Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking especially at a 6'0 Light, of possible up go 6'6" or so in a ML. Reel - either a 8225 or 8230 Pflueger Surpreme MG I already own. Bulk with be 6/8# line respectively if Mono/FC, or 10/15 when Braid.

Thoughts on the top brands above?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BR one of the best buys in a spinning rod is the BPS graphite spining rod. I would buy the 6"6'. It runs just under $100 but worth every penny. Get the medium light or light...probably the ML. I don' know the # but it's their IM6 Bionic Blade. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 12/17/15.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I've been using a 6'9 Carbonlite ML, meshes well with the 8230, but wanting something a tad shorter, handled some today. Also just read a few reviews, seems the new white ones may not be the same as the old black ones like mine. The older ones did have a rap early on for breaking tips. Never broke mine in use. The 6.0 L did feel pretty good, but the tip may not be quite as snappy and sensitive as my black 6'9.

I have 2 Clarus, in 5.0 and 5'6 that are really sweet UL, they feel more like a light. Run well with the 20 and 25 series.

Local BPS stopped carrying the Clarus and TFO and no Triumph's.

Hammering bass the other day in the 1-4# range, so UL and L are plenty, and a ML is not out of place especially for throwing heavier lures.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Okuma SST.
I spent weeks going to every shop around, willing to spend 100 maybe 125.
Picked the best rod I found, it was only 50

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not the brands you asked about but what powdr said about the 6'6" ML BPS graphite spinning rods. Either the Bionic or Extreme are a good buy for under $100. I can't speak for the newer ones but I've got two of the Extreme models I bought in 1997 that have been used a lot with no problems.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The (new) clarus rods aren't as good as the the old ones. They now put really crap guides on them. Check the StCroix panfish series. Good guides, great actions and the price is pretty good considering the quality. The 7' light is a extra fast and is soft with lots of backbone. The 6'9 " is a ultralight and my friend has one, nice but I like the 7' light better. Can't comment on the others in the series.

Fenwick hmg and elite tech walleye rods are sweet. I have a 6'6" medium light fast action, love it. Tip is soft enuff for hefty Gill but it can handle bass too, really versitile rod.

Last edited by seal_billy; 12/18/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, thanks guys. Great info thanks.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I would go St. Croix premiere. Made in USA for a few bucks more than Triumph.

St croix ml is where its at if your looking to fish bass and would be pretty versatile the light would be good for trout and panfish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few St Croix, very nice rods, a bit spendy, but very well made. I also use redbone rods now. Maybe they are more an inshore saltwater rod, but with near identical feel and quality to the St Croix, and I cannot honestly tell them apart when fishing. For about 1/2 the price

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd echo what was said about the new Clarus rods. I've always been a die hard Shimano fan, but recent rods have had issues and the warranty/service hasn't been what it once was.

My son picked up a Quantum Smoke, which has been good for him. His is a medium 6'3" one piece, which feels a little light. I picked up an Okuma Deadeye rod for walleye jigging and it seems good the few times I've used it. It has a good warranty as well and the price is reasonable.

Based on the choices you listed I would probably look at St. Croix. I heard that Gary Loomis went to TFO after Shimano bought G Loomis, but I haven't handled any of the new TFO rods to comment on the quality.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info all - thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you like Shimano, take a peek at the G. Loomis line of rods. The TSR 7'2 4-8 is a heck of a finesse rod but I wouldn't use it anywhere a fish could get wrapped up in anything.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks much Sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing about the Clarus was the over counter lifetime warranty. They've done away with it.

I'd take a flyer on the TFO. Never used one, but they look pretty nice.

Hard to beat Loomis if you want to drop the coin.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agree on those points. Loomis has a lower priced rod around 180 and Shimano has some new ones that seem nice, but they only have heavier models at our Bass Pro.

Anyone used the Browning Air Stream spinning rods? They have a good feel overall, the 5.5 and 6' - unique handle as well.

Not sure if a 2-piece gives up any sensitivity - comments on that?

I do own a 5 and 5.5 Clarus UL - both feel more like a Light, enough spine for larger fish, I like them. Also picked up a 6.0 Light in TFO like it as well.

Believe my next rods I will try are the St. Croix, perhaps a lower end Loomis, and may handle some Fenwicks when I get to a Cabela's. Pretty well covered for now but will have extra's for my boys when they can go.

Appreciate the feedback. Good info above by all, I will review again before my next trip to a Cabela's, for now my area only has a Bass Pro.

Thanks again.

Oh, my Pfluegers are much liked, President and Supreme MG, but looking at Shimano's just for curiosity, and wondering if they are worth the extra $$$. The newest model Stradic FK 1000 and 2500 look very nice. Good reviews. The 1000 has a 6 or 6.2 ratio, not common in a reel that size. Might be interesting. Pricey....thought they were made in Japan but looked on the box and it's Malaysia for this model. Must be the Stella's etc made in Japan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Pflueger Supreme XT 30-size that I thought was a decent reel until I hooked a decent-sized steelhead that took off down river like a shot. The spool clicker assembly located in the spool basically disintegrated. This is the part that "zings" when line is being run off against the drag.

It's hard to fight a steelhead on 6 lb. test leader without being able to hear the drag going out. Reeling against the drag is a no-no, and it sucked having to look at the spool instead of the fish during the fight.

I have two Shimano Stradic FJ 2500s that have fought similar-sized steelhead and have held up well. Had I not used the Pflueger for steelhead, it would probably hold up for my lifetime. The reel has been redesigned, and the original spool clicker part is no longer available. I ordered one of the newer parts hoping that it would work, and it doesn't.

A pic of the offender. The net's hoop, excluding handle, measures 23" long:

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.