Print Thread
Hop To
#10892810 01/23/16
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Can you mix P radials with non P radials?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, as long as you match the tire diameters on the drive axle...or on all 4 if it's a 4x4.
The P just says it's a passenger car tire. It's one of 2 systems of designating tires: metric or P-metric. Here's some info on how it works: P TIRES

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Ok, thanks. RC.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interestingly, the article you linked says to not mix them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A quote from the article

Finally, don’t mix P-metric and Metric tires on a car as it could compromise handling, braking, and cornering performance.

I think the OP was probably referring to P series tires and LT's. In my opinion it is best to have all 4 tires exactly the same and to not even mix new and well worn tires. Especially on 4X4's. A tire with 40,000+ miles on it will essentially be one size smaller in diameter than an identical new tire.

I've read in the past that mixing tires can be OK as long as the tires on each axle are the same. But I'd prefer not to do that except on a temporary basis.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I see a lot of guys that buy tires 2 at a time on a 4x4. Mostly of differing manufacture. I prefer not to. Kind of like buying one shoe. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You certainly don't want 2 differently sized tires on the drive axle as it stresses the differential. It'll keep the spider gears turning all the time adding a lot of wear.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Heck, when I buy tires, I buy five at a time. I make sure I have them rotated regularly as well, including the spare.
This is for a 3/4 ton Ram pickup that carries a heavy camper on long trips, sometimes in very bad weather, and for a Jeep Wrangler which often sees off road situations that have lots of rocks and other things that are tough on tires. E

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is what I do for a living and there are some interesting points about some of the great advice not to mix them from others who already posted here. smile

Originally Posted by JMR40
I think the OP was probably referring to P series tires and LT's. In my opinion it is best to have all 4 tires exactly the same and to not even mix new and well worn tires. Especially on 4X4's. A tire with 40,000+ miles on it will essentially be one size smaller in diameter than an identical new tire.

"I think the OP was probably referring to P series tires and LT's."

I think you are right because the "Aspect Ratio" of all tires except a few All Terrain size designations such as 31x10.50 or 33x12.50 are now measured in Metric. So "P Radials and Non-P Radials" would lead me to think this is what the OP meant and it is a difference between Passenger rating and Light Truck rating. And a LT is always shorter than the same designated size in a Passenger rated Tire.

Here's something interesting about this statement I would like to share.

"A tire with 40,000+ miles on it will essentially be one size smaller in diameter than an identical new tire."

Actually believe it or not, a Tire tends to stretch and swell a bit during it's lifetime. So it is not uncommon to stand a bald tire next to a Brand New one of the same brand and model and have the Bald one be as tall or even sometimes a little taller than the new one! Sounds crazy but it's true. smile

But what you say is important about not mixing worn with new because they do indeed handle road conditions a world apart. Ever notice how a new set feels just a little "squirrelly" compared to the old ones for a few days until you get used to how they feel? This is because you just added almost an inch of "Flexible" Tread Rubber that your old "tight" Racing Slicks did not have.

Originally Posted by mtmuley
I see a lot of guys that buy tires 2 at a time on a 4x4. Mostly of differing manufacture. I prefer not to. Kind of like buying one shoe. mtmuley

Absolutely...and here is something we should all know and raise hell about. Unfortunately there is no Industry Standard for maintaining the "actual Size". They use what is called "Designated size" as a loophole in the actual size of the tire produced even though they are "Designated" as the size advertised and marked on the Tire.

This means that even though two different Brand Tires are designated as let's say 235-75-R-15 it doesn't mean they are truly those exact measurements like we are led to believe or think they are. There can be a huge difference in the actual size of one Manufacturer from another. I have measured sometimes up to an inch difference of the so called "same" Tire size between one maker from another.

This is why what you say about mixing Brands on a 4X4 is so important, especially on newer model 4X4 and All Wheel Drives that have front hubs that cannot be "unlocked". It will eat more expensive stuff up. smile

Thank you for letting me share these important points!

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 01/24/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.