Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted Sunday, on dads birthday. Four of us on WIHA's where we hunted opening weekend. Any bird is a trophy in late season public access.

A couple hundred yards in have a point on a hen that held solid, then a double handful of birds get up ahead of us as we make the first pass. My shorthair goes on point at the end 20 yards from me and a rooster flushes a few moments later. Of course I try to bend the trigger off of my new to me, formerly grandpas, Model 12, damn small safety button anyways. Oh well, still birds to be seen.

Next field we see a good dozen+ On the first push. One rooster on the edge of range made it through to live another day. Had some more hen points. Then brother in laws lab goes into "holy crap there is something close mode" pounces a few times and rooster 1 is in the bag. Nice retrieve to go with the flush.
[Linked Image]

It may be 13 degrees, but he was thirsty dang it

[Linked Image]

Weather was so cold the camera didn't want to work and batteries didn't last for crap. Here is a retrieve off a perfect point. Should have been an easy double, but I short shucked the Model 12 and only got the one. Wanted a closeup as she brought it in but camera refused.
[Linked Image]

Dad finally got a rooster with his new 16 gauge side by side all by himself. Off a point by my shorthair (and retrieve) no less. I got a single on a wild flusher. Good retrieve by the lab.

[Linked Image]

That was the end of our shooting. Only saw a few birds after lunch but they were wild. Was encouraged by the number of hens we saw.

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not sure here you were but out west, roosters are showing up that must have been in a hole earlier. With a little luck on the weather, we might have some birds next fall.
There were dang few hunters west of Garden City this year, including residents.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's always nice to sneak in another hunt before the season is up.

I took a doe on Saturday in unit 19, which worked out well, but I wish I was bird hunting.

Nice trip, and shooting, thanks for the report.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed the report and the photos. It sounds like the dogs had a great time. laugh cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
End of the season successful hunts are always special.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Enjoyed the story and pictures.

Doc

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for sharing your pictures and story of your hunt. Have heard reports of some of the best bird #'s we have had in quite a few years, so I hope things hold for another good year next year.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.