Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone done an elk hunt in Canada? I am looking for two hunts in 2016, for my wife and myself. Thanks Daniel

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In 2008 I did a combo elk/moose/Mtn caribou hunt with Stone Mountain Safaris and had the time of my life. Far more than just a hunt but you have to like horses...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also had a great hunt for the same species with Prophet-Muskwa Outfitters. Same deal with horses....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The horse bit may be a problem for this old man. Been 55 years since I was on a horse and then for only a few minutes.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I live in British Columbia and good elk hunts are pretty much horseback hunts.

Last edited by Tuchodi; 01/08/16. Reason: Typo
IC B2

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
No idea if there outfitters in the area but there are good numbers of elk in and proximal to farm / ranch land in SW Alberta. perhaps there might be some no horses / minimal horses options.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe someone will chime in with a no horseback hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DLALLDER:
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that this second weekend of 2016 finds you well and warm.

As mentioned by tuchodi - welcome here from the Okanagan tuchodi!! - I can't envision an elk hunt in BC that might give a guided hunter even remotely good odds of taking a bull without either horses or what most would consider a death march on foot.

I used to hunt with horses and my current favorite elk chasing spot is so full of shin tangle there'd be no chance of getting a horse in there. The major limiting factor for me personally when hunting is how many hours/how many trips on my back with meat the extraction will be.

Anyway this isn't meant as a discouragement sir - just some real world, local perspective.

If you've not traveled up into Canada to hunt for a bit, please take the time to peruse the stickied thread at the top here which contains a wealth of information for anyone coming up across the medicine line to hunt.

There are elk in all four western provinces - some really big specimens in Manitoba and Saskatchewan by the way - but I'm not certain if they're available to non-resident hunters.

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone considering taking advantage of our 30% lower dollar. Good luck on your hunts whichever way you decide sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You might have a look at HORSESHOE CREEK OUTFITTERS website. They are located in BC's peace river country and provide non horse back elk hunts. Not a wilderness experience but good outfit and good success rates

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can anyone comment on how hard it is to get meat back into the US from Canada?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's easy. There are a couple of official hoops to go through at the border, but all you need is to present documentation of your hunt to U.S. officials when you return. I've done it a bunch of times.

The biggest problem is traveling by air, which means paying extra money for extra baggage--which is why I drive up, if possible.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's good to know. Couldn't imagine bagging an elk plus a moose and not being able to take the meat home.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
We made a wt hunt in 2013 in Alberta and drove from east Texas. No problems at the Saskatchewan border going or coming home and had a big 300 lb wt boned out in the back of the truck

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GRF
No idea if there outfitters in the area but there are good numbers of elk in and proximal to farm / ranch land in SW Alberta. perhaps there might be some no horses / minimal horses options.

I second the suggestion of SW Alberta.
I would also look at the Peace Country in northern Alberta.
There maybe some good hunts in the Parkland region as well. Elk are expanding into new areas across the province. Does the outfitter you used for your deer hunt guide for elk as well? IIRC that was in the Parkland area.

We have a good number of elk here in SE Alberta now but I haven't heard of anyone outfitting for them here yet.
This is mainly due I believe, to the fact the herds regularly move in and out of the military base which while there is a "hunt" on it, is only open to residents on a draw basis.
Daniel, as you know, I live, work and play in SE Alberta and I am holding off cashing in my draw points in this region due to fact the elk, esp the big boys, don't venture far from the base. FWIW there have been some excellent bulls taken in the area outside the base though. I wouldn't recommend basing an expensive trip here....yet. I suspect things will change as the herd matures and disperses further in the SE.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Jeff,thanks for the info and the outfitters you sent. We have not made a decision yet but I may not have many more seasons to hunt at 70. Jeff, we deer hunted at Viking, Ab., not sure what area it is called. Kevin, the outfitter has not responded to my email but don't think he does elk hunts.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 01/10/16.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Daniel,

Viking is in the Parkland region.
I'll see what I can dig up in a couple days. I think I know an outfitter in the SW who does elk hunts.

I'm on nights tonight then going on one of the cow elk hunts on the military base as a helper with a friend who has a tag.
Jeff

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks, Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Daniel,

Apologies for the delay. We took a very large cow elk on our base hunt then went on night shifts right away.

I dug up a couple outfitters who might fit your requirements.

Blue Bronna operates in my favourite part of Alberta, just north of the Crowsnest Pass. I haven't hunted elk in there but have hunted MD and grouse as well as fly fish the Crowsnest River every chance I get. Hope to retire in the area.

CCC Outfitters also operates in the SW region. Mainly Foothills/ranchlands I believe.

Last one is NW of Calgary in the Foothills. He mentions access by truck specifically on his website.

Hopefully this gives you a place to start. SW Alberta has some pretty darn good elk hunting.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Jeff,thanks for the info and the outfitters you sent. We have not made a decision yet but I may not have many more seasons to hunt at 70. Jeff, we deer hunted at Viking, Ab., not sure what area it is called. Kevin, the outfitter has not responded to my email but don't think he does elk hunts.

There are some big bull elk not far from Viking around the Camp Wainwright area, but I'm not sure on the seasons. I know the "on camp" zone is a draw for Alberta Residents only. I think the surrounding zones are archery only, but there may be a rifle season. I only mention it as you are familiar with the area. I live about 45 min from Viking.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all the information but it looks like we will be going to Montana in late October. Not a done deal but very promising.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.