-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
New to coyote hunting. Looking for advise on an electronic caller and what sounds to use. As far as the electronic call, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the higher end calls or am I wasting my money?

I will be hunting clear cuts and frozen rivers mostly. As a first timer, which sounds do I start out with, what should I be trying to mimic?

I know this is a wide open question but any advice will be very helpful.

Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd go with a mid range $ Foxpro if you think you are serious about calling. You can upgrade later to a nicer call if you need. Rabbit distress, mouse and vole squeaks, bird distress sounds work best for me but every place is different. We use a lot of coyote vocals as well later in the winter when they start to pair up to mate. You will just have to get out there with the call and see what happens. I would get a good hand call too and practice with it. Your batteries in the caller WILL die while you are on stand. It happens to everyone! Good luck out there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You will have good days, and bad days, with any and all callers. The caller is part of the equation to a successful stand. Selecting where to make the stand is probably more important than what caller or sound to use.

If there is one rule in calling predators to chisel in stone, it's "watch the wind".

Like Timbermaster, I use coyote vocals this time of year here in Colorado. By now, they have paired up and are becoming territorial, so they have an interest in checking out the 'new kid'.

Prey in distress sounds work well most of the time. If you have other predator hunters in the area, try using an off sound, such as bird or fawn deer in distress.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxpro and buy the best one you can afford

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Knowing WI pretty well, used to hunt and trap there in the 1960's, 70's and 80's it is much easier to call a coyote to you IN the cover than to try and call it out of the cover. The action can be up close and fast but "oh what a rush".

I personally think that a the quality of the stand is far more important than the quality of the caller. A really good predator caller can call coyotes with the cheapest call, A more expensive caller just has more bells and whistles that might put a couple extra pelts on the board but it isn't going to turn a newbie into a predator killing machine.

I won a hunt with a very well known predator hunter and when he wasn't mouth calling he broke out an foxpro spitfire and called coyotes.

I have a FP CS-24 but find myself using an old Minaska M-1 Bandit(first year of introduction) most of the time, I've had it a long time and it still calls coyotes just as well as the CS-24 in the right conditions.

Get a decent bottom end FP with remote, they have good resale and call coyotes, when you get more experience and realize that there are more things in a caller you could actually use you can just about recoup you money and upgrade.

My BinL does some control work for the local dairies in NW WI and a Spitfire is still his goto caller.

Last edited by erich; 01/26/16.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow, thanks guys for all the great info. Lots of good pointers for this newbie to predator hunting. I did give the guys a call at allpredatorcalls.com and they set me up with a FoxPro banshee. It should arrive on Wednesday, hopefully I can get out this weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is one caveat I would throw in with respect to which Foxpro caller you may choose. Even the base models with your choice of 10 or 20 sounds will work for you forever. The caveat? Get one that has a remote that your eyes can see. In my opinion, the Hellfire is about the best bang for the buck. However, the Hellfire's T-9 remote is difficult to read if you have anything but good vision. I have overall good vision; but, I need cheaters to read. With my T-9 remote, boy howdy do I need my cheaters unless held perfectly in perfect lighting conditions. The next step up, in my opinion, is the Inferno/Crossfire/Banshee which use the TX-500/505 which can be read much more easily. Finally, their higher end calls, the Fusion, CS-24 and several others use the TX-1000 remote which is outstanding. I have two hell fires. I love them; but, I am going to sell them. If they came with the TX-1000 remote, I would never get rid of them, ever. I have moved up to the Fusion because it is at the bottom end, money-wise, of the callers using the TX-1000. The TX-1000 remote is readable in all conditions and has better range.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If the Scorpion 1xb had the tx 1000 remote, I'd still have it. The only FoxPro calls to buy are the ones with that remote. There is NO comparison between the low end and high end FoxPro callers. Just a marketing strategy so someone can have a FoxPro who can't or won't pay the $$. I had a neighbor tell me a Sabre lawnmower was the same a non-throwaway John Deere-right. Same concept.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
the higher end Foxpros have the TX1000 remote- a must have, they also have bigger better batteries, more sounds and the rest is gimmicky features that you may or may not ever use. I don't use any of them on my Shockwave. I also have an old analog model- 416. I have killed a LOT of schit with it over the years but it only has 15 sounds. I like my new one tons better.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Foxpro and buy the best one you can afford

This !

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks again for the tips guys. I ended up purchasing a FoxPro Banshee from Allpredatorcalls.com. For the money and the type of hunting I plan on doing as a beginner, the Banshee seemed to make sense.

Now I need to learn what call sounds I need to use and when and how often. Any tips?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tips?

Get in the woods.

PS - I have the same caller. I just upgraded IMO from a 9 year old CS 24...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.