Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
What is he black tape on the barrel for?

Spare pieces of electrical tape. When I hunt, I tape the muzzle. If I shoot it off, I've got spare pieces on the barrel. Someone asked if it damages the steel but I've never had an issue. Electrical tape is meant to contact wiring so it's non-corrosive and has a wide temp range.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Is that an SWFA SS scope?

It's the 3-9x MQ. I got it on Black Friday two years ago and almost sold it immediately. It quickly grew on me and might be my favorite now.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In any type of shooting situation while hunting, if it's over 150ish yards, I need to be shooting off my pack. Anything else is a recipe for disaster and a very long day up on a mountain or clearcut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why a 100 yard zero?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not bad. Heck, I doubt I could do that well with such a light rifle.
I suggest you zero for 200 yds. instead of 100.
What this kind of practice does for me is to tell me just what shooting position I must use for a given distance. I'm wasting my time trying for much over 75 yds. off hand for instance.
The other thing is that I can make a 75 yd. shot faster by taking the time to go to a sitting position than I can make hits using an off hand position. At 50 yds. however it's about even.
I found years ago that a good shooting sling really can shrink one's groups by 30%. My current favorite is the Safari Ching Sling. E

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When shooting prone,did you use the sling? At one time I shot on a rifle team and I found out that proper use of a sling from prone can be nearly as effective as bags on a table.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The shooting of a rifleman, and let the mere product testers scurry away and hide under their benches, bags and sleds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the same scope and rifle combination. It is quickly becoming my all time favorite. I plan to spend a lot of time with it this spring, shooting 300 to 400 yards from field positions.

Nice work.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear you Calvin. We did 100 yard offhand on paper plates and even that was tough. 150 seems like a decent limit while kneeling for now.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is nothing worse than making a questionable hit on a mountain, and have to burn valuable energy/time finding the animal before you even put it on your back and have to pack it out.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Why a 100 yard zero?

I've got turrets and mil-quad reticle. I can hold 1/2 mil high for 200, etc. just like a BDC reticle, or just set the turret for 200 and hunt that way so I'm not really limited.

I used to set zero from 200 to 300 yards, but any more I have turrets and MQ reticles on everything and it's easy for my simple brain to have my centerfires zeroed at 100, and 22's set at 50.

I'm also going to be practicing in different environmental conditions. To correct for different density altitude the ballistic solver uses a 100 yard zero.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
When shooting prone,did you use the sling? At one time I shot on a rifle team and I found out that proper use of a sling from prone can be nearly as effective as bags on a table.

I used the sling a few times at 190 yards (seated and offhand) and at 304 and 410 yards (unsupported prone).

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The positional target I've been shooting the last couple years has the following sizes:

7 moa - offhand
5 moa - sitting
3 moa - sitting supported
2 moa - prone off pack

The way I've been shooting it has a timed and an untimed component. Untimed I rarely miss, timed sometimes it gets me. Doing position work, with both dry and live fire, has certainly improved my game. For the purposes of practice I should probably go to tighter targets and start missing more.

I don't have anything as light, or with as much recoil as your Montana. I'd be interested to see how much more difficult it would be equipped that way.

Empirical results rule!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks for the comments fellas. I wouldn't mind seeing how other people shoot for practice. Positions, aids, expectations, etc.

I make my own shoot n see targets so the hits are easy to mark. The farmer who owns the land near my home lets me use his field, so I can shoot safely out to 500 yards. A big hill is the backstop. I hunt with a T3 in 7mm-08, as does my dad. We tend to shoot together a lot.

I use a Primos Trigger Stick tripod from a sitting position. I tried prone over a pack as well as a bipod, I'm a far better shot seated with the tripod.

Here's the drill:

The shooter, in hunting gear (including backpack), walks parallel to the target. The caller says "there he is" or words to that effect. The shooter then turns, acquires the target, gets the range with the rangefinder, then deploys the tripod as he sits. The shooter gets two shots, "take your time in a hurry," and must call them both based on the sight picture when the gun goes off. Hits (or lack there of) are confirmed via spotting scope. Trade places, repeat.

My dad's scope does not have CDS, mine does. He doesn't shoot past 250 yards (damn Father Time) so I get more time to spin a turret. This practice is a lot of fun and it really hones your skills.

Plus, it's a great way to spend a morning with my dad. Expectations are 100% hits in the 14"x16" kill zone.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My club has an approx 10"x20" plate at 200yds. Offhand practice is a lot of fun. A sling makes a big difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff 4th Point. Looks VERY similar to my AO for longer range stuff out west of Eugene.

I've been thinking I need to set up my LR spots with some steel hanging closer for field position practice. It's humbling for SURE. I need ground or tree contact beyond a certain point; I think Calvin's 150 yards is about right, though I did kill an elk at further than that, offhand.

Great post and inspiring me to get off my butt and practice this stuff more. I like to HIT things so getting prone is my first choice when practicing. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We've seen this one before.... but it's applicable here.... so here's a few rounds off the ruck with a 7lb gun.... wind was howling. Tikka .243 with 87 vmax doesn't cheat a lot of wind....

[video:youtube]rUAsSgxDMhQ[/video]

Here are the results up close.... that's a 12" round with a clay-pigeon for the center circle. Frankly.... I wouldn't have taken a shot at a critter over about 300 in those conditions....

[Linked Image]

That's a pretty common way to practice, though most 'field shooting practice' is fired at prairie dogs. We tend to shoot a lot off the SFT (tripod) too.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
The positional target I've been shooting the last couple years has the following sizes:

7 moa - offhand
5 moa - sitting
3 moa - sitting supported
2 moa - prone off pack

The way I've been shooting it has a timed and an untimed component. Untimed I rarely miss, timed sometimes it gets me. Doing position work, with both dry and live fire, has certainly improved my game. For the purposes of practice I should probably go to tighter targets and start missing more.

I don't have anything as light, or with as much recoil as your Montana. I'd be interested to see how much more difficult it would be equipped that way.

Thanks for the info Carl. Been meaning to see where you're at with the scope mount and zero retention tests, but that is a separate topic.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

What distances do you fellas feel comfortable shooting for the following?

Offhand shots out to____?

Kneeling/seated out to ___?

Prone shots off elbows ___?

Prone off pack or bipod ___?

Jason

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I'm comfortable with the following.....

Off-hand : 100yds..... tops
Sitting/Kneeling : 200-250yds unsupported, 400yds off the SFT
Prone Elbows : 300yds
Prone Ruck : 500yds.... W/bipod about 600yds

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.