Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I picked up a Ted Williams model 53 (model 70 winchester)pretty cheap. Already have a 270 an 30-06. I want a 338 magnum.I know the bolt face will need opened up. Will the mag box need tweaked? Also can the barrel be rebored/rechambered or will it need rebarrelled?
I know getting i rebored into a 35 whelen or 338-06 would be easier but I want a 338 and I like this rifle.

Thanks, Don

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
hmmmm... nobody ever do this?

Kid Rock
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Keep it and buy a used .338... I would love to locate one of those.. Good F.N. action.. Enjoy..

I am sure it could be done.. It was common years ago to alter Springfields to shoot the .308 Norma, or .300 Win. But there was no problem with bore size..

I still think keep it and pickup a used .338..

Molon Labe
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Is this a PF or pre-64 CRF? If PF Might be easier to get a new bolt & mag box. Def makes sense to do a new barrel.

As was said it was not uncommon on Mausers & Springfields but I assume it isn't as common on factory rifles due to more easily acquired parts.

I'd definitely lean toward selling it & getting a mag. Far simpler.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rebore to 338/06 or buy a 338 mag.

Sean
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the work to machine the bolt face and possibly expand the raceway and the cost will likely not be worth it.

If you don't want to sell then consider rebarreling, 338/06 is common now and you can easily find all the components you need to load it. Or even 338/06 AI for extra velocity. I think the .338 federal shares the same bolt face (it is normally a s/a cartridge) but lots of factory ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BearschlayerX2,

My .338 Winchester Magnum was put together many years ago on a .30-06 sized FN Mauser action. I had a local gunsmith open up the bolt-face and fit a slightly used Sako barrel picked up for $30 at a gun show, but I did the work on the feed rails myself, which really isn't too much of a mystery if you do a little reading on the process beforehand, and go slowly. As it turned out I didn't have to change the magazine box. The rifle shoots great and feeds very slickly.

You'd have to ask a reborer about the possibility of your particular barrel being rebored and rechambered. I've had very good luck with both Classic Barrels & Gunworks (www.cutrifles.com), and also JES (www.35caliber.com) which despite their name also does .338's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok so here's where I'm at with this project. I picked up a used 338 supergrade takeoff barrel on ebay $93 plus $15 shipping. Alocal well known and highly recommended gunsmith is going to install the barrel, headspace it, open up the bolt face and make sure it feeds like a hot knife thru butter(his words) for $150. My birthday is at the end of this month so my daughters said they will take care of the gunsmithing bill as my gift. Only other thing I want to do very soon is get a recoil pad put on it as it has a steel buttplate now. I can imagine what the recoil will feel like with that. Goona upgrade the scope as soon as possible also. I would like to eventually get a nicer walnut monte carlo stock for it. Would like to find a nice takeoff stock but may settle for a Boyds or something like that.

Kid Rock
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's my kind of custom! Not a lot invested and all the more enjoyable because of it. It will probably shoot great. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nobody has mentioned the extractor mod; that is a big thing.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by greydog
That's my kind of custom! Not a lot invested and all the more enjoyable because of it. It will probably shoot great. GD

Trying to not get a whole lot into it. I'm only into the rifle for $200. It came with a NRA Sports Optics (made by Brunton from what I could find on Google) 3.5-10x50 scope already mounted and a leather padded sling on it. At some point I do want to upgrade the scope to probably a Redfield Revolution. And as said above I would like to find a model 70 take off monte carlo stock.
Don't know if I would call it a custom, maybe more a cobbled together bunch of parts to make something nice as cheap as possible...LOL
McCauslin's Rifles in Carlisle Pa. is who is doing the work. He has been pretty highly recommended by several people. He said it will be a 3-4 week turnaround once I drop it off to him. Be a few weeks till I drop it off. Can't wiat to shoot it!

Kid Rock
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
And oh yeah I definitely want to get a recoil pad on it. I would imagine it would be pretty "lively" with that steel buttplate

Kid Rock
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
woohoo barrel arrived today! looks pretty good too.

Kid Rock
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image][Linked Image]URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/pappyto2/media/IMG_08371_zpslyemyha0.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]

Kid Rock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have converted 8x57 1908 Braz and 7x57 VZ24s to 7mmRM and 300WinMag.

The bolt face and extractor mods are obvious on inspection.

The feed lips mod I got from a drawing in Walsh's book on Mausers.

[Linked Image]
I was always suspicious he got that information from looking at Win 70s, although the only pre 64 M70s I have here were 30-06 and 308 from the factory.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Finally got the rifle picked up out of layaway today. Going todrop it off at the gunsmith next week sometime. Quick question... it has the 2 piece weaver scope bases. Will these hold up to the recoil of a 338 or should I start looking at other options? What would be the best recommended scope base and ring system if not what I already have? Thanks, Don

Kid Rock
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Also the extractor work is included in the price he quoted me

Kid Rock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the Weaver bases will hold up to a .338's recoil. I've used them on rifles up to a .416 Remington Magnum that weighed around 8-1/2 pounds with scope, and never had any problems. My own .338 has Weaver mounts, and weigh 7 pounds 9 ounces with scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I run a lot of Weaver Bases with Warne or Leupold PRWs. It's a very solid mounting combo in my book.

Cool old rifle. Can't wait to see how it works for you.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Another woohoo....I dropped it off at the gunsmith today. He said it will be done in 3-4 weeks. Also stopped at the gunshop today where I bought the rifle. Wasn't going to but my daughter wanted to put some money on her layaway for the Taurus Curve she is buying. He had a Leupold vari x11 hanging on the wall he just got on Saturday. So I put that on layaway to go on the 338.Got the scope for a pretty good price. So in the near future there will be a 270 barrel and a scope for sale in the classifieds.

What rings do you fellas recommend? The scope is a 3-9x40 and there is no rear site to worry about. Going to stick with the 2 piece weaver bases. Thank you everyone for the input so far.
Don

Kid Rock
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 70 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.