Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by SeanD
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
If it were me, I would look into a 7-08,.260 Rem, or creed as said above. 270 Win is my favorite cartridge, but you will get the same performance out of a short action cartridge and 20" barrel.

I love the .270. If you just want that cartridge with a short barrel, go ahead. It will kill stuff.

I don't think a 270 needs a longer barrel than a 260 or 7mm-08. Whatever the performance difference between a 24" 270 and 24" 260 will be pretty much the same as between a 20" 270 and 20" 260.

Not in my experience. In any case, you just made the case for a short action cartridge. Why burn (waste) 20% more powder for similar results? The shorter barrel is more efficient on the shorter case. Just sayin...

No. You don't get it.

Short action is an ergo thing, nothing more.

No replacement for displacement.

Smaller cases are always more efficient than larger cases.

I don't believe their is any difference in optimal barrel length between a 270 or 260. Read Charlie Sisk's most excellent tread on the issue many years ago on this forum. Expect 20-25 fps on average per inch of barrel for either,

The 270 win outruns the 260 in every way except maybe bugholea at short range. No question. Berger has a 170gr 270 bullet that exceeds anything available in 6.5.

And I like 6.5, just built a custom 6.5 for fun. Long action of course.

But the 270 is not gay.......

Sean