Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have owned both the First Lite Uncompahgre and the KUIU Kenai, here is my take on both. The Uncompahgre has the more durable shell, it is more water resistant, and is definitaly more wind resistant. The Kenai is quieter (bow hunting quiet), breathes a lot better, and the pit zips are a big plus for dumping heat when you are working up a sweat. I had zipper snagging issues on the 2 older Uncompahgre's that I owned, my arms would also get colder quicker than my core due to less insulation on the arms. The Kenai will be less durable in thick brush/branches/thorns, etc. The Kenai is so breathable you will need to wear a shell if there is a cold wind blowing or if it is sprinkling. I think the Uncompahgre is the warmer of the 2 if a cold wind is blowing. I think the Kenai is the warmer of the 2 if worn under a shell. I am 5'8", 180 lbs,and 44" chest. The large Uncompahgre allowed me to wear an additional light fleece layer underneath (I use a Patagonia R2 if it is really cold and I need more warmth), I need an x-large to do the same with the Kenai and it still fits a tad smaller than the Umcompahgre. They are both good choices, for my type of hiking/hunting I prefer the Kenai, your needs may be different.

Last edited by LkHntr; 01/25/16.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LkHntr: Good description! I have both and they are new to me,but have been wearing them in temps to low 20's here the past week or so.

The Kenai is light enough, and the Unc is cut full enough, that I use them both and layer the Kenai under the Unc. Managed to stay plenty warm goofing off at the range and shooting.

What I like is both are light enough to tote about anywhere.They are like wearing nothing they are so lightweight.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used my Unc.this year first season elk in Colorado and last season in Montana. Temperatures ranged from the 50's to below zero. When it was really cold a fleece hoody under the puffy kept me nice and tosty. On warmer days some times a T shirt or long sleeved shirt.

A really versatile jacket.

Lefty C

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
BobinNH,

Yes they are both good choices. I switched form my Filson wool liner because they are a lot lighter, and pack a lot smaller. Add a light fleece under, and/or a waterproof shell over, and you have some serious flexibility.

Last edited by LkHntr; 01/25/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by starsky
First Lite Uncompahgre jacket kicks ass.

Love mine. Always in the pack for sitting/glassing between walks, or if the temp drops. Very lightweight and packable, but is seriously warm for its bulk.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've made 4 trips to The CO high country with my Marmot Zeuss. It is one of my very favorite pieces of gear. Warmth to weight is fantastic.

S
S
I know this is not considered a puffer jacket but want to see if in your opinions this jacket would be worth listing in the classifieds here.

Back in the early 1980's I bought an original Eddie Bauer 100% prime northern goose down Aviation jacket for a dall sheep hunt in Alaska. Also splurged and got an Eddie Bauer goose down Dickie at the same time. Some of you may remember these items and I could post photos. Both of these items have had minimal use and look new...size extra large. Anyhow, my August-September dall sheep, moose, caribou hunt took place during an unusually warm fall and they did not see any field use. These are quality items that you would not find in E.B.'s today.

I've just turned 74 and my use for these items is nil. I've been a long time lurker on this web site and am thinking about "thinning the vault" of some guns and equipment. I was thinking about ebay (but I hate that company)and a local SLC gun website.

Would appreciate any suggestions or opinions. TIA

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.