Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I chose to skip the processor and give it a go myself this time. I kept it pretty basic, just cutting out the back straps and tenderloins for steaks and then everything else I used for hamburger meat.

I'll admit to doing a rushed/poor job getting the meat off the deer. It was about 35 degrees outside so I cut the shoulders and hindquarters off, trimmed some off the neck and called it good. I knew I was leaving meat on the ribs and whatnot but wasn't sweating it.

The wife doesn't really like deer meat, so I had a wild idea of mixing in some beef brisket at about a 60/40 ratio... Who knows it may be terrible but it could be the best thing ever!

Let the deer sit on ice changing out the water for three days:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My setup in the carport

[Linked Image]

Got the brisket sliced up, then cubed it keeping some of the fat but trimming off the really hard stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cubed up the deer
[Linked Image]

Got tired and put the meat up in the fridge to sit over night and tackled the grinding today.

GB1

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Did the grinding this afternoon, it went pretty good was impressed with the new grinder.

[Linked Image]

Vac sealed the hambuger mix up in 2lb and 4lb bags
[Linked Image]

All in all ended up with 33lbs of meat

[Linked Image]

great way to spend a few hours.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Satisfying isn't it? Mix any beef fat?

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just the fat that was in the beef brisket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always done my own (with one exception where a friend did it for me) since I was a kid. figured out pretty quickly that I can buy a grinder and a smoker for what it would cost me a year having a butcher do it. plus I know I'm getting my own stuff back. it's satisfying to do it yourself, and you learn very quickly the little things that make it easier, more flavorful etc.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also, one thing I never do is add beef or pork fat while I grind. might as well put a timer on it when you do. I straight grind it and add a little breakfast sausage when I cook it if desired (burgers on the grill). I've noticed the meat doesn't last as long in the freezer with fat added right off the bat. YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
adding beef fat does not effect how long you freeze deer.i always add it to my burger.processing my own meat is just part of hunting season and a part i really enjoy doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree, you can freeze it however long you want, but it won't be near as good.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For me the processing at the end of a successful deer hunt is a continuation of the fun. Hoping to tackle a Moose this fall (might change my idea of fun)!

BTW, no beef in ground venison for me. Only fatback in the breakfast sausage for the sizzle! Highly recommend "Slice of the Wild" for recipes that your wife might enjoy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Just the fat that was in the beef brisket.
Matt, haven't paid anyone to process deer meat in years. Much more satisfying to do it myself. I find pork fat works well too. We make a lot of sausage and always mix in pork butt at about a 1 to 1 ratio. Enjoy the end result. Well done.
Rob

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good on you for "rolling your own", I think making meat and doing it right is a special thing besides the savings. It helps connect me to what I do a lot more than stopping by the processor and dropping one off. As my nephew started deer hunting we always butchered our deer together and he loves all of it.

The last deer we did after taking the backstraps and tenders out we ground 43 lbs of pure burger. We made 1/2 of that into sausage and the best part of that is making a big pan of biscuits and testing each batch.

Looks like you have the same grinder that I have-does a great job.

Golden............
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This video is about perfect for getting started cleaning the meat off the deer. I found it very useful, but I'm sure a lot of you will not need it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UsVd9d8vI

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Matt,since you already cube the meat next time consider canning some. Tenderizes the toughest meat cuts and gives you many more options for usage.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have never had one processed. Every deer I have ever killed since the 50s has been butchered by my own hand.

I always use pork shoulder for the fat to make burger. Vacuum seal units are really great and vacuum sealed meat fat added or not lasts just as long as any once frozen.

I have discovered that smoking venison whole muscles saves time and produces some really fine eating. I just used Hogh Mountain Mesquite jerky cure. Just separate the muscles of the ham, sprinkle on the High Mountain liberally, put it in a zip lock with the air squeezed out and then into the fridge for 2-3 days. 4 hours at 210 degrees for small muscles like the eye of round and 10-12 hours for big muscles like the top and bottom round. Comes out tender and moist. The shoulder is maybe even better. The long slow cook in the smoker makes them really tender. Vacuum pack them and into the freezer. Much better than the best jerky I have ever made. A good digital temperature controlled smoker that's decently insulated makes this super easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We been doing our own for 20 years. I use pork cushion or pork butt if I cant find pork trimmings. We use vac pack for steaks , roasts and loins butvwe went to 1lb bags for ground. I was a little lery about the bags but i havent had any freezer burn yet and some was in the freezer for just shy of a year. I make and stuff my sausages in smaller batches of about 5 lbs as I need it. I doubt I would ever use a processor again. Always seemed to be some sort of headache. All of them did a nice job but usually the headache was them getting it done before we left town to head home.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I agree, you can freeze it however long you want, but it won't be near as good.

I agree. The fat oxidizes (goes rancid) in about 6 months give or take. Some people notice the rancid taste more than others and many probably eat all their venison fast enough it is not a problem.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i add 2lbs of beef fat to lbs of deer the dump a whole can of blazin burger seasoning over it and grind. i'm eating patties that were done november 2014 that were vacuum sealed. they taste the same as when i sealed them.i don't like ground deer with nothing added.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I usually cut up my Whitetails and Pronghorns.
I start with removing the backstraps and tenderloins, then removing the front and hind quarters.

I do roasts with the front quarters, steaks with the hinds, and remove all other meat to be used as chicken fry meat and/or dog food. I don't fool with burger on these critters. They are usually tender enough to not need grinding up into hamburger.

Removing membranes and silverskin before freezing is important, IMO. It usually takes my wife and I 5-6 hours from starting skinning until the last package is in the freezer, but the final result is well worth the effort.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Removing membranes and silverskin before freezing is important, IMO.

This ^^^^^

I've been doing my own since I was a kid. I've paid to have a few done but only if its warm and I don't have time to do it. As Bighorn posted, I remove everything that isn't meat. Deer fat is horrible. Remove all the fat, connecting tissue, and 'silverskin' and you'll end up with lean meat. For the burger, you'll need to add some fat to get it to stick together when making deer burgers. I normally use pork fat mixed with my burger. The last few years, I've been turning alot of the burger into sausage. As daividlea pointed out, it don't suck with biscuits.

Vacuum sealing is also the way to go. We used to wrap meat in freezer bags but it doesn't last long enough if you shoot 2-3 a year. I've always liked cutting up whatever I kill. It is an extension of the hunt.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The thighs make terrific steaks, I separate the muscle groups and slice them. The one muscle that connect to the major tendon gets ground.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I used to remove all the silverskin as well, then I read somewhere that it actually helps prevent freezer burn. Now I leave it on. I haven't noticed any difference in either the flavor or tenderness of the meat when I leave it on and it does seem to protect from freezer burn. It makes the butchering process go much quicker when not trimming every piece of connective tissue, too. I do trim all the fat and am religious about not letting hair get in the meat.

I always let it age for a few days as well, to get past the rigor stage.

Just my experience, YMMV.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tried it out tonight, nothing fancy just fried up some patties in the pan. Man it was awesome even the wife approved!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I process my own as well and just ate a round steak from a buck I shot in November 2014. Tasted fine. It was wrapped with saran wrap and then freezer paper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We sell a lot of our carcasses, but those I keep I butcher myelf..Given most were our small Roe deer its fairly easy.

In the past I used to take some of the meat to a local butcher and he would add pork belly and seasoning ect, and make them into sausages which were excellent...

One time I asked him to do some burgers..Not sure what went wrong, but they turned out like carpet tiles, they were so tough even the dog had trouble chewing them!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The dog didn't even like it huh? Anyway, I butcher my own too . I dont do hamburger or steaks. I just do roasts and I slice it up in about 1/4-3/8 in. slices. I fry them fast in my cast iron skillet in butter. I make steaks sandwiches out of it. Mayonase , pickles, and matchup, fried onions. Better than anything in the restaurants and darn cheap too. If it is in season, I find some puff ball mushrooms in September and that makes it better yet.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I do. I try to can the fresh meat. It seems the female pallet will pick up "off" flavor when the meat is frozen. Sometimes this "off" flavor can be picked up by my wife only weeks after being frozen. The canning process does not have the same response from women.......they love it, another benefit is it is ready to eat outta the jar......they will be more inclined to use it, it has truly revolutionized wild game consumption levels in my house. I use 90 minutes at 10 pounds. I have a variety of recipes I enjoy it. The jars are easy gifts and traveling without the freezing thawing component of meal management is welcome.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
We sell a lot of our carcasses, but those I keep I butcher myelf..Given most were our small Roe deer its fairly easy.

In the past I used to take some of the meat to a local butcher and he would add pork belly and seasoning ect, and make them into sausages which were excellent...

One time I asked him to do some burgers..Not sure what went wrong, but they turned out like carpet tiles, they were so tough even the dog had trouble chewing them!

Wow, unless you illegally shoe leather cook burger its hard to get it tough...

Burger for us better be medium rare at the most...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
overgrinding or over packing burgers when making them is the only way to make burgers tough.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have always done my own and used to use a saw and make cuts.

Now I bone it all and is sure saves freezer space.
Cut the quarters off of the hanging deer and this year a sat at a table deboning and removing most of the silverskin.

This year I used a 6" and sometimes 9" filet knife for removing the silverskin and for the most part that went really well.

We went to the commercial roll of plastic wrap and then place in freezer quality "Zip Loc" bags.

Next best thing to the vacuum sealed bags and far better than paper as near as I can tell.

I can tell you one thing, doing the work setting at a table sure made it easier on this old fat guy!

Last edited by LouisB; 01/28/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
welcome to the journey.

We processed
1 antelope
9 deer
2 elk
this past season.

For as long as I can remember, we always processed our own.
Sausage, burger, bacon, roasts, steaks, ribs, shanks, tongue, jerky. It is all GOOD!

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been doing my own for years too. I take some to a processor for snack sticks and different sausages. My processor mixes 50/50 beef, and makes the best Italian Sausage, Half Smokes, and snack sticks. When I was a kid the Highs Dairy stores had hot dogs and Half Smokes. I read that
Half Smokes were a Baltimore/Washington specialty, half beef and half pork. Anyway, hadn't seen any in years till I found this guy in PA that still makes them. Cut most of the lean meat up for jerky, maybe enough cubes for a batch of soup, love to smoke a roast. All depends on how many deer I get, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
overgrinding or over packing burgers when making them is the only way to make burgers tough.

Suspect they were over packed as they were very "dense" if that makes sense...

Its about the only time I;'ve had a problem, and ended up buying a burger press and doing my own afterwards...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We cut all of our own also. Be it elk, mule deer, bear, whitetails, and my wife even got a moose a couple years back.

We invested in a Cabelas 1hp grinder several years ago, which works great.
We buy rolls of the plastic produce bags from the grocery stores, put meat in one of those then wrap it in freezer paper it will last for years, literally.

With our burger, which we grind a lot of, we don't add anything to it. I never did like eating a good deer/elk burger that tasted like cow or pig. I hear a lot of people say they add beef or pork fat so it sticks together, no need for that if you know how to make burgers.

By the way, if you ever get a chance, moose is excellent table fare.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006

I used to remove all the silverskin as well, then I read somewhere that it actually helps prevent freezer burn. Now I leave it on. I haven't noticed any difference in either the flavor or tenderness of the meat when I leave it on and it does seem to protect from freezer burn. It makes the butchering process go much quicker when not trimming every piece of connective tissue, too. I do trim all the fat and am religious about not letting hair get in the meat.

I always let it age for a few days as well, to get past the rigor stage.

Just my experience, YMMV.

I too leave the silverskin on some cuts, particularly the sirloins (which I freeze whole) and the outside of the backstraps. I have never noticed and off flavor and also feel it helps insulate. Plus it is easier to peel a strip of silverskin off the outside of a steak after cutting vs trying to fillet it off of a whole roast. Absolutely never let cook anything with silverskin on it though.

After my first two deer went to the processor and were by far my least favorite tasting I started processing all of my own. In my area, deer (other than archery) are generally shot when it is pretty cold out which makes aging them easier and less stressful. I consider the processing of the meat part of the hunt and would probably feel incomplete without that chore at the end. I have friends and acquaintances that can't wait to fill a tag quick and dump it at a locker so they can watch football and drink beer. It's just not for me. My wife is not a hunter and isn't interested in the field dressing or breaking down process but does volunteer to help me with the trimming, grinding and wrapping which helps considerably.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We grind it straight and freeze it straight, then add a bit of pork breakfast sausage from the store right when it is time to cook it.

Have also found that we can age roasts in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and they get quite tender.

The kids have been loving this recipe on roasts lately:
2-week fridge-aged roast
crock pot
one can coca-cola classic
one package onion soup mix
few squirts of BBQ sauce
some water
bunch of onions, carrots, celery
6-8 hours

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

Wild animals are not all the same, whether in species, age, or condition. Connective tissue and silverskin can affect taste, but only in a few species during the rut, or sometimes when they start to lose weight during winter.

When it does occur, the off-taste tends to increase the longer the meat's frozen. Have had it happen with rutty mule deer that tasted fine initially, but after 6 months in the freezer the cuts with more connective tissue definitely changed flavor. But most of the time it doesn't make any difference.

Whether or not to use plastic for wrapping depends a lot on the freezer. Frost-free freezers tend to freezer-burn meat, because freezer burn is a result of "freeze-drying," essentially oxidation of the meat.

Frost-free freezers are constantly cycling moisture outside the freezer, and if you open up a freezer a lot the same thing happens. The worst are the freezer compartments in most new refrigerators. They're frost-free and not as cold as dedicated freezers, and get opened a lot, so oxidation's likely. Fat also oxidizes easily. Lean meat doesn't.

The reason vacuum-sealing works is it gets the air out, the reason we use it primarily for fish and birds, which are often irregularly shaped. With steaks, roasts or burger that can be tightly wrapped, it's not likely, especially in a non-frost-free chest freezer.

My wife and I trim all fat off big game, and don't add any fat to burger. Unless the cut is really irregular, we don't vacuum-pack or even use plastic. Instead we double-wrap in good freezer paper, and put the packages in frost-free chest freezers. They've never freezer-burned even when stored 3 years, and we regularly keep big game meat that long from special animals.

If somebody wants to make sure then plastic helps, especially in frost-free freezers. But if you have a non-frost-free chest freezer, good freezer paper is quicker, a lot cheaper and just as effective.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by bigswede358
We cut all of our own also. Be it elk, mule deer, bear, whitetails, and my wife even got a moose a couple years back.

We invested in a Cabelas 1hp grinder several years ago, which works great.
We buy rolls of the plastic produce bags from the grocery stores, put meat in one of those then wrap it in freezer paper it will last for years, literally.

With our burger, which we grind a lot of, we don't add anything to it. I never did like eating a good deer/elk burger that tasted like cow or pig. I hear a lot of people say they add beef or pork fat so it sticks together, no need for that if you know how to make burgers.

By the way, if you ever get a chance, moose is excellent table fare.

I agree on moose being great table fare. Living in BC. I get one every year. Try and get a mature bull in August before the rut.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm jealous.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 444Matt
So I chose to skip the processor and give it a go myself this time. I kept it pretty basic, just cutting out the back straps and tenderloins for steaks and then everything else I used for hamburger meat.

I do pretty much the same, but the neck, chuck and rump roasts make a very good Sauerbraten.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My hunting partner and I have been busy this year. The new LEM 1.5HP grinder/cuber/slicer has made life easier.

[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow nice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been processing all my own game for more than 30 years. Helped my Dad before I was allowed to carry a gun unsupervised. I know many who pay someone else to process their game, but I never understood it. I wouldn't trust most to do it for me.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments:

Wild animals are not all the same, whether in species, age, or condition. Connective tissue and silverskin can affect taste, but only in a few species during the rut, or sometimes when they start to lose weight during winter.

When it does occur, the off-taste tends to increase the longer the meat's frozen. Have had it happen with rutty mule deer that tasted fine initially, but after 6 months in the freezer the cuts with more connective tissue definitely changed flavor. But most of the time it doesn't make any difference.

Whether or not to use plastic for wrapping depends a lot on the freezer. Frost-free freezers tend to freezer-burn meat, because freezer burn is a result of "freeze-drying," essentially oxidation of the meat.

Frost-free freezers are constantly cycling moisture outside the freezer, and if you open up a freezer a lot the same thing happens. The worst are the freezer compartments in most new refrigerators. They're frost-free and not as cold as dedicated freezers, and get opened a lot, so oxidation's likely. Fat also oxidizes easily. Lean meat doesn't.

The reason vacuum-sealing works is it gets the air out, the reason we use it primarily for fish and birds, which are often irregularly shaped. With steaks, roasts or burger that can be tightly wrapped, it's not likely, especially in a non-frost-free chest freezer.

My wife and I trim all fat off big game, and don't add any fat to burger. Unless the cut is really irregular, we don't vacuum-pack or even use plastic. Instead we double-wrap in good freezer paper, and put the packages in frost-free chest freezers. They've never freezer-burned even when stored 3 years, and we regularly keep big game meat that long from special animals.

If somebody wants to make sure then plastic helps, especially in frost-free freezers. But if you have a non-frost-free chest freezer, good freezer paper is quicker, a lot cheaper and just as effective.

A couple points of correction... oxidation and freeze-drying are very different. Sublimation is the process by which water in solid form turns to a gas without an intermediate liquid form. That is freeze-drying.

Oxidation is the process by which something gives up electrons while combining with oxygen. Burning is an example.

Freezerburning is essentially a melding of the two processes.

Years ago we went to mixing our burger meat with olive oil as we grind. It works so well we have kept it up.

We went to vac packing in chamber machines years ago and it really is far better... and faster...

A couple years ago I went to retort bags... essentially MRE bags that are sealed in a vac sealer and then pressured cooked like jars. Shelf stable, easily stored, and no jars required...

I was there for every step of four big bull moose and two caribou bulls this year. Last year I broke down all of the quarters on eight bull moose... it is just a great way to pass time in the fall...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, I did virtually all of the skinning and butchering on the moose and caribou... they were lifted neatly off the ground for processing and it was the best moose wrangling I have ever gotten to do!

In the end they gave me a hard time because they found a total of about six hairs...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I get my venison ground straight, no beef or pork fat added.

If I need the venison to stick together for burgers, I add freshly shredded cheese to the mix. Works great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TATELAW
My hunting partner and I have been busy this year. The new LEM 1.5HP grinder/cuber/slicer has made life easier.

[Linked Image]

Nice !!
I know that feeling too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just a PSA but the Ky Afield Show has a pretty good video on how to process your deer available. Just google their web site. I wish it had been available before I killed my first deer. I remember when I killed my first one the first for either of us, my buddy asked how are you going to clean this thing ? I said just like a great big rabbit now let's roll him on his back and you hold him by the legs. I actually did a pretty competent job on the butchering part.. Now I prefer to just take hem to the Amish for processing.

Last edited by bangeye; 02/04/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Art,

Sounds interesting, but have a couple questions, and then some comments on how long we keep meat:

What brand of bags are you using in the chamber vac? We buy 1100-foot rolls of 18" wide freezer paper, and process an average of 7 animals a year, ranging in size from "eater" pigs and pronghorn to nilgai, elk and moose. The average cost for paper is around $3 per animal, so am wondering how the bags you use compare in cost.

We have the roll set up in a dispenser/cutter (that as I recall cost around $20, though that was a number of years ago) and have a pretty fast system worked out. With two of us working, we can butcher and wrap a mature northern buck deer in about two hours, cut into steaks, roasts, stew, backstraps, filets and burger. A nilgai, elk or moose takes 4-8 hours, depending on the size of the animal. Am wondering how your system compares timewise.

Freezer burn has never been a problem. For everyday meat we have two non-frost-free 15-cubic-foot chest freezers, one next to the kitchen and the other in the basement, and Eileen has a 15cf upright (again non-frost-free) for her cookbook projects, so she can access them more easily.

We empty and defrost all three each year just before hunting season, then inventory the meat and divide it between the kitchen and upright freezers, a process that takes a couple of hours.

The empty chest freezer in the basement gets filled during hunting season as a "savings account." With very few exceptions, we don't eat any of that meat until the following year.

The kitchen chest freezer gets filled with the oldest packages, with meat from last year's hunting season on the bottom and older packages on top. Most of meat we're eating right is from 2012 and 2013, including several packages we cooked last week while my brother was visiting, and none have been freezer-burned. That's been our experience for many years now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I process my own, although a coworker gave me some jalapeno cheese venison summer sausage and I almost changed my mind. But once the deer were home, I went back to my old ways.

Backstrap, tenderloins and large muscles become steak, the rest is ground. I pick up pork fat from the butcher and beef trimmings from the local grocery store. Add the fat by weight for the percentage I want and grind it.

Burger gets beef fat, pork pan sausage gets pork fat. This year I used Leggs off the shelf breakfast sausage spice mix and it turned out great, second and third batches had garlic and garlic-habanero powder added to the mix.

I bag the pan sausage in quart ziplock bags, about 12 ounces, flat so it thaws quick and goes right in the pan, no need to make patties.

I have not made smoked sausage in casings yet, but I plan to upgrade my grinder with a LEM Big Bite and practice using pork butt in preparation for deer season. I want to use the chub packages with the LEM grinder rather than vacuum bags for burger, appears to be a lot easier.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Art,

Sounds interesting, but have a couple questions, and then some comments on how long we keep meat:

What brand of bags are you using in the chamber vac? We buy 1100-foot rolls of 18" wide freezer paper, and process an average of 7 animals a year, ranging in size from "eater" pigs and pronghorn to nilgai, elk and moose. The average cost for paper is around $3 per animal, so am wondering how the bags you use compare in cost.

We have the roll set up in a dispenser/cutter (that as I recall cost around $20, though that was a number of years ago) and have a pretty fast system worked out. With two of us working, we can butcher and wrap a mature northern buck deer in about two hours, cut into steaks, roasts, stew, backstraps, filets and burger. A nilgai, elk or moose takes 4-8 hours, depending on the size of the animal. Am wondering how your system compares timewise.

Freezer burn has never been a problem. For everyday meat we have two non-frost-free 15-cubic-foot chest freezers, one next to the kitchen and the other in the basement, and Eileen has a 15cf upright (again non-frost-free) for her cookbook projects, so she can access them more easily.

We empty and defrost all three each year just before hunting season, then inventory the meat and divide it between the kitchen and upright freezers, a process that takes a couple of hours.

The empty chest freezer in the basement gets filled during hunting season as a "savings account." With very few exceptions, we don't eat any of that meat until the following year.

The kitchen chest freezer gets filled with the oldest packages, with meat from last year's hunting season on the bottom and older packages on top. Most of meat we're eating right is from 2012 and 2013, including several packages we cooked last week while my brother was visiting, and none have been freezer-burned. That's been our experience for many years now.

John
We ran with butcher paper and heavy freezer wrap for years. First the clear plastic and then the butcher wrap which is folded around the package, not just wrapped like butchers do it. I still do it that way when saving whole deer hams and such.

The bags are much more expensive, but because we run with one, two, or three vac packers depending on the size of the job, it gets done faster than you can wrap carefully.

Now I have access to a packer that will easily vac seal an entire king salmon!

We regularly have meat that is not eaten in a year or two, but generally use last years meat for sausage or burger.

Like anything else the abuse packages get in the freezer is critical to how well meat lasts. With the burger packages we flatten and stack them in proper size boxes to be extremely efficient in space utilization. To speed freezing I will stack short piles to freeze and then stack together with a new package between to mate the packages perfectly.

Bulk packed sausage gets the same treatment.

Extremely rapid thawing is another benefit...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the details. It would certainly be handy to vac-seal an entire king!

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 73 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.