W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Or, the same things by different names.

I was just thinking of the icing sugar we buy in Dryden, Ontario
That would be powdered sugar in Iowa.
Then there is the knit cap, stocking cap south of the medicine line, tuque north of the line.

There are many more, call it "cabin fever" if you must, but care to name some more?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
'servie'ete' instead of napkin--after 40 years I still can't get used to that one.

leftenant instead lootenant

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peameal bacon here, back bacon I believe in the States.

I have been in restaurants down south where they had no idea what malt vinegar is. Similarly my wife tried to get hot tea and was served iced tea.

I know there are others but they just aren't coming to mind right now.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back bacon in the Midwestern US is called Canadian Bacon.
Lots of places down south can't relate to gravy on french fries

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A Toque and green canvas duck parka where the winter-wear of my youth! Snow-shoes and knee-high Cree moccasins stuffed with "witches hair" moss were perfect for the -40 winters we worked and played in. Kangaroo hide mittens were tougher and longer lasting than similar cow-hide handwear.

Life was good for those of us growing up in Northern Saskatchewan in the 1960's. smile

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a cousin living is Southern California who goes crazy with happiness when one of her relatives sends her a box of Coffee Crisp bars and Ketchup flavoured potatoe chips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aye! There you go. Combine instead of Harvester. Rye whiskey -What's that? Aye?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Yep, no poutines to be seen down here.

My wife loves the ketchup flavored potato chips...and a candy bar called a "Wunderbarr"

Me, I just like catching jackfish.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slew sharks!

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Yep, no poutines to be seen down here.

My wife loves the ketchup flavored potato chips...and a candy bar called a "Wunderbarr"

Me, I just like catching jackfish.... grin

Never mind gravy on french fries, y'all put gravy on biscuits -- butter and Good maple syrup for me. Myself I prefer good side bacon to pork loin for breakfast. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Slew sharks!

Hammer handles.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is called a "Hoodie" in most other parts of North America is called a Bunny Hug in Saskatchewan. For some reason city rappers and gang members don't like that name much.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by castnblast
What is called a "Hoodie" in most other parts of North America is called a Bunny Hug in Saskatchewan. For some reason city rappers and gang members don't like that name much.

"Bunny Hug" was a brand name once upon a time. Sort of like ViCo, though that one seems to have run its course.

To this day "hoodie" sounds like baby-talk to me. Seems like something you'd put on with your mitties and booties; right after you're too old for onesies and a blankie.

Not surprisingly baby-talking rappers failed to get much traction. wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Slew sharks!

Hammer handles.

Snot Rockets.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Them is gators. . Not pickerel. Pickerel (walleyes below the line) are for eating.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Snot rockets. Good one!

Slime machines. smile

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warm on this last week of January.

I grew up around Yorkton mainly but spent 3½ years in Nipawin too and had family living in spots like Black Lake and Cumberland House - so I too had a pair of moccasins.

We surely did all have the green duck parkas for work - and had the slippery nylon shelled, goose down stuffed parkas made in Zenon Park for school wear.

Other than what's been mentioned, one term that seems to be a Saskatchewan/Alberta term is "boomer" or "load boomer" instead of "chain binder" or "load binder" that they use here in BC.

Anyway if I think of a few more Canuckisms I'll add them later, but that's all I can muster at present.

All the best to you Cariboo.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
When I was a kid walleye were pike, Saugers were sand pike, and northerns were northerns. Was a type of northern that was a Pickerel ( small northern ) .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Homo Milk - whole milk in 'Merica.

Eavestroughs - gutters in 'Merica.

Cheers,

R

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Dwayne,

It's a typical El Niño winter here in the puddle; 10 degrees above freezing and rain.(I wouldn't want to be wearing moccasins today!) The snow is disappearing fast! If this holds it will do our moose and deer loads of good.

My father was the newspaper publisher in Yorkton for years and he loved the people who lived in the area who were mostly of Ukrainian decent. He always claimed they were the friendliest folk in the world.

I was raised on the Northern edge the parkland belt about 100 miles Northwest of North Battleford. We were only a few miles from the bush country and had hundreds of lakes within an hours drive. Fishing for Jackfish (aka Northern Pike or Slough Sharks) Pickerel (aka Walleye) and Yellow Perch was always better than working the fields. wink We lived a long bicycle ride from the North Saskatchewan river but once there we could also catch Sauger, Goldeyes and occasionally sturgeon in addition to the Jackfish and Pickerel.

Winters were full of hockey, curling and trapping muskrats and beaver. I also did a fair bit of ice fishing with line & lure but was more often enlisted by my Cree & Metis friends to help set and pull under-ice nets. (They claimed I was born with a strong back and weak mind! wink ) Near the end of February beef calves started hitting the ground and that became priority #1. Shooting coyotes and the odd wolf that was attracted to the calving sheds also put some fur on the stretcher boards.

Like I said I really enjoyed growing up in that part of the world at that time. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.