Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What's a Montana SA stock weigh?

They vary, 24 - 25.5 oz's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone seen any pics of the bottom "metal" and/or DBM?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Montana in 6.5 CR is much more interesting, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
RIP in Tikka.....

It'll be really interesting to see how the new Tikka compares. But funny that a plastic stock and mag is now OK on a Kimber.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Man if the expensive Montana needs all those surgeries to "Get Well" imagine what the cheap one will need! Total and complete reconstructive surgery.

LOL

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
Man if the expensive Montana needs all those surgeries to "Get Well" imagine what the cheap one will need! Total and complete reconstructive surgery.

LOL

You were just never good with shooting a lightweight rifle, that is all. Didn't it take you like 3-4 Kimber Montana's to prove that?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bearstalker

LOL

You were just never good with shooting a lightweight rifle, that is all. Didn't it take you like 3-4 Kimber Montana's to prove that?

And this is why most complain about their accuracy with kimbers. Co workers had major butt-hurt, buyers remorse until they started holding on. Now you couldn't buy them for double their price after they figured it out.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

LOL

Have we ever shot together or seen me shoot and you inferred this from experience?

I have shot many many lightweight custom rifles very well to know that the Montanas I had sucked

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL

Have we ever shot together or seen me shoot and you inferred this from experience?

I have shot many many lightweight custom rifles very well to know that the Montanas I had sucked

Lotsa others don't have any problems with them. Must be you then?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And lots of others do! Hence the checklist "post" on how to fix a Montana. Ever see another checklist to fix other rifle makes in particular?

I had 2 and 2 of my other friends had one each. 3 270 WSm's and 1 325 WSM.

If it is me then why do I not have a problem with the RAR Rifles inc Nula Tikka t3 ultralight etc.

All I know the 2 I had (both 270 WSM's) sucked big time.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 22-250 with a 8" twist horns me up to say the least.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My list for my 270 WSM was mount a scope, torque the bolts, and kiss a SMK. Shot fine.

But I still didnt like it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ours shoot well too. We shoot the little ones though. I had a 270wsm it shot fine and I didn't like it either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those guns are going to beat the hell out of the market. I'm stoked!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would have paid a couple hundred more than the Montana asking price for a composite stocked version with a DBM or floor plate. Just never been a fan of blind mags, even if other configurations were a little heavier, it would still be a light rifle. If the normal Montana stock weighs 24oz, I'm trying to figure out how just switching the stock could make the hunter could weigh 22oz more (6.5 CM published weights for both). Maybe the action is not as trim on the hunter?

Last edited by Gtscotty; 01/23/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I would have paid a couple hundred more than the Montana asking price for a composite stocked version with a DBM or floor plate. Just never been a fan of blind mags, even if other configurations were a little heavier, it would still be a light rifle. If the normal Montana stock weighs 24oz, I'm trying to figure out how just switching the stock could make the hunter could weigh 22oz more (6.5 CM published weights for both). Maybe the action is not as trim on the hunter?

I asked Kimber about the blind magazine years ago. It was a necessity to maximize the strength of the kevlar stock and therefore any style of magazine would have weakened the stock.

As far as the extra weight, some 22 oz. that could be attributed to: 1. the synthetic stock just weighing more, 2. some metal support imbedded in the stock and 3. the DM assembly overall weight.
Some additional reports I'm sure will be forthcoming in the near future.
Now with the Hunter, buyers have options.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/23/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gasman
A Montana with a plastic stock would make for a nice donor barreled action if McMillan would make a hunting stock for the Montana. I don't know why they don't, as they already have the inlet program for the Kimber tactical rifle.

Seems a donor Montana is the answer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
They shouldn't have left out the 223

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I guess I'm a little surprised they can sell these cheaper than the Classic. Walnut must cost them more than I thought.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 70 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.