24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's barrel stamped .45-90 Win. than the Gould is on the bullet weight that was SUPPOSED to be loaded into it.
The .45-90 WAS originally designated an "Express", IIRC.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not an original Winchester barrel, though...custom 22" 1/2 Octagon. I really should letter the thing at some point, just to learn what it was originally chambered in.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Before you guys go totally overboard about the 340 grain 45 caliber Gould bullet, you need to consider a couple of things. One is that it tears up a lot of meat. Due to massive expansion, it gives up a lot of penetration which disqualifies it as a bullet for big hogs with a thick shield, or bison. Another thing, and this is a biggie, its very short length requires that it be shot out of a 1-20 twist or slower barrel if you expect any kind of accuracy. Check your barrel twist before you drop the bucks for a mold. Just sayin'.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be heading out to deer camp the end of the month to do some work on our house so in addition to tool boxes goes with the electronic caller,the'86 Win 45/90 and Gould bullets over KIK 2..Hopefully the song dogs cooperate.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Before you guys go totally overboard about the 340 grain 45 caliber Gould bullet, you need to consider a couple of things. One is that it tears up a lot of meat. Due to massive expansion, it gives up a lot of penetration which disqualifies it as a bullet for big hogs with a thick shield, or bison. Another thing, and this is a biggie, its very short length requires that it be shot out of a 1-20 twist or slower barrel if you expect any kind of accuracy. Check your barrel twist before you drop the bucks for a mold. Just sayin'.

That bullet LOVES a 22 twist.
Funny how well some 22 twists will handle heavier bullets, and yet the 18 twists will more typically toss lighter slugs sideways.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good lord there you target shooters go again with the friggin accuracy thing.....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Jap '86 has a 20 twist same as the 45/70 and launches the Lyman #193 and #643 without issue so I'm not looking for any surprises with the Gould bullet.At 30:1 it'll be on the heavy side typical of most Lyman molds and probably be around 350 ish I suspect.

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That flyin' clay ashtray is gonna make a hella mess Woody. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe so but many posts on several cast bullet forums say its a great deer bullet.. heck my triple 4 with 265 gr Hornady's will knock em out their sneakers and make a mess for lousy shot placements.I'm a heart/lunger always have been, eatin up to the hole ain't a problem in that locale.. grin

Woody
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have used it for several years. It is devastating on deer. Shot a nice 9 pointer one year and could shove my fist thru the exit hole. I have very large hands. It will do hogs up to a certain point. My son and I tag teamed on a 400 lb boar in Oklahoma one year. Took 3 shots to the neck to tip him over. When dressing him out we found the pieces. I took a nice boar of 200 or so and it did fine. These were straight wheel weight alloy. 45/70s by the way. That said I'm about out and need to heat up the pot.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-fo Buddy, hammer the hell outta 'em. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
My Jap '86 has a 20 twist same as the 45/70 and launches the Lyman #193 and #643 without issue so I'm not looking for any surprises with the Gould bullet.At 30:1 it'll be on the heavy side typical of most Lyman molds and probably be around 350 ish I suspect.

Want to see that bullet REALLY expand ?

Secure a common BB into its' nose,...All I had was some Permatex gasket shellac when I did that,...That setup was just like a bomb on feral dogs.

.45s ARE fun with lighter bullets,...

Heavier bullets ain't bad, when driven at sane velocities, either.

GTC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's a bomb on feral dogs without the BB too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,Bill..We don't have many feral hogs up this way but I've been practicing on song dogs the last few years with the Sharps.

The big PP slicks or greasers don't do much but hole in and hole out and usually won't stop em in their tracks unless head or spine shot however the BB in the HP sounds dastardly devastating. grin Will load some both ways for the trial run.

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Filling that cavity with "P-Tex" ski base repair plastic, or just common epoxy kicks the chit out of expansion ratios too.

Hell, try cutting "Dum Dum" grooves into it,....you can than hear it whistle on it's way down range.

You'll not be HITTING anything, but if you want to freak out your fellow shooters,...drill a hole through the front of a bullet,.....they'll land in the general vicinity of where your barrel's pointed,.....and make a blood curdling shriek, so doing.

Screamers,....hard on morale, back in the day, funnier than hell now.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Filling that cavity with "P-Tex" ski base repair plastic, or just common epoxy kicks the chit out of expansion ratios too.

Hell, try cutting "Dum Dum" grooves into it,....you can than hear it whistle on it's way down range.

You'll not be HITTING anything, but if you want to freak out your fellow shooters,...drill a hole through the front of a bullet,.....they'll land in the general vicinity of where your barrel's pointed,.....and make a blood curdling shriek, so doing.

Screamers,....hard on morale, back in the day, funnier than hell now.

GTC

A young lad [first time deer hunter] in our group is already freaked standing downrange listening to the humming bird whine of the incoming Sharps, think he needs discovered to those "screamers".. That'll be worth a video later! grin

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe it was Giuseppe Garibaldi II , who instructed his blacksmiths to spool up pieces of pipe with holes in em' that fit the Muzzle Loading Cannon he commanded during the Mexican Revolution.

Guess the stuff was an honest to God "Terror Weapon" and the unfortunates whose heads these ghastly infernal machines were tossed over HAD been eating frijoles and drinkin' bad water,.....

Jeez those musta' been smelly events.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannon cockers in Vietnam would take an empty B-2 unit can, punch holes around top and bottom with a B-52 (church key) and fit it over the fuse of an 8" or 155mm projectile. HOLYSCHIDTSKI was that a horror to hear eek The gooks wuzn't too wild about 'em either.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Cannon cockers in Vietnam would take an empty B-2 unit can, punch holes around top and bottom with a B-52 (church key) and fit it over the fuse of an 8" or 155mm projectile. HOLYSCHIDTSKI was that a horror to hear eek The gooks wuzn't too wild about 'em either.

I vividly remember the unnerving sound of incoming 122's..

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ran the first batch of the Gould bullet yesterday at 30:1 not exactly happy with the results.One half of the Lyman mold cavity is rough leaving ridges even ran a small test batch at 20:1 thinking they might fill out better but no such luck.My original guessed weight was approaching 350 grs but they drop a constant 343 grs and mic .4575

Encountered this before, usually some good old tooth paste via cotton swab and elbow grease takes care of bizz.

Normally run all my BPCR bullets at 650-675 degrees but this HP needs extra heat and seems to want to behave around 720 without frosting..won't scrap these but use them for some of Greg's "screamers" later.. grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.