Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am curious if anyone here is familiar with Penobscot style Bows? I am considering a project with my two older Grandkids to build a more Primitive version of these Bows but was hoping someone here has had the chance to play with one and maybe share what they thought of it? Was it sweet to shoot or would I be wasting a lot of time?

They sure look like they would be pretty smooth and efficient...

[Linked Image]

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hank parker son uses one on tv

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by domit
hank parker son uses one on tv

Thank you for the reply! I was hoping to get some personal experiences from the Archers here at the Fire. They are pretty unusual and uncommon Rigs. smile

Folks here tend to be honest and upfront about their opinions of such things. lol

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do you have a lot of experience building self bows?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Do you have a lot of experience building self bows?

Sorry for the delay in reply...

I am a very good Wood worker and have been studying the principles of how to properly shape wood bows and thought it would make a good project to teach some wood working skills to the Grandkids. The principles are similar to a lot of what I have already experienced in my wood working. As an Archer I do understand what makes a good Bow and wanted to share this experience with my Grandkids and start with a junior size in this design because it is so unique.

But being unique doesn't mean it will shoot well. From what I read they say it is quite smooth but was hoping to hear from someone who has personal experience with one of these. I like that the draw weight of this design is "adjustable", this is unique for a Wood Bow and will help greatly in teaching the kids how to become Archers with a Bow they can say they built themselves. smile

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I never have made a Penobscot my friend. I've made a bunch of self bows. I haven't studied the Penobscot so can't say anything either way about it. It looks however to be a tillering nightmare.

You might have some luck at www.primitivearcher.com Go to the message boards in the community section. There's buildalongs and I bet some guys there have built Penobscot bows before.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/04/16.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lol...I can see how when looking at the example I posted it could be seen as a tillering nightmare. That example is very extreme in experimental concept. This guy made this concept Bow as a Double recurve design using PVC pipe.

A primitive design using Wood of course would not be quite as drastic in design. The true aboriginal design was basically a simple Flat Bow with a shorter second Flat Bow in the front. And I'm pretty sure I would never use PVC Pipe as a Bow making material.

Although it looks neat...this guy keeps complaining that it breaks all the time. I probably should have used a different image in my post...Sorry about that My bad. smile

I appreciate the link and reply, I will go check it out my friend. Thank You!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,524
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.