Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
does a lease or hunt club exist where the members share info, share stands and are honest about what the see, shoot, do etc..

been on leases where three cameras overlook an area because no one shared info.

been on lease where a river cuts through the middle making the back end unaccesable-only to find out 8 weeks into the season a back gate exists, found by following a couple senior members who slipped out of camp early one sunday am.

been on leases where all stands/feeders are identified, only to find a "seceret honey hole" tripod 6 weeks into the season.

been on leases where certain animals were given a "pass" for the season-everyone agreed not to take them, only to have guys at the end of the season knock said animals down.

It is to the point where I simply look for small plots of land to hunt for my brother and I-no need to hide anything. No headaches or trust issues. But I sure would like to hunt larger areas.

So, are there groups where everyone is up front, honest and doesn't hide anything?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What you are looking for is called the holy grail
Many stories about such but no ones actually ever found it

I hunt smaller properties and hunt solo

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it exists and I am lucky enough to be part of it. Only 3 of us hunt most of the time and once a year, 10 guys come together for a special weekend. Absolutely lucked into it and continue to pinch myself every year, to remind myself just how lucky I am. Of course I put in a day or two most weeks working on the place, just to try and be worthy of what I do have. Wish everyone had the same.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my brother and i will be getting on one like that next season.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not to sound snobby, but I am grateful I live in the west and do not have to worry about where to hunt. I admire the fortitude that you guys put in to finding areas to hunt.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They exist but are very difficult to maintain. I manage one that is 4600 acres that we have had since 1999. We divide 100 percent of the expenses equally and share the permanent box blinds. Members that don't adhere to the rules are uninvited to come back the next year. We have only had to do this to one member. The hardest thing is finding a really good land owner to lease from who appreciates your group and is wanting to stick with you for the long term.

We do not allow guests, just immediate family. We are very particular on member selection. Like any lease or club about 10% of the members end up doing the majority of the hard work. Anyway they exist but are hard to find. We have a waiting list of potential new members at all times as our place is in such high demand. Don't give up hope. Keep looking they are out there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm just damn glad I live where there's lots of public land and also landowners who will still give permission free for the asking. The situations described here- Feeders, assigned stands/blinds camera's etc ain't hunting and I feel sorry for folks who think it is and/or is all they've ever known.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Umm...well, I've never been on a "lease" whatever that is. So I have no idea.

It sounds to me like you would have a more enjoyable experience on public ground even if the bucks aren't as big.

Or else, buy your own piece of land somehow.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yea, did the public hunting thing a few times...When you talk to some of them fools after the evening hunt and ask what they saw and their reply is "I didn't see anything but I did get 4 sound shots off!"

What is a "sound shot" I had to inquire-it is where this guy HEARD something in the bushes and shot at it.

yea, not for me.

would love to buy but at $1200/acre I am just not there yet.

Dave

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lubbockdave

What is a "sound shot" I had to inquire-it is where this guy HEARD something in the bushes and shot at it.

I've never heard anyone do such a thing. Where the hell is that? Does anyone do that?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

I've never heard anyone do such a thing. Where the hell is that? Does anyone do that?

back when I lived in East TX-lots of public hunting land out there for the low price of a $40 pass for the year.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Since 1972 my brother, myself, and now my son run our hunting camp. We own hunting rights on 100 acres of woods
- purchased by my father along with 1 acre to build the camp on in 1954 for a total of $40--- The 100 acres is bordered by 500+ acres of mostly woods that we have permission to hunt at no cost and the 500 acres connect to 3000+ acres of public hunting woods that is not heavily hunted. Over the years we have had a hand full of friends that came into camp that we have had to weed out. For over 30 years now we have basically our closest friends we grew up with. Honest and trustworthy. None zero nanna stories of seeing the big one but didn't get a shot. Info on any of the days hunt is always shared. About the only problem we have is that one of the members won't let me use his .308 that seems to shoot bigger bucks than my .308. At a bring your own Beer or Whisky hunting camp we ask for a donation of--- Get this $100 per week----- Priceless -- Web

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My mom married a gentleman who has 160 acres of mixed hardwoods and clearings that are planted every year, and since I am now family, I'm invited to hunt there. There are nine guys in the club, and everyone has their preferred stand for the opener, but all stands are available after the first couple days of the season when most stop hunting. We maintain radio contact throughout the day, and if one of the older guys gets a deer, the nearest guys help out. Each evening, we all tell what we saw, what shots we got, if any, and Amy pics we took ( like the ones of the fawn with spots I saw mid November) everyone chips in by cooking a meal, and there are work days where everyone shows to do routine maintenance, build new blinds, or whatever. Great club and I'm glad to be a member. Last year we took three big bucks and two doe off the property.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If
does a lease or hunt club exist where the members share info, share stands and are honest about what the see, shoot, do etc..

been on leases where three cameras overlook an area because no one shared info.

been on lease where a river cuts through the middle making the back end unaccesable-only to find out 8 weeks into the season a back gate exists, found by following a couple senior members who slipped out of camp early one sunday am.

been on leases where all stands/feeders are identified, only to find a "seceret honey hole" tripod 6 weeks into the season.

been on leases where certain animals were given a "pass" for the season-everyone agreed not to take them, only to have guys at the end of the season knock said animals down.

It is to the point where I simply look for small plots of land to hunt for my brother and I-no need to hide anything. No headaches or trust issues. But I sure would like to hunt larger areas.

So, are there groups where everyone is up front, honest and doesn't hide anything?

Our lease has 22 people.

And I believe everyone is pretty open, because only about 6 of us are deer hunters, the rest are waterfowlwrs/ pheasant and rabbit hunters. They couldn't care less about deer hunting, but are glad the 6 of us do, because we put in food plots that benefit the pheasants, and clear lanes making brush piles that benefit the rabbits.

The key to it for us was leasing the ground to goose hunt originally, then another tract came available that held both bottom land crops for geese and ducks, but also some hard wood ridge and crop land and side hill brush lots and overgrown pasture/fields.

We originally leased it specifically for waterfowl, and decided to start improving the habitat to benefit pheasant and rabbit. Which in turn brought in deer

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why would you expect anyone one sharing a lease to be obliged to share their personal knowledge with anyone else?
On the same token, why would you feel so inclined to share your personally acquired info with anyone else just because you share the lease with them?

A lease is much like a business. There are some inner circles that you inter act with differently than others for what ever reasons. You just have to learn which ones can be used to your advantage and which ones not to confide in.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
NO. Deer hunting will bring out the worst in people.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
NO. Deer hunting will bring out the worst in people.

This. And it's why I am so thankful that I was able to purchase my own place. Adjoining landowners and clubs aren't always great to deal with either but it's night and day compared to the leases I used to be on

I guess I am a control freak but I like knowing I am the only one with unfettered access to the land.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Wow. I've heard of leases before but didn't realize it was like this. Makes me really appreciate the area's we have to hunt here, even if I do wish there was more of it sometimes. Hope you find something decent, not having places to hunt really,really sucks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't get on a lease with people I didn't trust or want to be open with. No matter where I hunt, I am open about what I think and what I am planning. I figure my friends are honest too. Now I normally hunt private land but the opinions still apply.

“Lighten up Francis”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lubbockdave: Sounds like your Hunting experiences of late have left a bad taste in your mouth?
I feel bad for you.
I guess I have been blessed to have successfully Hunted mostly on public lands in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Montana, Utah, Wyoming and Alberta along with some superb Hunting on private lands in some of those same regions.
I have never Hunted Deer or Elk on a leased property so I am not sure if your experience is the norm but I hope you find a place that will make your Hunting experiences more enjoyable/rewarding.
Good luck in the future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.