So today my son (15) and I went to Best of the West Range. The objective was to zero in 2 new rifles for a up coming hog hunt and just to have fun.

The first rifle was the new Remington LLR. Started at 50 yards. Then I shot the GSR with a 2 power pistol scope mounted forward. The kid was spotting for me. While I was shooting the first couple of shots a friend showed up and sat at the next bench. He was shooting an open sighted AR, Patrolman.

I had a heck of a time getting it zeroed, the kid would say "now you hit here or there...." My friend left and I finally got it on in the bull. When a cease fire was called we walked down to look at the the target. I laughed. I said some of the holes were 223s. So my kid was seeing those bullet holes, and thinking it was from my 308. I had kidded my friend earlier if wanted my glasses ( he should have used them LOL).

We then moved to the 100 yard range and got them zeroed. A few minor adjustments and I was good. The kid, not so much. He shoots left handed and has trigger controll issues. He shoots pistols really well, but rifles he needs a lot more practice.

Then we moved to the 250 yard range to shoot steel. What a hoot.

I had the 30-06 zeroed for a hand load that used 165 Hornandy BTSPs. But I wanted to shoot up some loads that had 180 Hornandy SPs. One used Hunter powder the other had 4350.

After I shot and hit the steel with the 165 grain load, I switched to the 180s. The 180s required a higher hold but they hit a lot harder.

Then I let the boy shoot a few, he didn't hit it. I took the rifle back and made it ring. The last shot I settled the cross hair on it, told him to look at the target, then look at me. As we where face to face I squeezed the trigger. DING. He said you suck.

I then got the little GSR out and set up. That little bitch can shoot. I hit it 7 out of 7 times at 250 yards. I didn't use my Harris bi-pod on it, just there cheesy rest. That little 2x scoped was enough though. I was using a load of RL 15 and 150 B/Tips.

2 things I noticed today were, that the Remington trigger sucks. To me the Ruger trigger was a lot more user friendly and really helped me to make those hits.
The second thing is that muzzle break on the Ruger is hated by guys next to you. Paybacks. This kid next to me was shooting a 7 mag with a clamp on break. That sucked for us. But that 308 must be terrible to be next to, for the way they jumped.

Anyway we had a great time, and I can't wait to get that 30-06 mated with a Swfa 10x and a good load for 500 yard plus steel. Oh and get that horrible trigger tweaked or replaced.