Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents

What serial number range(s)are considered the most desirable for the New Haven "Classic" series of M70's?

I tried to search the topic in this forum, but was unsuccessful...

Shotgunjock

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I believe the ones with a G serial number either five or six digit. Example G23456

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shotgunjock
Gents

What serial number range(s)are considered the most desirable for the New Haven "Classic" series of M70's?

Shotgunjock

I would say those from early to mid 90s when stainless stocked in wood was available. Something in European caliber like "old soldier" 7x57 should top the want to own list.

T
toa Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Taken from another thread....

Originally Posted by toa
Originally Posted by winchester70
Best of the Post-64 M70's?

That would be the Classic's, with a serial number of G plus 4, 5 or 6 numbers. Made from 1991-2002. Sweet rifles!

2003-2006 = questionable at best. I have seen some real dogs from the last few years in New Haven.

Have and use some push feeds from the 80's, nothing wrong with them at all. I'd take one over any M700, or anything else made today for that matter.

Good luck.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pre-apology as I do not mean to hijack, but since you are talking collectible Model 70 Classics, what is the lowest G prefix Classic serial number you have seen or heard of?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Far from an expert, but myself, and a few others report having G prefix 5 digit serial numbered SuperGrades years before the Classics appeared in print and on shelves. Those guns had actions identical to the Classic action and if memory is correct, all came out of the custom shop. I traded that gun off so long ago that I can't remember how the barrel was marked. Mine was a 338.

ETA: Mine was a 338 Win Mag

Last edited by sbrmike; 01/23/16.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Far from an expert, but myself, and a few others report having G prefix 5 digit serial numbered SuperGrades years before the Classics appeared in print and on shelves. Those guns had actions identical to the Classic action and if memory is correct, all came out of the custom shop. I traded that gun off so long ago that I can't remember how the barrel was marked. Mine was a 338.

Yes, yes even late production CRF short actioned Featherweight Model 70 in .338 Federal would be nice to own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toa
Taken from another thread....

Originally Posted by toa
Best of the Post-64 M70's?

That would be the Classic's, with a serial number of G plus 4, 5 or 6 numbers. Made from 1991-2002. Sweet rifles!

2003-2006 = questionable at best. I have seen some real dogs from the last few years in New Haven.

Have and use some push feeds from the 80's, nothing wrong with them at all. I'd take one over any M700, or anything else made today for that matter.

Good luck.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Hey, I like the way you think!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The most desirable "Classic" M70's are...........

the left handed ones!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
tmitch, you do make a very valid point...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've got three G series 6 numbered M-70's here, two are shot out and rebarreled 7mm STW's, one is in 375 H&H in custom walnut, the other is a 300 RUM with it's stainless barrel in a digital camo painted syn stock, the only factory gun left is an old Classic Super Grade in 300 Win Mag.

Very nice action works on these old guns, I love em and can easily see why there's still vigorous interest in obtaining them.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a G16xxx and one G10xxx Classic. I have not seen any four digit Classics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I've had over 20 classic stainless M70's from the 90's and 2000's... my favorites are those from about 1996 - 2001.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Brad
Were any of them four digit Classics or low five digit?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
4 digit rifles would be custom shop guns IIRC.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

So standard production Classics started in the low five digits? Just curious.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just curious: why are the G prefix, five numbered rifles considered the most desirable and what, if any, premium comes with having one of those rifles from a dollar perspective?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lynntelk

They started in the low 5 digits, not 4.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I believe 15000 is the starting number for standard production.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I believe 15000 is the starting number for standard production.

The G10XXX Classic I have was a standard SM (synthetic matte) finish rifle. The G16XXX was a standard FW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't read this whole thread, but try to find a Classic in other than Winchester Calibers as not many were usually made.

For example, an early G model under 200,000 in .280 Rem. Caliber would be a good place to start. It took me a long long time to find one.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Brad

I do own a Custom Shop rifle with 4 digits. It's a 300 WSM Extreme Weather and was produced before the standard production Extreme Weather was released.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought G17xxx, a blued Super Grade in 7mm Remington Magnum with a manufacture date probably 1992-93, as a barreled action unfired since it left the factory. It came with a tag which does not mention the Custom Shop, and fittings for a wood stock. It has since been re-barreled (still 7RM) the action trued, and stocked. The gunsmith who did the work said the receiver as it came from the factory needed a lot of work to align and the factory roll marks I saw for myself were on the sloppy side. This isn't a complaint, but to the OP, I wouldn't nominate the Super Grades from that period as "most desirable".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shotgunjock
Gents

Shotgunjock

Everyone seems to get all bunched up over early Classics. The way it's been explained to me is that the bolts were more carefully made to spec and somewhat larger diameter,so a better fit in the receiver.Less slop.

I used to know the measurements but forgot them. Anyone else aware of any other significant differences?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
R
I have read through this whole thread and I can tell there is a lot of Winchester knowledge here. Can someone please tell me if I have anything more than just a nice hunting rifle. Back in the late 90s I bought a Win 70 featherweight chambered in 6.5x55. It is a New Haven gun with a G prefix serial number but is a seven digit number G255****. Collectible???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rustybroadhead
I have read through this whole thread and I can tell there is a lot of Winchester knowledge here. Can someone please tell me if I have anything more than just a nice hunting rifle. Back in the late 90s I bought a Win 70 featherweight chambered in 6.5x55. It is a New Haven gun with a G prefix serial number but is a seven digit number G255****. Collectible???

Yes, it is collectable. They didn't make a lot of the 6.5x55's... I don't think you'd have trouble selling it..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Dads old .338 WM Win 70 Classic, It has killed a dump truck full of elk, deer and pronghorns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

I occurred to me, of the couple dozen Classic's I've owned, all but one (a 416 Rem Mag) were Classic Stainless rifles, so my serial no. savvy is limited to those...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been looking for a nice M70 in 308. LGS has one with serial G2097524. That's 7 digits after the G. I is a very, very plain push feed gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Citori16
I have been looking for a nice M70 in 308. LGS has one with serial G2097524. That's 7 digits after the G. I is a very, very plain push feed gun.

When people talk 5 or 6 digit, they are more or less referring to the classics. Mainly the early classics. A 7 digit push feed on the other hand...??? Sounds like a model 70 Ranger to me...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Just curious: why are the G prefix, five numbered rifles considered the most desirable and what, if any, premium comes with having one of those rifles from a dollar perspective?

They were made on brand new tooling.. Is one reason giving.. By the time 7 digits hit the scene the employees at the new haven plant knew they were out of a job they stopped giving a [bleep] I guess...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

When people talk 5 or 6 digit, they are more or less referring to the classics. Mainly the early classics. A 7 digit push feed on the other hand...??? Sounds like a model 70 Ranger to me...

I have a push feed made when WRA was still making rifle bought it off my bud Lawrence and I will put that rifle up against anyone's rifle as far as accuracy and fit and finish. Those rifle made in 79-early 81 were some of the best made I think

Last edited by 79S; 01/31/16.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 7 digit push feed M70 would be about $600 OTD with Bushnell 3x9 mounted. Looks like new, but very plain. Would it have the old style 70 trigger or the newer MOA trigger?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$600 too much and I will say it again for guys any model 70 with G prefix WILL have the old trigger all model 70 starting with 35 followed by three letters will have the MOA trigger. That concludes today's lesson ..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
$600 too much and I will say it again for guys any model 70 with G prefix WILL have the old trigger all model 70 starting with 35 followed by three letters will have the MOA trigger. That concludes today's lesson ..

I will further back up what John says. Way too much. Here's one of the best push feeds made. I paid $600 for it and later sold it to 79s:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was a NIB condition rifle when I bought it. Its one of the good ones and made by WRA before they switched hands to USRAC in '81. A "plain" jane 308 push feed wouldn't trip my trigger for $600.00, unless it came with a nice Swarovski scope on it... wink

I actually sent Citori16 a link to a nice pre 64 model 70 fwt 308 for $829.00. I would have jumped on that deal way way before a plain looking pushfeed 308. Just sayin wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I have a push feed made when WRA was still making rifle bought it off my bud Lawrence and I will put that rifle up against anyone's rifle as far as accuracy and fit and finish. Those rifle made in 79-early 81 were some of the best made I think

Funny, I just posted a couple pictures of that rifle. Cool that your daughter shot her moose with it last year. Very cool my friend!!! One thing about that rifle is it shoots as good as it looks and functions perfectly. They really put that one together right. I think a lot of us have spent a loooooong time searching for the right rifle and that is one of them. I'm glad your daughter likes it..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA - you did send good advice on item I was considering & tip on another. I do appreciate it. So many interesting M70's out there, I am still trying to decide on the one for me. The gun pictured above is a beauty and much nicer than one at my LGS.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The one pictured above is an XTR FWT made when the fwt first came back on to the market in 1980. There was a span of 17 years where they (Winchester) made no fwt model 70's. Damn they sure were f'd up back then!!!! That's called having your head so far up your azz that you can't see straight. Luckily they came to their senses and brought them back to market in 1980.... My fwt rifles are among my favorites. They are easier to tote in the woods, shoot well enough (as 79s can attest to) and to me feel perfectly balanced in the hands. Really built the way a good rifle should be. I understand there are many choices out there, but you will be pretty hard pressed to find a better rifle than the pre 64 308 fwt I sent in the link. Those guys don't know what they have (typical Cabela's gun library manager) wink... They have it listed as a "post 64" model 70. Laffable right there... laugh.... Oops, I see they raised their price to $929.00.... Maybe they are catching on...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Funny, I just posted a couple pictures of that rifle. Cool that your daughter shot her moose with it last year. Very cool my friend!!! One thing about that rifle is it shoots as good as it looks and functions perfectly. They really put that one together right. I think a lot of us have spent a loooooong time searching for the right rifle and that is one of them. I'm glad your daughter likes it..

As Lawrence pointed out its my daughters gun and she knows it smile that thing loves 140gr hornady's.. I was going to use Lawrence load with the partition but wth why mess with something that works.. I only had one bad Winchester and it was one of the last ones out the plant in a 325 wsm.. I have good shooting 7 digits great shooting 6 digits but I have had couple 5 digits and they shoot very well. My wife's 5digit 280 shoots 160gr accubonds very well. I have a 5 digit 7 mag that's not even bedded that is phenominal shooter with 160gr accubonds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
another way to tell is to look for the small screw located on the piece that holds the safety. (forgot what that is called) If it has the little screw its a good one. Most will be under G200,000. BOSS actions are good!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.