Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MY factory ADL Remington stock splitjust forward of the trigger guard where the right side curves into the bottom. It had been bed by a gunsmith previously and believe the crack eppoxied. I bought a Boyds walnut and bed it myself and this weekend discovered a crack almost identical to the original.

Last time out I had trouble getting the old reliable Burris scope to settle in with some 105 grain loads and took it out this weekend to see if my standard 85 hpbt's would fly ok. I found the action screws to need snugging and that is when I found that the stock had split.

I think i know the answer but is the stock splitting due to my over torquing the action screws? If so why would they be looser now, maybe because of the split developing?

No- I don't have a torque wrench and am planning to get one now but how hard would one have to crank for that to be the cause? (Flame on)

I want a beautiful walnut for this one but if I go that route will definitely pillar bed as I assume it will keep it from splitting.

Just want to get some thoughts before I say screw it and go synthetic.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
from your description not sure just where the crack is, but with an adl you have to make sure the magizine spring doesn't slip under the mag. box when you put it together or it will cause the stock to split. i use electrical tape.

Ed

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good call, thank you...... and dammit!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After the gun is assembled, stick you finger in the loading/ejection port down into the magazine and test to see if the magazine has any vertical movement.

It should! if not it doesn't have enough clearance

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ahhh- gotcha. That is a good one. Thanks. Still need a new bloody stock though mad

. Confucius
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are you guys saying that the vertical movement of the magazine is responsible for splitting a stock? powdr

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe the potential problem being described is lack of vertical movement. The box is too tall for its enclosure and it's binding as the screws are torqued down.

A friend of mine bought a used Rem M7 and its grouping improved a good bit after I spent a bit of time filing the magazine box to eliminate binding.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mathman- wouldn't it be easier to hog out the enclosure?

. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a height issue, so it's easier to file the bottom edge of a a magazine box than to the deepen the inner edge of a stock inlet or floor plate.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I guess not much is needed and the metal not too hard? I was thinking, would pillar bedding help solve for this ?

The pisser is I used tape to hold the follower spring in place in the past but don't think I did last time I futzed widdit. Had no idea it could split the stock.

Anybody have use for two slightly damaged ADL stocks? One a gorgeous factory gloss and the other nice walnut Boyds. Pretty sure they are salvageable. I just see them as my failings and want to erase the memory :-)

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/31/16.

. Confucius
IC B3

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well...decided to go with an H-s precision for about $329 or so. Black with gray web ( at least for now). Aluminum bedding block I guess I can bed if needed. The thought or possibility of splitting a third walnut, especially a semi custom beauty, was more than I could bear.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/04/16.

. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nevertheless make sure the magazine box does not bind.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely. - and thanks. A friend had the idea of a slim bit of foam under the spring. I like it.

. Confucius
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
PM sent.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi all. I got my HS Precision replacement in last night. Turned in to an ordeal but can't blame it all on the new stock. Here is a link if interested in the story and initial opinion. Look at my last post here:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10945858#Post10945858

Shout out to Mathman - you were more right than you know! Thanks.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.