W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Or, the same things by different names.

I was just thinking of the icing sugar we buy in Dryden, Ontario
That would be powdered sugar in Iowa.
Then there is the knit cap, stocking cap south of the medicine line, tuque north of the line.

There are many more, call it "cabin fever" if you must, but care to name some more?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
'servie'ete' instead of napkin--after 40 years I still can't get used to that one.

leftenant instead lootenant

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peameal bacon here, back bacon I believe in the States.

I have been in restaurants down south where they had no idea what malt vinegar is. Similarly my wife tried to get hot tea and was served iced tea.

I know there are others but they just aren't coming to mind right now.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back bacon in the Midwestern US is called Canadian Bacon.
Lots of places down south can't relate to gravy on french fries

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A Toque and green canvas duck parka where the winter-wear of my youth! Snow-shoes and knee-high Cree moccasins stuffed with "witches hair" moss were perfect for the -40 winters we worked and played in. Kangaroo hide mittens were tougher and longer lasting than similar cow-hide handwear.

Life was good for those of us growing up in Northern Saskatchewan in the 1960's. smile

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a cousin living is Southern California who goes crazy with happiness when one of her relatives sends her a box of Coffee Crisp bars and Ketchup flavoured potatoe chips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aye! There you go. Combine instead of Harvester. Rye whiskey -What's that? Aye?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Yep, no poutines to be seen down here.

My wife loves the ketchup flavored potato chips...and a candy bar called a "Wunderbarr"

Me, I just like catching jackfish.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slew sharks!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

My wife loves the ketchup flavored potato chips...and a candy bar called a "Wunderbarr"

Never mind gravy on french fries, y'all put gravy on biscuits -- butter and Good maple syrup for me. Myself I prefer good side bacon to pork loin for breakfast. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Slew sharks!

Hammer handles.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is called a "Hoodie" in most other parts of North America is called a Bunny Hug in Saskatchewan. For some reason city rappers and gang members don't like that name much.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by castnblast
What is called a "Hoodie" in most other parts of North America is called a Bunny Hug in Saskatchewan. For some reason city rappers and gang members don't like that name much.

"Bunny Hug" was a brand name once upon a time. Sort of like ViCo, though that one seems to have run its course.

To this day "hoodie" sounds like baby-talk to me. Seems like something you'd put on with your mitties and booties; right after you're too old for onesies and a blankie.

Not surprisingly baby-talking rappers failed to get much traction. wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Slew sharks!

Hammer handles.

Snot Rockets.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Them is gators. . Not pickerel. Pickerel (walleyes below the line) are for eating.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Snot rockets. Good one!

Slime machines. smile

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warm on this last week of January.

I grew up around Yorkton mainly but spent 3½ years in Nipawin too and had family living in spots like Black Lake and Cumberland House - so I too had a pair of moccasins.

We surely did all have the green duck parkas for work - and had the slippery nylon shelled, goose down stuffed parkas made in Zenon Park for school wear.

Other than what's been mentioned, one term that seems to be a Saskatchewan/Alberta term is "boomer" or "load boomer" instead of "chain binder" or "load binder" that they use here in BC.

Anyway if I think of a few more Canuckisms I'll add them later, but that's all I can muster at present.

All the best to you Cariboo.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
When I was a kid walleye were pike, Saugers were sand pike, and northerns were northerns. Was a type of northern that was a Pickerel ( small northern ) .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Homo Milk - whole milk in 'Merica.

Eavestroughs - gutters in 'Merica.

Cheers,

R

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Dwayne,

It's a typical El Niño winter here in the puddle; 10 degrees above freezing and rain.(I wouldn't want to be wearing moccasins today!) The snow is disappearing fast! If this holds it will do our moose and deer loads of good.

My father was the newspaper publisher in Yorkton for years and he loved the people who lived in the area who were mostly of Ukrainian decent. He always claimed they were the friendliest folk in the world.

I was raised on the Northern edge the parkland belt about 100 miles Northwest of North Battleford. We were only a few miles from the bush country and had hundreds of lakes within an hours drive. Fishing for Jackfish (aka Northern Pike or Slough Sharks) Pickerel (aka Walleye) and Yellow Perch was always better than working the fields. wink We lived a long bicycle ride from the North Saskatchewan river but once there we could also catch Sauger, Goldeyes and occasionally sturgeon in addition to the Jackfish and Pickerel.

Winters were full of hockey, curling and trapping muskrats and beaver. I also did a fair bit of ice fishing with line & lure but was more often enlisted by my Cree & Metis friends to help set and pull under-ice nets. (They claimed I was born with a strong back and weak mind! wink ) Near the end of February beef calves started hitting the ground and that became priority #1. Shooting coyotes and the odd wolf that was attracted to the calving sheds also put some fur on the stretcher boards.

Like I said I really enjoyed growing up in that part of the world at that time. smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Or, the same things by different names.

We drink pop, not soda.

We use the washroom not the restroom.

We still spell using the Queen's English and put the "U" in its proper place in words like Humour & Colour

We express distance in "klicks" not miles.

Booze comes in twenty-sixers, 40 Pounders, and Mickeys. A Texas Mickey sounds American but is as Canadian as Maple Syrup.

1 Canadian gallon is as large as 1.2 American gallons. (That's why Canadian cars get such great gas mileage!)

Real Whisky - not Whiskey - is made with rye grain.

We wear runners on our feet not sneakers.

Poutine, Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, and split-pea soup are all foods.

Robertson screwdrivers are 100% Canadian.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Malt vinegar on chips is the best.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
A little correction for you. Poutine is curds on fries then gravy on top of that. Gravy on fries has the distinct name of "Gravy on fries". I've never had Poutine and don't want to thank you very much. I have had gravy on Biscuits and am sorry I ever tried it. Must be an acquired taste and I believe is part of the homeland security thing because I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed this side of the border, which is okay because they can keep it.

Another acquired taste is Rye Whiskey. I've been told in an American Tavern, that "We only sell quality products here!" when asked for one. Turns out they quite happily sell "Canadian Blended Whiskey". In the same bottles and brands as I buy Rye.

Pea-meal Bacon is Pea-meal Bacon and is indeed back bacon inside the pea-meal. I was told by Ontarioian that it is as Canadian as could be but had NEVER heard of it out west. Had it/saw it for the first time in my mid fifties on a visit to Ontario.

Chesterfield vs. Sofa

A "Fifth" vs a ? referring to the missing 20% (1/5th) of a gallon subtracted for tax purpose to make the US gallon from the Imperial gallon. We don't have a missing "fifth" here.

A Ton vs a Tonne, pronounced the same. 2000 pounds vs 1000 kilograms (2200 pounds).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg S;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well, warm and dry as the first month of 2016 draws near to a close.

I've got to say I must have been over 50 when one of our daughters talked me into trying poutine fries with her from the local fry truck in Penticton.

Despite how it sounds and frankly looks as well - those were pretty tasty actually.

The "best" poutine fries I've had were in the Hooded Merganser restaurant in Penticton where the gravy was some kind of duck confit so they claimed. I dunno what it all was made of, but this guy really thought they were quite a stretch beyond pretty fair eating. wink

Just one of the many things our girls helped me stretch a bit in I guess.

Anyway sir, I am with you on gravy on biscuits, though the stuff I tried at a breakfast bar in Spokane were likely not the finest example one might have encountered. laugh

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Biscuits and Gravy in Canada? I may have to rethink my Hunting trip next fall> smile

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
No Biscuits and Gravy in Canada? I may have to rethink my Hunting trip next fall> smile

7mmMato;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this cool, still last Saturday of January finds you well.

To clarify a wee bit - we do in fact have biscuits in Canada - some of them you'll find for sale at purveyors of edible goods.

In the same vein, gravy is available in such establishments as well, though I must say less so.

What we don't do typically however is mix the two. wink eek

Now I will say this about that - if you were to pick up an extra black bear tag, take one home with you and make sausage out of it - I'd think it'd be a wonderful foundation for sausage gravy.

That'd make it sorta a Canuck version of what you're asking for, would it not? laugh

Good luck on your hunt up here and all the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good morning Dwayne.

I'll toss in that I have yet, so far as I recall, dined on biscuits, and gravy North of the 49th.
That does not by any means I have not dined exceeding well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good day to you sir, I'm hoping that the morning has been a good one thus far for you folks too.

It's just above freezing here, a slight drizzle falling and about perfect weather for a couple indoor firearm projects that I've got to get done before the weather turns nice enough to do yard work.

It'd be a bit muddy for calving now however, though it's a month off for that I'd think.

Anyway sir, I'm heartened to learn that we've not starved you out in your travels on this side of the medicine line. wink

Perhaps years ago food might have been a bit more regional up here, but nowadays with our nomadic lifestyle it's not tough to find too Thai, Indian, Vietnamese or "insert your favorite ethnic food here" type of restaurant up here. Good heavens we even see "British" food restaurants in our part of the world - and there's even vehicles parked there on occasion too - suggesting once again there's no accounting for taste! laugh

All the best to you this weekend wabigoon, I'd better go check the wood stove in the garage now to see if it's time to drag out the arms getting worked over this weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne: sounds like down here. In some major metro areas there are restaurants featuring " Irish Cuisine"....

An oxymoron if there ever was one shocked

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Top of the morning to you sir, thanks for the chuckle!

I'm with you on the puzzlement of what "Irish cuisine" just might be.

In these parts, most establishments that have an Irish slant on them feature alcohol - lots and lots of alcohol......

Typically we call 'em bars or pubs. wink

All the best to you folks this weekend sir.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The best biscuits and gravy I ever had in Canada were not in a restaurant but rather made by a lady up in Pickle Lake Ontario - this k the furthest north town in Ontario you can drive to. She was from N Carolina, and she made great biscuits.

Her gravy was made by frying shaved smoked ham in butter and oils and then adding a milk and flour mix to get the white gravy. It was rich, and when I asked for my second helping, I said, "I think I just felt some blood moving in my veins. Do you think I could try another helping of that angel food?" smile

Brother Keith

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

No...not as we know biscuits and gravy..

They'll put brown gravy on anything.....including your breakfast, if you ask.... sick

Other food differences I've noted: they have the BEST ketchup ! Sweeter than ours.

They don't seem to be aware that a Patty Melt or a Reuben is made on rye bread.

They don't seem to know margaritas come in "margarita flavor"..

They are apparently not aware of the existence of bourbon.

If you are in Alberta you need to smear a little Cattle Boys BBQ sauce on your steak..it aint what it sounds like and we always bring a couple bottles home. Delish!

I like a lot of their lager style beer.

If in Alberta Rickards Red is as good a beer as Ive ever had. grin

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The best biscuits and gravy I ever had in Canada were not in a restaurant but rather made by a lady up in Pickle Lake Ontario - this k the furthest north town in Ontario you can drive to. She was from N Carolina, and she made great biscuits.

Her gravy was made by frying shaved smoked ham in butter and oils and then adding a milk and flour mix to get the white gravy. It was rich, and when I asked for my second helping, I said, "I think I just felt some blood moving in my veins. Do you think I could try another helping of that angel food?" smile

Lady from North Carolina. is that Miss Lynn by chance?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
wabigoon;
Good day to you sir, I'm hoping that the morning has been a good one thus far for you folks too.

It's just above freezing here, a slight drizzle falling and about perfect weather for a couple indoor firearm projects that I've got to get done before the weather turns nice enough to do yard work.

It'd be a bit muddy for calving now however, though it's a month off for that I'd think.

Anyway sir, I'm heartened to learn that we've not starved you out in your travels on this side of the medicine line. wink

Perhaps years ago food might have been a bit more regional up here, but nowadays with our nomadic lifestyle it's not tough to find too Thai, Indian, Vietnamese or "insert your favorite ethnic food here" type of restaurant up here. Good heavens we even see "British" food restaurants in our part of the world - and there's even vehicles parked there on occasion too - suggesting once again there's no accounting for taste! laugh

All the best to you this weekend wabigoon, I'd better go check the wood stove in the garage now to see if it's time to drag out the arms getting worked over this weekend.

Dwayne

Doing great Dwayne hope all is well with you. 55 degrees today in Missouri. Spent the day putting snow chains on my tractor and fixing hydraulic leaks. Shot some pistols and went to the gym. We have a big storm possible headed this way they say we could get a dusting of snow up to 18" depending on how the system progresses. Everyone is freaking out.

So in my infinite wisdom I ordered a set of snow shoes from Amazon and put chains on the tractor. My experience is that by being prepared I have now put the Vex on the storm and It wont even snow here. If I put off the chain installation it will snow 3 foot with 60 mph winds. I like the snow but no one else seems to around here.

On the Biscuits and Gravy I guess I can overlook them not being readily available in Canada as they really aren't what you want to be eating to lose weight. So I guess I will still mosey on up there in September and shoot at some Moose. I hope that Crown Royal and Diet Coke are available up there. Have a good weekend.

Charles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No...not as we know biscuits and gravy..

They'll put brown gravy on anything.....including your breakfast, if you ask.... sick

Other food differences I've noted: they have the BEST ketchup ! Sweeter than ours.

They don't seem to be aware that a Patty Melt or a Reuben is made on rye bread.

They don't seem to know margaritas come in "margarita flavor"..

They are apparently not aware of the existence of bourbon.

If you are in Alberta you need to smear a little Cattle Boys BBQ sauce on your steak..it aint what it sounds like and we always bring a couple bottles home. Delish!

I like a lot of their lager style beer.

If in Alberta Rickards Red is as good a beer as Ive ever had. grin

Brown Gravy at Breakfast is a Unpardonable Sin. Im betting Becky Creek is not a mainstay up there either.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ihookem

Lady from North Carolina. is that Miss Lynn by chance?

Nope. A missionary's wife our family spent time with. Good folks.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, as an aside, when you weren't eating biscuits and gravy how did you and the family make out moose hunting this past fall?

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps the most "Canuckishm" of all, Hydro, as electric power.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Keith, as an aside, when you weren't eating biscuits and gravy how did you and the family make out moose hunting this past fall?

Jim

Jim,

We didn't make out at all. The tag situation around here was abysmal. And calf season only two weeks? Sadly, I couldn't see wasting fifty plus dollars on a tag. How did your crew fare?

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
wabigoon;

Dwayne

Doing great Dwayne hope all is well with you. 55 degrees today in Missouri. Spent the day putting snow chains on my tractor and fixing hydraulic leaks. Shot some pistols and went to the gym. We have a big storm possible headed this way they say we could get a dusting of snow up to 18" depending on how the system progresses. Everyone is freaking out.

So in my infinite wisdom I ordered a set of snow shoes from Amazon and put chains on the tractor. My experience is that by being prepared I have now put the Vex on the storm and It wont even snow here. If I put off the chain installation it will snow 3 foot with 60 mph winds. I like the snow but no one else seems to around here.

On the Biscuits and Gravy I guess I can overlook them not being readily available in Canada as they really aren't what you want to be eating to lose weight. So I guess I will still mosey on up there in September and shoot at some Moose. I hope that Crown Royal and Diet Coke are available up there. Have a good weekend.

Charles

You bet Crown and Coke is available North of the Medicine Line.
Gibsons is a staple in our moose camp as a late evening beverage. Straight up or if there is a mountain creek close enough it gets mixed with glacier water.

Last edited by troutfly; 01/31/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I think you know we fly in to area 17. We had tags but got no moose. The grandson of one of our party saw a cow on the first morning but the wind was blowing so hard it was impossible to get a shot. A couple of days later I called a young bull out but he was 6 to 700 yards away. I tried to call him closer but he was across water and I wasn't good enough to get him to swim.

I think this may have been the last year for me for moose. This June I will be 80 and have been leaning more heavily on others for some time. I have offered to fill in if one of the four now planning on going cannot make it. I still plan on deer hunting at the daughter and son-in-laws cottage since it is a low pressure hunt. Saw lots of deer but they were all does and fawns and I didn't have a tag for antlerless. The hunt was enjoyable though seeing so many deer.

All the best in the new year to you and your family.

Jim

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

You can get your poutine here...as long as your toque is on right eh?

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by forpest
Them is gators. . Not pickerel. Pickerel (walleyes below the line) are for eating.

I've never heard of anyone refer to a walleye as a pickerel.

and I'll take a northern any day over a walleye to eat.

Camp is where you make it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Grew up fishing in Northern Saskatchewan.

Walleye were always called pickerel.

Northerns were called Jacks or Jackfish.

Not much difference in the flavour between pickerel and Jack if taken out of cold water.

Only issue with Jacks in those y bones. But that can be dealt with .

Alot of people don't like Jacks because of the slime.

Flyer

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The proper name for what most Americans call walleyes is "yellow pickerel", at least that is what the MNR calls them when you get charged for an over limit.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have heard Canadians call "Walleyes", and Sauger "Pickerel" since 1949, or so.

I understand pickerel is a local name or many fish depending on the area.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]

Troll along here in the beginning of June in about 8-10 feet of water with a worm an bottom bouncer, and you'll limit out in Pickerel.

Couple weeks later you'll have better luck where the water drops off from 12' to 18'.

Flyer

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have heard Canadians call "Walleyes", and Sauger "Pickerel" since 1949, or so.

I understand pickerel is a local name or many fish depending on the area.

See my post above yours. The name pickerel isn't just a local name. It is the one from the Ontario Fishing Regulation made pursuant to the Canada Fishing Act.

Trust me on this one. wink

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good afternoon Keith.

I have also read the MNR regulations, and putting Yellow in front may make a lot of difference.

I'll stand by the use of "Pickerel" as meaning different fish different places.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A big difference that we have noticed deals with iced tea. We are used to sweetening it to our taste when it arrives. We have found that up there, a glass is filled with sugar and a couple of teaspoons of tea are then added before it is served. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
As we seem to have drifted away from semantics, I'll add that many of my NW Ontario friends like sugar and whitener in their coffee.
Cream if they can get it, they take their chances with me, milk, or powdered white stuff.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Real men drink their coffee strong, scalding hot and black. wink

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

+1
Only way the Good Lord meant coffee to be drank.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My BIL hails from southern Manitoba. When he says garage, He pronounces it "Gredge" and instead of "eh" it's "uhh"

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Right on!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Real men drink cowboy coffee. Boiling water over camp fire , then throw in handful of coffee, let cool then down the hatch.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
All right men, real that is, on the topic of coffee.
BC30Cal, and other circumstances switched us onto Maxwell House.
The shootest likes his Folgers Black Silk, and we have shared of couple of cups together.

What do you like?
Canada has Nabob, Red Rose, and years back, I bought Edwards at Safeway.
There are some others I'm sure that don't
show up so much in the US.

As a footnote that Black Silk will put hair on your chest, or burn it off!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Smooth as an oil slick, with a robust flavour - no bitter aftertaste.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Keith, you coulda been describing some the gals I used to date, till you came to the after taste. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MJB is my choice for a good cup of coffee.

Perked in a percolater or on the stove; over coals while in the bush.

Can't abide that stuff they call drip coffee....I suffer through it while on the road though.

FWIW I have never seen Red Rose coffee, only tea.

Last edited by troutfly; 02/04/16.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I recall, on the old tea boxes, "Red Rose Coffee is as good as Red Rose Tea".

Tea is another topic?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=wabigoon]I recall, on the old tea boxes, "Red Rose Coffee is as good as Red Rose Tea".

Tea is another topic?

I'm gonna have to look for Red Rose coffee now.
Learn something new everyday. Must be a regional item.

I know when I moved from Alberta to Ontario in 1997 I had to bring MJB coffee with me as it wasn't available in Ont. I brought 4 cases of 1 pound cans with me, lasted till I moved back out West in 2000, I think I had a can or two left.

WRT tea my wife prefers Tetley with Red Rose a close second.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You mean some men actually drink tea? Just being polite to women, I suspect. blush

My mom used to drink Salada tea, and my daughter drinks Lyons tea in Ireland.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Brother, consider having the well water checked for traces of kryptonite again?

We used to make the Red Rose tea by the gallon.
The whole hay making crew drank it iced from the jug.
It cut that alfalfa gum in the mouth better than water.

Troutfly, I'm not sure Red Rose coffee is around anymore.
When you deal with me, remember my brain is somewhat fossilized.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My bear guide in New Brunswick said we were going out past the "hydro line". I was expecting a pipe line, surprised to find it was an elecrical high line. On the subject of coffee , Tim Horton's bought out a local chain of coffee/donut shops. Horton's coffee was damn near undrinkable and their donuts weren't any better. All their local shops closed within a few years. This part of New England is Dunkin Donuts territory.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cariboo;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warm on this last week of January.

I grew up around Yorkton mainly but spent 3½ years in Nipawin too and had family living in spots like Black Lake and Cumberland House - so I too had a pair of moccasins.

We surely did all have the green duck parkas for work - and had the slippery nylon shelled, goose down stuffed parkas made in Zenon Park for school wear.

Other than what's been mentioned, one term that seems to be a Saskatchewan/Alberta term is "boomer" or [b]"load boomer" instead of "chain binder" or "load binder" that they use here in BC.[/b]

Anyway if I think of a few more Canuckisms I'll add them later, but that's all I can muster at present.

All the best to you Cariboo.

Dwayne

Oh Ya, Hoser you COULD expand on that theme,....but I know your busy grinding bear into sausage, and plotting your Spring capers, so's I'll revert to type, and help ya' out.

When ya' hit Kamloops, East bound, you'll grab the "SNIPE", and "Settle Down" yer' "Boomers". Than you'll find some poor damned local to help you get your triple side "Jewelry" snugged up on yer' "Drivers",......Phew,....Tough, "Racket" that. Once you've rested in your sleeper, so's to stay square with the damned "Scale Cops", you'll be off,....just a "Gumbootin'er'" up, through, and over the Rogers Pass, ....and down into Golden.

Keep the shiny side up, Eh ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/05/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Wabigoon

Your post got me more than a bit curious so I did a bit of research into Red Rose Coffee. It seems that the Estabrook Red Rose Tea Co. made coffee in 1901 till sometime in the 40's or 50's. I found some vague references to the coffee and some collectable tins for auction. Seems it just kind of faded away.
Cool topic.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seeing I'm only one generation removed from your "other Province", I'll contribute one.

Made a venison Tourtière last week.My Grandmother's recipe. Easy to make and they hit the spot.
Campfire version....

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That pie looks good!

I have no photo to show, but at least in "my", neck of Ontario, they call chain load binders, "Bear Traps".
I've bought some on yard sales, and they work fine.
Instead of being made of forged steel, they seem to be made more with what I'll call for lack of better knowledge, bar steel.
The "traps", lock over center, (centre), but don't lock with the handle tight to the main body of the binder.
It take longer wire to make the "failsafe" connection.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see bunny hugs were mentioned but did anybody mention a toque? Im heading out for some night predator hunting and I had to get a new toque cause I couldn't find my other one.

It was sweet too, Molson Logo on the toque...

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, the toques were early on, I'm planning on mixing some Red River Cereal.
Cracked rye, cracked wheat, ground flax seed, and whole flax.
I wish I knew the ratio.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry...I missed ( or forgot) the toques.

Anybody from Alberta will enjoy some Cattle Boys on their steak!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
[quote]

Oh Ya, Hoser you COULD expand on that theme,....but I know your busy grinding bear into sausage, and plotting your Spring capers, so's I'll revert to type, and help ya' out.

When ya' hit Kamloops, East bound, you'll grab the "SNIPE", and "Settle Down" yer' "Boomers". Than you'll find some poor damned local to help you get your triple side "Jewelry" snugged up on yer' "Drivers",......Phew,....Tough, "Racket" that. Once you've rested in your sleeper, so's to stay square with the damned "Scale Cops", you'll be off,....just a "Gumbootin'er'" up, through, and over the Rogers Pass, ....and down into Golden.

Keep the shiny side up, Eh ?

GTC

crossfire;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and the canine watchers of your operation doing acceptably well.

Thanks for the grin and fond memories you've twigged for me on this still first Saturday in the second month of the year.

For sure sir I'd have to opine you've "been there and done that" a time or seven if you knew that much local lingo.

"Snipe" when I use it at work still has some BC born and bred guys at work raising their eyebrows in wonder. wink

Being all of 5"6" at my tallest and weighing it at about 140lb in my younger days, I was a "snipe master" if you'd ever met one.

I still recall my elder and larger brother commenting to me one day when we were working on a tractor or implement, "God didn't make you very big Dwayne, so let's hope he made you smart". laugh laugh

Should note I had a chunk of Schedule 80 sorta tubing about 7' long I used when knocking the 18' breaking disc gangs apart crossfire....

Anyway sir, as always it's been a pleasure and thanks again.

Actually as an aside, there's no bear to grind this year, but a few dead standing Ponderosas that are too close to the house need to come down - already limbed and topped so the hard part is done.

That and I'm working over a vintage Lakefield Mossberg 500AB for our eldest as a tenting companion as she's carrying on the family tradition of camping in bear infested spots - like there are some which aren't in our fair province.....but anyway this thing is turning out to run slicker than an Okanagan road in winter. grin

Oh, since you're an expat and all, Happy BC Family Day long weekend to you too - it's a new one they gave us working stiffs a couple years back which originated in Alberta I think???

All the best to you crossfire and thanks again.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Comes to mind, the notion that in Canada, all folks from the US, are "Yanks", or Yankees.
Now if one is from the south US, that strikes as bit odd.

In the States, only people from New England, and close by are "Yankees"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sched 80 snipe X 8 ' long seems to fall into my general approach to either breaking sockets or wringin' bolt heads right off.

Anything lighter or shorter is worth "Sweet Bugger All".

grin

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Sched 80 snipe X 8 ' long seems to fall into my general approach to either breaking sockets or wringin' bolt heads right off.

Anything lighter or shorter is worth "Sweet Bugger All".

grin

GTC

crossfire;
laugh laugh laugh

Exactly sir!

That would indeed be all it'd be worth. wink

Again you show your ability to speak the lingo of the west sir - the north of the medicine line west that I've existed in for half a century anyway.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry...I missed ( or forgot) the toques.

Anybody from Alberta will enjoy some Cattle Boys on their steak!

Had some on my elk steak tonight, warm enough today to fire up the bbq....should have taken a picture or three but it smelled oh so good I couldn't help myself!

Goes pretty darn good on Alberta Beef too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not much is more "Canuck" than C-I-L bullets like the .270 160 grain Kling Kore Soft Point & .30 calibre Sabre Tips

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 02/07/16.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This may fit in somewhere. [Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to let that one slide. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once called an American a Yank on a forum, he was couple of pages of unhappy.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I could make a wee tad bit of a joke, and say, it took five years before I realized "Bloody", and "Yank", were two different words.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My cousin got a bit sideways with one of his grade-school teachers because he honestly thought that "damned" and "Democrats" were one word.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I could make a wee tad bit of a joke, and say, it took five years before I realized "Bloody", and "Yank", were two different words.

I would never call you that - - - - - - unless the brisket hash dries up. wink

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good mornin' Keith, it has been some time since we enjoyed the corned beef hash, and eggs together.

Someday soon----!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Comes to mind, the notion that in Canada, all folks from the US, are "Yanks", or Yankees.
Now if one is from the south US, that strikes as bit odd.

In the States, only people from New England, and close by are "Yankees"

The term I'm familiar with is "You-alls"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The term "Beaner" as in pork and beaner has also been used for the variety of US visitors to our lakes and streams who buy nothing in Canada other than their fishing licence, and bring everything other than their minnows with them. They call that supporting our economy.

Thankfully they are not all like that. Around these parts we get some wealthy Iowa farmers that are also land owners here. Good bunch of folks by and large.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now, the old joke comes to mind.

This Iowa farmer wears his bib overalls to Canada on a two week fishing trip, with a hundred dollar bill in a front pocket and doesn't change either the entire trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every vacationing american I've ever met here were always nice people. I don't expect them to spend all their money here will on holidays, but it would be good for our economy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
little late to the game here ,did not read the whole thred yet but,,

swamp donkies aka moose south of the line.

in B.C. drain rock , Alberta tile rock

in B.C. logging trucks haul logs ,in Alerta they can haul logs or be wire line units in the oil patch.

in B.C. tandem gravel truck Alberta body job.
norm

Last edited by norm99; 02/18/16.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guided many American hunters 15-20 years ago. All good woodsman and safe with firearms and great shooters seldom missing game. Some did't know how how to start a fire in -30 winter , but when they learned how never forgot. They always laughed at the word tuque. For them it was head stocking, go figure.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Learned a new one the other day. Well, not a new word but found out it is Canadian. Might be even more local than that, might just be a BC word.
Navvy Jack is the mix of small stones/ gravel used in making concrete. Pronounced with a short "a" like in navigation.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S

Navvy Jack is the mix of small stones/ gravel used in making concrete.

With the easy access to redimix concrete these days Navvy Jack is not as popular as it was several decades ago. Most often today it is used in handyman type projects rather than being site-batched for large foundations.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I tried to order a rye and Coke in a bar somewhere in southern US one time, can't remember where. Anyway, the bartender just gave me a blank stare. I said it louder, stare got blanker...finally figured out that if you order Crown and Coke, they can help you out!

Poutine is indeed better than it sounds. Ontario was a bit different than Alberta, Ontario we called pike Northerns or just pike, Alberta its usually Jack or some other slang. Swamp donkey or ditch donkey for moose. I didn't know boomers had a different name..Yankee's start south of the border...(I know better now)...a toque is the right and proper term...we measure fuel economy in litres per 100km, but I prefer mpg..remember ordering my first iced tea down south and thinking wtf is this? Was about to send it back till my brother told me what was going on. I thought all the waitresses were overcome by my rugged Canadian handsomeness till I realized they call everyone by some pet name..that was a bit disappointing.

American cigarettes smell like weed, and taste like dried cow dung. You can't get a good chicken fried steak in Canada, that I've found, and nowhere near the good gravy either. My brother used to drink the gravy after finishing his biscuit. Better food south of the border in general, for certain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Especially the gambling casinos on Indian reserves. Best feed ever had and econo, Don't past them by, i always stop there but never gamble.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Chesterfield, sofa, washroom, bathroom.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just learned today what a 'double double 'is.... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well on the first weekend in March.

So if you've just found out about a "double double", were you on this side of the medicine line and did you remember to "roll up the rim to win" ? grin

It's sorta a Canadian tradition this time of year or most surely is in our part of BC.

The city where we work and our girls went to school is something like 32,000 people and there are 4 Tim's shops - and always a line up if they're open. It's a license to print money up here I tell you.... funny coloured money of course and it's only worth $ .75, but still... laugh

All the best to you folks this weekend ingwe.

Dwayne

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, I stopped at a Tims last year for the first time....it wasn't at all what I expected. Kinda like a Canadian Starbucks....

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
That double.double, you learned about, was that from spending time in the basement...LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, those are double-d down there. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ingwe,

Canada has Starbucks too. Tim's coffee is bad, but Starbuck's is worse! wink

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... there are 4 Tim's shops - and always a line up if they're open. It's a license to print money up here I tell you.... funny coloured money of course and it's only worth $ .75, but still ... Dwayne

Dwayne, the only Tim's with which I am familiar is the one in Dryden, at which we stop when visiting your beautiful country. I very much like the pastries and the coffe. I am not sure if all of the properties are set up the same, but from my experience at this one, the thing that I find most impressive is the design of the traffic "flow" entering and exiting the property. If a person were to set out to design a parking lot/drive-through that was intended to mimic an old-time fish trap, he could not do better than follow this lay-out. I am quite sure that there are many vehicles that will be abandoned there as the owners eventually give up and walk away.
Best, John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
Thanks for the reply John, I trust this finds you and yours well.

It's heartening for me to hear that the Tim's franchise sticks to a set pattern or at very least objective in the drive through design.

In the small city mentioned - Penticton, BC - the Tim's drive through set ups have at least two, if not three ways of entering the parking lot/drive through area.

These are set up at oblique angles and with tight enough turning radii - yes plural - that it's a trick to maneuver them in our short box full size 4x4 pickup. In the work truck I'm often in - an F450 full crew cab with a 12' deck - well you don't even try....

Oh and if it's early and only the takeout window is open, they won't serve you on foot - even if you point to the parking lot and show them that you're there with said F450 and towing a 24' tilt deck trailer...... no, no rules are rules you see..... frown

So the layout favors a smart car sized vehicle, but of course the take out window is placed in a sufficiently lofty position that you can't reach your coffee in said little commuter car without unbuckling the seat belt and stretching upward for your dose of Canuck caffeine.

Lastly and perhaps I shouldn't even post this on public forum as it may well be considered treasonous - but I prefer McDonald's coffee if I'm buying coffee, which I rarely do.

Anyway sir thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks this Sunday.

Dwayne

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Don't forget Dominion Ammo... And remember when the saying was: Do you know what I mean...? Someone told me it was a common jail term...lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive not rad all the posts on this. But I believe that it is a little know. Fact that the spelling of Canada is a gross misunderstanding.
It was supposed to be Cnd, but it came across wrong.
The way they originally spoke the spellng was:

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ive not rad all the posts on this. But I believe that it is a little know. Fact that the spelling of Canada is a gross misunderstanding.

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I thought it was spelled C (eh)N(eh)D(eh)....

I gotta get this right cause Im going back up there in August....might be cool enough in the evening by then to need a bunny hug...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gee, I'm just going by a notable authority, but he may have mispronounced the 'eh'.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
35 years ago I lived in BC for a few years, and there are terms that are uniquely Canadian that I still use once in a awhile.

Some people look at me funny, and others know what I'm speaking about.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just checked on provisions for this years trip to fish for pike.

Rickards Red is available in bottles.

Good to go! laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bugger

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I thought it was spelled C (eh)N(eh)D(eh)....

I gotta get this right cause Im going back up there in August....might be cool enough in the evening by then to need a bunny hug...

Your spelling is correct, yer Poobahness!

The pronunciation is a lot different than most 'Murricans can handle, though.

I'm booked to hunt bear in northern Alberta in a couple months, and after I talked to the outfitter a couple weeks ago I slipped into my northern Alberta accent sort of by accident, and cracked up The Redhead and her son. They're not used to it by a long shot!

You have to talk a lot faster, and put a lot more lilt in yer lingo up there. I lived most of my life in Southern Alberta (Calgary), so my "accent" was/is similar to an American Midwesterner's speech. But I spent enough time up nort' to become fluent in northernspeak... to my ear, it sounds pretty much the same from Ft. St. John all the way across PA (Prince Albert), to Flin Flon, and into Northern Ontario. Now that my ear and my tongue are more accustomed to the slower speech of my fellow Texicans, the northern accent is really noticeable to me. Sounds a lot more Newf than I realized!

So practice yer speech, Poobs, when you go up there fishin' fer pickerel and jacks. You don't want to be mistaken for a noob.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, I stopped at a Tims last year for the first time....it wasn't at all what I expected. Kinda like a Canadian Starbucks....

Tim Horton's seems to have some regional variation in franchise quality. In Ontario and Alberta, they used to be damn good donut shops. Good coffee, and donuts so good that Krispy Kreme actually copied them, I'm told. We had Timbits (donut holes) and coffee in Banff last summer and they were as delicious as I remembered.

Nother thing that's different is what they call different brands of beers. Rickards Red used to be one of my favorites, but Big Rock Traditional (Trad) ruled the roost in southern Alberta. Labatt's Blue is called "Pil" everywhere but Alberta, where "Pil" was reserved for Lethbridge Pilsner, a label that Molson's took over. Canadian is called Canadian everywhere. And O'Keefe's Extra Old stock (7% alcohol) was always Hi-Test. Dunno what they call anything nowadays, though. You guys still livin' nort' of the Medicine Line will have to weigh in here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocRocket

So practice yer speech, Poobs, when you go up there fishin' fer pickerel and jacks. You don't want to be mistaken for a noob.

The main thing Ive noticed and need to work on is an upward lilt to the voice at the end of each sentence, as if each one were a question....

And we won't be fishing for pickerel, just jackfish eh! grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always giggle under my breath every time I'm in Canada. Can't say I've ever had a bad time there, but they sure do talk funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would go live in Calgary again in a heartbeat. I might be without wife though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now, the old joke comes to mind.

This Iowa farmer wears his bib overalls to Canada on a two week fishing trip, with a hundred dollar bill in a front pocket and doesn't change either the entire trip.

Wabigon, you're referring to the common "Striped Whistler," a farmer from Iowa in his pin striped coveralls. He wonders into a shop in one of the provinces, sees an item he likes, and asks, "how much is this?" The clerk answers and the SW whistles loudly and goes, "kinda high aint' it?"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I would go live in Calgary again in a heartbeat. I might be without wife though.

Ha! That would definitely affect one's decision-making.

I wouldn't though, despite living there from age 7 until age 42, with a couple brief hiatuses in northern Alberta. Calgary has grown enormously, and I just don't care for big cities at all any more. It's not the same town I grew up in, and hasn't been for a long time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greg_S
Pea-meal Bacon is Pea-meal Bacon and is indeed back bacon inside the pea-meal. I was told by Ontarioian that it is as Canadian as could be but had NEVER heard of it out west. Had it/saw it for the first time in my mid fifties on a visit to Ontario.

We use to call is "chicken feed bacon" in our family.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe,

Canada has Starbucks too. Tim's coffee is bad, but Starbuck's is worse! wink

Micky D's is better than both. Small coffee and a muffin for under $2.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.