Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pard says "Don't shoot one you can't ride up to!"
wink

grin

Sometimes it's easier to build a cabin, and just eat it there where it falls!

Hunted moose this fall with your old co-worker Juan... had a great time and butchered 4 moose. But we drove the gin pole right to them. I will never do another laying down...

Damn, it's a small world. He said it was a good season. Sure miss him on the crew. One of the toughest, hardest working men I've ever met.

Jeff

To back your experience... Juan and I, along with another that is the major ringleader of the group went in early to set up camp. While two of us hauled rounds back to camp in a Polaris 6x Juan split it faster than we could get it back. Then he split kindling by the bushel... then he dug a new latrine hole that was perfectly round and deeper than the shovel handle and my arm! I accused him of climbing down in the ~16" D hole and chucking the dirt out!

We averaged 63 years old and had camp set and three bulls hanging before the "kids" showed up.

Yep, the guy is a friggin' dynamo. And has skills in about every trade, in addition to ironworker. You name it, he can do it, or get the hang of it, pronto! Sounds like you guys had a good camp/crew. What did you think of the Polaris 6x? I just bought one off a buddy late last year. Won't get to spend any time in it, until summer. It's '07 with a 700 engine.

Suppose we better get better get back to our regularly scheduled program......sorry for the highjack guys! smile

Jeff

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Who are the top three air carriers in Alaska for a fly-in, drop-off moose hunt?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know its re-stating the obvious, but it's a big state and you need to narrow down where you want to hunt before narrowing down carriers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff
One look at his knuckles is all someone needs to see to realize the guy has been through some stuff...

I have been looking at Polaris 6xs since I got back and figure I might need one by next hunting season... I drove a bunch of miles and only got stuck a handful of times under really tough circumstances and did not break anything!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Was on AK Outdoors, Canoe section and found this neat Pic of
Ted (Yukoner) in the Yukon several years ago.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, many would have trouble realizing what he is up against there, and he is still around. Not a place for the clueless...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recognize [bleep] Creek every time. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I recognize [bleep] Creek every time. laugh

But do you know what a paddle feels like?
wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darned site censors think "!" is the same as "i".......what's up with that? crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But do you know what a paddle feels like?
wink

I certainly know what they look like and they look kinda scarce in that photo eek

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you only knew Ted... impressive fellow in so many ways...

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE moose alone. I"ve done two without help. One I was not sure I could get the polaris to, but was only .6 mile from a trail.

They are not bad, but I"m only 51, but plan plenty of time once they roll over.

Last one was shot around 645pm, got back to it with the polaris from camp, around 8pm. Got it loaded I don't know when, and 12 mile ride back to the house on trails, I was back by 4am. I slept a bit later that morning. LOL.

I actually don't mind doing em by myself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Gregori,

It's not so much which three air carriers are the best for moose but which ones have an opening for new customers.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think a fly-in trip with 40-mile would be a blast. They are good people, and I think you'll have a better than average chance doing it that way.

All warnings above apply.

I've cut one moose up by myself. That part is certainly doable. I have packed a couple off of the hill and one out of the swamp. It isn't too bad if you have a crew, doable with two. I think I'd kick my own ass if I tried to do it solo.

Don't know anyone stupid enough to shoot one in the water... again. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=cwh2)

Don't know anyone stupid enough to shoot one in the water... again. smile [/quote]

Guilty as charged, though the last one was simply a case of letting someone else shoot it there...

I cannot imagine anyone dumb enough to volunteer to help get one out of a lake... wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Do they fly in the 6x Polaris too?

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did a swamp buggy/6x6 hunt this past fall. We went 4 for 5 bulls and 3 for 4 on caribou. I did all the cutting on the moose and a caribou... first time I got to cut them up hanging. I have zero desire to cut another on the ground.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Was on AK Outdoors, Canoe section and found this neat Pic of
Ted (Yukoner) in the Yukon several years ago.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, many would have trouble realizing what he is up against there, and he is still around. Not a place for the clueless...

I have no trouble. This guy is in a place he does not want to be ...
Glad he got out.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jeff
One look at his knuckles is all someone needs to see to realize the guy has been through some stuff...

I have been looking at Polaris 6xs since I got back and figure I might need one by next hunting season... I drove a bunch of miles and only got stuck a handful of times under really tough circumstances and did not break anything!
art

2 guys i know sold the 6xs for Argos. They are moose killin machines.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We see Argos, but they do no compete where we go...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (160user, 338reddog, 12344mag, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.