OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10 shot 1/2" @ 50, did I say that?

Dave

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sell it and call it a day,your 175 will turn into a money pit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDW
10 shot 1/2" @ 50, did I say that?

If yours is shooting that good, it's not a POS... I was lucky to get mine to shoot .850" pretty consistently at 50 yards. It was a POS as well:

[Linked Image]

It shot like this with federal bulk ammo and aftermarket hi-viz sights:

[Linked Image]

I later foolishly sold it to a buddy and he's shot some 3/8 inch (10 shot) groups with eley tenex ammo... He's added some kidd parts and the bolt buffer makes a big difference in how the rifle shoots and feels during recoil.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will be fine with 1" at 50 with this rifle, five shots with mid-range ammo like I am using now, Eley Club, SK Standard+, CCI mini-mags.

Worked the trigger last night, it's much better with almost no creep but heavier than I prefer. I will shoot tomorrow and report back.

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I bought this 1986 10/22 for $175 ask $160 paid in 2007.
Then I bought a Shilen select match 10/22 barrel used off ebay for $200. It had a Bentz chamber I opened up slightly with a SAAMI reamer so it will not jam with hunting ammo.
I got and STS trigger off Ebay for $140.
I milled out the barrel channel in the stock for the fat heavy barrel.

I took it to the range Sept 1, 2007 with the original trigger and shot it with 3 cent Federal Champion ammo:
1.1" 10 shot group 50y
0.61" 5 shot group 50y
0.77" 8 shot group 50y

I can't say it shoots better than me. I think we share the errors. Have not shot it since.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I took the clunker to the range Sunday, the trigger is much better, five shot groups at 50 with a mild tailwind seemed to average about 1.25", with Eley Club maybe a tad less.

Heck, I fired an eight shot group with my 39M that was no more than 2" with open sights.

Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I found accuracy in 10/22 and 77/22 rifles by epoxy fitting the barrel. For a release agent I use heat softened paraffin wax on a towel to apply to the inside of the action and the outside of the barrel. Once cooled I polish it back off. With the action mounted vertically in a vise butter up the barrel tennon and inside of the action with MarineTex. Then install so that it sits square on the shoulder of the barrel and let it cure overnight. Clean up the outside while it is still soft with Q-Tips. The inside will chip out cleanly once cured so leave it thick in there. Once cured and cleaned up nice install the V block lightly torqued to 20 inch pounds or so. Now the barrel and action will perform just as if it was threaded together as one. If you ever want to remove the barrel a little heat from a heat gun or propane torch with let it come right apart. At 300 degrees in my Cerakote oven it will come right apart.

This also cures the natural barrel droop the rifles experience when the barrel and action have a loose fit.

Another nice mod is to drill the rear of the action for a cleaning rod so it can be cleaned from the breech.

Sitting in a Hogue rubber stock my Green Mountain .920" barrel shoots 1.5" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with Stingers. Plenty good for ground squirrels. I switch to 17HMR after that.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a mid 1980s beat up 10/22 with stripped out scope base screw holes from a pawn shop in 1995 for $35.
I put a Simmons $37 22 mag 4x scope on it.
I put a $125 stainless fluted Green Mountain barrel on it.

It kill a thousand rodents, but I lost it in 2007.

I replaced it with the 10/22 two posts up ^^^^

Both barrels came Bentz chambered. I did not ream all the way out to 22LR SAAMI, but just enough to feed hunting ammo.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HiredGun
I found accuracy in 10/22 and 77/22 rifles by epoxy fitting the barrel. For a release agent I use heat softened paraffin wax on a towel to apply to the inside of the action and the outside of the barrel. Once cooled I polish it back off. With the action mounted vertically in a vise butter up the barrel tennon and inside of the action with MarineTex. Then install so that it sits square on the shoulder of the barrel and let it cure overnight. Clean up the outside while it is still soft with Q-Tips. The inside will chip out cleanly once cured so leave it thick in there. Once cured and cleaned up nice install the V block lightly torqued to 20 inch pounds or so. Now the barrel and action will perform just as if it was threaded together as one. If you ever want to remove the barrel a little heat from a heat gun or propane torch with let it come right apart. At 300 degrees in my Cerakote oven it will come right apart.

This also cures the natural barrel droop the rifles experience when the barrel and action have a loose fit.

Another nice mod is to drill the rear of the action for a cleaning rod so it can be cleaned from the breech.

Sitting in a Hogue rubber stock my Green Mountain .920" barrel shoots 1.5" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with Stingers. Plenty good for ground squirrels. I switch to 17HMR after that.

I had a discussion on this very process and though a while back on rimfire central and I can't tell you how many folks thought I was an idiot for even thinking about trying it. Basically you've just made the barrel to the receiver fit an exact match. I couldn't get some folks to understand that concept. Glad to see I'm not alone in my thoughts.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by HiredGun

I had a discussion on this very process and though a while back on rimfire central and I can't tell you how many folks thought I was an idiot for even thinking about trying it. Basically you've just made the barrel to the receiver fit an exact match. I couldn't get some folks to understand that concept. Glad to see I'm not alone in my thoughts.

I've heard some of those guys like to bed the barrel and float the receiver. What is your take on this??? I'm going to be doing something with mine, as soon as I figure out what mechanical aspect is going to work the best.... Right now, I'm leaning toward pillar bedding at the take down screw, and bed the barrel to the "balance point". Anyone bed the rear of the receiver? I know there has to be some tricks to properly bedding a 10-22. Those rimfire central guys sometimes can't agree which is the "best" way either...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Two fingergrooves (60's) and a reg sporter from mid 70's...........did plenty good enough to smoke squirrels at 50 with boring regularity.

Newest 1022 I ever had was maybe made in early 90's.

Worst one was a Deluxe Sporter. It shot OK, but groups would shift. Proly needed action bedded. I missed a whopper chuck and was so PO'd I traded it off (even or made a little in the swap).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Current 10/22 is a fingergroove.
I did the Kidd buffer to make it more pleasant and added a Volq hammer.
I'm sure things could be improved but it was OK in stock form. Just making it "good enough".

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love the idea of a barrel block mounted barrel and floating the receiver. Depending on how it shoots, one concern is something might need to be done to keep the receiver mounted scope pointing the same direction as the barrel consistently. A good solution for that is the cantilever barrel mounted scope mount. Then the action contributes about nothing important to the accuracy. Either threading or gluing the barrel into the receiver looks a lot nicer. Another cool way to solve this issue is to buy a barrel blank and fit it myself. Then I can cut the tennon for a heat shrink fit.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good stuff guys. I've decided to glass bed the rear of the receiver because after looking at it, it has a lot of play in the stock (about 1/16"+). I'll also glass the pillar and action screw area. Leave the barrel mount area alone and then glass the first 5 inches (due to balance point) or so of the barrel channel. I'll then free float the rest of the barrel after the bedding cures. Right now it has a speed bump at the tip of the fore end. I'll leave that in for the bedding process and remove afterwards when I freefloat the rest of the barrel that is not going to be glassed. The way I see it, that is the best way to bed this thing (mechanically speaking). I also like the idea of bedding it in the vertical position so the receiver drops back against the stock before the action screw is tightened: Kind of bass ackwards from how hiredgun does his. The Volquartsen hammer was fine tuned (shimmed properly) and pull wt. is down to a damn consistent 2 pounds. This POS should be shooting pretty good after this work is done to it......

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm well versed on the M77/22's but somewhat new to the 10/22's. That being said I know several people who are very versed in them that have had good luck bedding them both ways. As long as it is done right is what is important. Now if I was going to build one (10/22) as a dedicated target rifle for competition I think I would look hard at bedding the barrel and floating the action, especially if a heavy target barrel was to be used.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I threw a Clark Sporter barrel on mine and it shoots most everything very well and Aguila Pistol Match exceedingly so. Used it to win the rimfire shoot at the Arizona ronde. Nothing bedded, barrel floated. I still need to tweak the trigger.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I threw a Clark Sporter barrel on mine and it shoots most everything very well and Aguila Pistol Match exceedingly so. Used it to win the rimfire shoot at the Arizona ronde. Nothing bedded, barrel floated. I still need to tweak the trigger.

[Linked Image]

That sure is a sweet rifle.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks. Too bad Fajen is not in business.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

313 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 46 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.