-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I stopped at a little pawn shop on the way home today, and this little sweetheart caught my eye from inside a glass cabinet. Was marked 'Ithaca Rifle, .308, never fired'. Hmmmm, thought I.

I'm no expert on Tikka or Sako rifles but I knew what this really was. The rifle is in excellent condition, and other than some small flecks on the bolt handle, I can't find any blemishes or issues. Detachable box magazine, open sights, 22" barrel marked Bofors Barrel Steel), slick action and nice trigger.

Needless to say it came home with me. So, what exactly do I have? Any idea on current value? I'm guessing it was made in the 70's but is there a way to find out? Any other suggestions?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It was made in Finland by Tikkakoski, no relation to Sako. It is a great rifle and should be a good shooter. Don't lose that magazine, you will never find another one.

They are a meat and potatoes gun that has nothing fancy about them. I always thought they could have done more to the stock by shortening the forearm and cutting the checkering after they finished the stock. It has a good trigger and should really be a top notch shooter.

I would guess it's value somewhere around $450.00-$550.00, a little more in the deluxe configuration...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shrap pretty much nailed it. Of the three models that they shipped here for Ithaca (Standard, Deluxe and heavy barrel)the standard was the only model with iron sights.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, gents, I appreciate the info. Iron sights were a plus in my book, as I already have .308s with scopes. I'm looking forward to shooting it when time allows.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My little brother bought an LSA 55 c. '79 and killed a literal truckload of deer w it until selling it to a cousin in Chattanooga who's killed several dozen WTs w it in the last 3 decades. He will not sell it to me.

On an epic morn in '83, my brother slew three running bucks in about 15 seconds flat in a cove bear Eagleville, TN w 165 Sierra handloads. The Command Post scope is still a 100 percent death ray in Southern TN & North AL!

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 01/22/16.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice snag. Looks to be in excellent condition. Way nicer and more interesting than most of the crap being produced today.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They were a nice rifle, made from about 1967 through to the eighties, prior to Tikkakoski being absorbed by Sako. Forged steel receiver, lapped and free-floated barrel and an adjustable trigger were features, and they did have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

FWIW Australian and British SAS used the heavy-barrel Sporter, in .22/250, as an urban/counter terrorism sniper rifle in about the late 70s- 80s.

R
R
only thing I see wrong it's that its a .308

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice snag. Looks to be in excellent condition. Way nicer and more interesting than most of the crap being produced today.

Agreed, Pappy. Especially when you consider I paid $400 for it. I realize that's not an 'everyday' deal but you don't find them if you don't look. I nearly didn't stop at that little shop and actually turned around after passing by and changing my mind.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Agreed, Pappy. Especially when you consider I paid $400 for it. I realize that's not an 'everyday' deal but you don't find them if you don't look. I nearly didn't stop at that little shop and actually turned around after passing by and changing my mind.

I don't even care for a 308, but I would have bought that gun for $400.00 in a heartbeat. You won't find the quality you got there for that kind of money in anything made toady...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dan_oz
They were a nice rifle, made from about 1967 through to the eighties, prior to Tikkakoski being absorbed by Sako. Forged steel receiver, lapped and free-floated barrel and an adjustable trigger were features, and they did have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

FWIW Australian and British SAS used the heavy-barrel Sporter, in .22/250, as an urban/counter terrorism sniper rifle in about the late 70s- 80s.

Bet those made for spectacular meat pops and visuals on bad guys! sick grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.