a 183 gr. bullet would be a killer, don't you think?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Indeed, a fact well established over the years. Why even a 29 grain spit of lead at lower velocity has been known to whack a hog now and again.

[Linked Image]

FWIW, I'm loading these at 1.875" COAL which is .005" short of kissing the lands. That geometry puts the bullet base at the neck/shoulder junction. Listed C.O.A.L. for a small variety of cartridges used in leverguns per SAAMI spec:
.357 - 1.590"
.32-20 - 1.592"
.44-40 - 1.592"
.44 Special - 1.615"

Can seat the Sneezer bullets another .020" or so before it gets weird, so call it 1.855" +/- w/o doing any case mod. Then again, there's a lot of neck that can be trimmed there. Near a 1/2". There's another case out there that's maybe more practical for the leverguns and is called the .30 Badger, based on the .38 Spc. case. Second from the right:

[Linked Image]

Might give an idea which levergun could choke 'em down?

Last edited by DigitalDan; 01/01/16.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking that the bulk of load experiments are concluded for the most part. Day 5 at the range today was another learning experience, not only for what happened, but what did not happen.

Was a clear coolish day by Florida standards. Light frost this morning and it had warmed to the mid 30s by the time I hit the line. Unusually calm of a change, very sunny. Took along the accouterments which included a second chance for IMR4227 and SR4759, including the use of mag primers in a couple of strings. Also did a little change up with the Li'l Gun loads in that I did not size the bullets prior to loading. They cast at .310" and I'd been sizing to .309", but a sage out west suggested I try not sizing, so there you have it. 2 strings of 5 for the Lil Gun, one with the case unsized prior to loading, the other neck sized per previous practice.

2 Loads of SR4759 of the same charge, one w/standard SRP (WW SRP), the other with mag primers (CCI450). 4 loads of IMR4227 in an attempt to rathchet up velocity, with intent to find more consistent ES numbers as well as precision and cleaner burn for both powders. I was successful in both departments.

Mixed results were my reward. The ES number were reduced, but not by use of mag primers. Increasing powder charge did that and I actually had a drop in velocity with the SR4759 using the mag primers. It increased slightly with the 4227, but it was a very small single digit increment, not statistically significant in my book.

In order of firing:

Li'l Gun
[Linked Image]

SR4759
[Linked Image]

IMR4227
[Linked Image]

These groups are a little bit larger than the previous that I've posted. It was either because I was shivering or maybe because it was on the 100 yard line, who knows? I was parked beside a fellow shooting a full race 6mm PPC and he beat me fair and square. That said, the journey is not quite over, but I'm confident that the pigs are scared. Will be changing sights and do additional load workup on a more leisurely schedule down the road. Li'l Gun for now, zero with the muffler and hit the woods.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep, go play with that contraption.

Have fun but try not to over penetrate.

Gesundheit

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Time to get down to business I guess. Took the Leupold 2.5X compact off and replaced it with a Millet SP-1 red dot, went to the range and zeroed.

I was pleased to see the average group size hold together with the dot sight. Started with a couple of groups at 25 yards, then moved to the 50. About 3/4" with a 3 MOA dot is fairly consistent with other guns I've used them on and that's what I got. At least until I put the can on. It is common to have a shift in POI with one installed but I was a bit surprised by how much for this rig. POI went down 6" and right 1".

Wow....thought I'd missed the entire target board at first. Nonetheless, once the dial was cranked it came back up to where it belonged. Mystery I won't worry about much actually, it isn't likely I will shoot the gun much w/o the suppressor. Load was 6.4 gr. Li'l Gun, Dan's special mystery wax lube, nominal MV of 1025 fps. Two groups @ 50 w/o the suppressor averaged .86" and two with averaged .55", 3 shots each.

I've done a bit of examination with some ballistic software and find the consensus is that the bullet BC is ~.399 at the velocity I'm using. Zeroed 1/2" high at 50 yards gives fair close to dead on at 60 and close enough to .25-.7" high at 10 yard intervals starting at 20 yards. 90% of my shots at critters in this AO are inside of 30 yards, more often less than 20.

For anyone that is interested, the report is very muted. It sounds about like a medium soft cough or a....muffled sneeze. You know I had to say that, right? laugh

A bullet recovered today from damp sand actually gained a 1/2 grain of weight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm good to go.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.