24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm wanting a red dot optic for my 22lr plinkers. I have & can add a picatinny rail if necessary. I kind of want an Aimpoint but I'm open to any & all suggestions. I have old eyes so I don't want a piece of junk that's not clear. Thanks for any comments.
JD

"POWDER RIVER AND LET 'ER BUCK"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For $200 you can get a Vortex Sparc II that's got a 2-minute dot, auto shutoff and a lifetime warranty, rare on red dots. Mine's been on a .357, an airgun, and now rides on a .270 Mauser. You'd be surprised how well you can shoot with one of these. It mounts on a pic rail or a square-notch Weaver base. The Aimpoints are great, but the cheapest price I can find one for is more than 2X the price of the Sparc.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you have SWFA price match Natches on the Redfield Accelerator, you'll be OTD for about $110.

I don't have any experience, but I'm thinking Bout trying it out for tags price. Auto off, lifetime warrant as well. Only negative for your application is a larger dot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had very good luck with the primary arms micro red dot.

It's an aimpoint micro clone and while by no means a ampoint, I've found it plenty good for a 22 and it's held up well

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-micro-dot-with-fixed-base-md-fbgii/p/kt-md-fbgii/

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Try an UltraDot. About $250, they work well, they are tough and have a good track record.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a Burris fast fire that huntsman posted, and I'll second that suggestion. I've had them on 12 gauge turkey guns, and a .44 revolver. They take the abuse, hold zero, and keep on working. Yep, that's my vote.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonesouth
I'm wanting a red dot optic for my 22lr plinkers. I have & can add a picatinny rail if necessary. I kind of want an Aimpoint but I'm open to any & all suggestions. I have old eyes so I don't want a piece of junk that's not clear. Thanks for any comments.
JD

"POWDER RIVER AND LET 'ER BUCK"

I need weak cheaters to get a really clear view with red dots (scopes can adjust enough, so far), but in a pinch, I can do without them. Whatever glasses you wear for distance vision should be fine with red dots.

I also have an older Burris Fastfire that works very well and is lighter and neater in appearance. It's a bit of a pain to adjust and has to be removed from the base to change the battery. Newer Fastfires have the battery compartment on top. The choice between reflex and tube-type depends on your taste and the type of firearm. The Sparc comes with mount risers that let you adjust the height.

If you want to try out the dot sight concept without investing a bunch of money, Amazon sells a relex sight for about $20 that offers red and green aiming points. Mine is mounted on my Crosman 1322 carbine. It's not weather-tight (you can see parts of the circuitry), but the dots are clear and so far it's held up. They sell gazillions of them and based on the reviews, people love 'em.

We want pictures of your rig when assembled.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/11/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for the Fastfire...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
By golly, ya'll are just what I needed to give me a push. Heck I wound up buying a Primary Arms, they are 40 minutes from me, and a Fastfire. Thanks,
JD

"walk tall and carry a big stick"
(or a .45)

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a fan of the Ultradot as well. Depending upon the model, you can find them from $150 to $250 or so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have some sort of red dot sight on a Colt Stagecoach Carbine because the Colt is so small that almost no scope is a proportional fit. I'm not a fan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a FF3 on a Charger that is an absolute hoot to shoot. But, if in rain for long the emitter can get covered with water... same as any reflex sight of this style. Tube-type have the emitter inside a tube. Burris does include a snap-on cover for the FF though.

Advantages and disadvantages to this style vs. a tube type reflex. The only tube-type I've owned were T1 and H1 Aimpoints.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have some sort of red dot sight on a Colt Stagecoach Carbine because the Colt is so small that almost no scope is a proportional fit. I'm not a fan.

Some guy just started importing a Chinese copy of the old Redfield 3/4" rimfire scope for about $120. Also sells mounts. If you're interested, I'll dig up the info.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have been testing a Bushnell TRS-25. First saw one on a AR at my club. The owner was gushing on it and let me play with it. It were't bad. Don't have a lot of time spent with it yet but it seems to be worth it's price point. No real tracking to speak of. Mostly trial and error to zero. But once set, it seems to hold it OK. It is a micro red dot and will not run over a .22LR. No surprise it is hecho in Chine but what isn't these days. Ain't no Aimpoint but then, it hardly cost more than a brick of .22LRs these days.

Check out the reviews on Amazon.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had a Bushnell Trophy for several years. Small dot, medium dot and circle dot all shoot to the same POI. Change to the crossbar and I have to re zero it. Otherwise it does fine. I don't recall tracking, but zero was not difficult.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Vortex Sparc II, second vote... Hard to argue with the facts about this little gem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
457 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.