Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking at picking up a new set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. I've had a set of Forster screwdrivers for years that I have used, but I keep running into situations where they are quite right for the application. What's the general consensus on the Wheeler Deluxe gunsmithing screwdriver set? Any better options?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy screwdrivers at garage sales.
Clean off the paint and rust.
Grind the tip into gunsmithing shape.

That was the plan.
Now I have too many screwdrivers, so at the bench there are only a couple. The rest are in drawers across the shop with giant labels; "Screwdrivers" "Large ScrewDrivers" "Small Screwdrivers" " Phillips Screwdrivers" "1/8" Hex drive"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Brownells Magana tips, they will fit any screw, if not grind to fit, and they will replace if broken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
Brownells Magana tips, they will fit any screw, if not grind to fit, and they will replace if broken.

and nobody has ever said the magna tips were not worth it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a set of the Forester screw drivers a few years ago and the first time I used two of them, the tips split right off. In one case mangling the work piece. Neither was being abused in any way, both were being used on mount screws. They are way too brittle. I couldn't be more disappointed and have no faith that they won't damage anything they are used on.

I'm back to using bits made by Apex.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Brownells Magna-Tip Field & Bench Tray Combo #080-104-000

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Buy screwdrivers at garage sales.
Clean off the paint and rust.
Grind the tip into gunsmithing shape.

That was the plan.
Now I have too many screwdrivers, so at the bench there are only a couple. The rest are in drawers across the shop with giant labels; "Screwdrivers" "Large ScrewDrivers" "Small Screwdrivers" " Phillips Screwdrivers" "1/8" Hex drive"

Sounds like you need to switch to 55gal. drums for screwdriver storage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

~ 30 handled screwdrivers can be accessed in a drawer.
~300 1/8" hex drive tips can be accessed in a drawer.

There are two or three screwdrivers at:
1) work bench
2) desk
3) reloading room
4) vehicle

Unless it is a tough screwdriver job, 90% of the time no one visits the drawers. They make do with the 2 or 3 screwdrivers that are within reach.

Same thing goes for chisels, hammers, wrenches, saws, hand planes, end mills, calipers, etc. It does not matter how many you have, the few within reach are what get used.

I would imagine the same thing for Clinton and his girl friends.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey now, I spy a few turn screws in the top drawer...

And, what's with all the labels? Is someone learning how to spell or can't you remember what's in your drawers?

Last edited by kingston; 01/28/16.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a the bigger brownells magna-tip kit and it's a lifetime guarantee...

Plus a hell of a lot smaller than 3 draws of screw drivers

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have the big wheeler set.i've broken a few and the rubber coating on the handle came off. mine see alot of use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Began with the basic brownells magna-tip set, and building up the set as needed and keeping it organized in one of their bench blocks has served really, really well. The tips are high quality but inexpensive - if I need to grind one, grind it and order a fresh one. And they fit the driver handle w/ very little slop for a nice solid driver.

Now when first started playing home gunsmith, tried the Wheeler kit hoping to save some on cost. Granted it was still about $90, but other sets were more still. The very first time I used it, bent/broke two tips. Sent it right back.

To be fair to Wheeler, their little FAT torque wrench has soldiered on well over time.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not so hard core in my needs but I've used Chapman sets for years.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use 1/4" drive insert bits. Have the full range of the brownells ones, plus I have many, many more that I've picked up and modified over the years. I use a Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver with magnetic shaft to hold them. Expensive, but the best. After having my first one for approaching 30 years, it really seems like a good investment at about $2 per year.

Buy good bits. Zephyr are about the best, you can get them from Mcmaster.com, they don't tell you, but they're zephyr bits they sell. Zephyr makes the Browells ones.

Apex bits are pretty good also.

Just grind and sand your bits to what you need. It's hard to find a custom made set that works well. The quality of the sets you get from Midway are not up to long, hard use.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a set of Grace's that have performed fine for many, many years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Buggering up a screw head makes the gun look like crap really fast.

That's why I went with the Brownells magma tip kit... It seems that the kit always has exactly the right insert for what I'm trying to do with my gear.

I didn't hurt that - we used those in gun smithing class as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had a set from chapman for many years works great!

Ed

C
C
I have Wheeler and really like them. I think Phillips head breed in dark drawers.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a set of Pachmayr once, complete junk! They would break if you looked at them wrong.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cooksey
I have Wheeler and really like them.
You'll like them until they start to break.

The Wheeler sets I've seen are all brittle and busting a tip isn't uncommon. I wouldn't bother with them again.

That said, the brownells set is nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.