Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Would Wyoming's Big Horn mountains be any good for spring spot-stalk black bear?

How difficult?

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I took my son backpacking there in 13 and saw a lot of sign. Crumby thing was that we were scouting mule deer & elk so as non-residents we had to stick to non-wilderness areas which seemed heavily roaded & developed.

The mountains are very rocky & treacherous; it'd be interesting to see them in the spring!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
While I personally haven't hunted there for bear, I know several people who have (though they were baiting) and they were quite successful. Spot and stalk,I really can't say,but the Big Horns appear to have a pretty solid bear population. Another area that I would strongly consider would be the Grass Creek area north of Thermopolis, however you will probably see as many grizzlies as blacks! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/17/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt elk on Grass Creek and have never seen a bear, but I have been told that there are lots. I would not use a predator call, for sure, as there are lots of griz there and they seem to be pretty aggressive from what informed sources tell me.

I hunt late, so they are asleep when I am there.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
sbhooper, About 5 seasons ago we saw several black bear,one of which my wife killed. And,we've seen a couple when riding our Polaris Ranger during the spring. At that time there were quite a few grizzlies as well.Every hunting season we see grizzly as well as wolf tracks. I understand that the g&f dept. has removed some grizzlies from the area,but there are still a few around. memtb

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by memtb
sbhooper, About 5 seasons ago we saw several black bear,one of which my wife killed. And,we've seen a couple when riding our Polaris Ranger during the spring. At that time there were quite a few grizzlies as well.Every hunting season we see grizzly as well as wolf tracks. I understand that the g&f dept. has removed some grizzlies from the area,but there are still a few around. memtb

Pm sent.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunted Grass Creek area again this past year (elk). Saw black bear, a probable griz, and wolf. A friend had a couple close griz encounters in the lower part of Grass Creek. They are all still there. If you hunt black bear in there you need to be able to tell the difference, and also be prepared for griz encounters in there. I did not hear that G&F moved any out, but there are still plenty judging by sign.

I have seen black bears on high meadows between Cody and Pahaska Teepee in spring, but there, too you have griz to consider.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Based on years ago backpacking annually through the Big Horns and having a cabin in Story I can tell you the bear population has increased markedly in the last few years. Bears are pests in town now. I would call the Sheridan and Buffalo Game and Fish office as I have found them to be helpful and do not believe they would steer you wrong. Bears in town are a difficult issue for them due to the only safe method to deal with the bear (thanks lawyers) is to euthanize which is not popular with lots of folks.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the info. I would only want to go to the Big Horns as far as driving to them.

Do you think the black bears would be in non-wilderness areas? I would be trying a DIY hunt.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
bump

Might have a friend that wants to go too. Anymore info on the Big Horns for spring bear?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

517 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,232
Posts18,447,753
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.