-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A while back I went to a gun show looking for a shooter p64 FWT '06. Haven't messed with an '06 in quite a while and had the bug.

No pre64's at the show, but there was a M70 '06 made in 1964. It was priced "right" so, on a whim, I took it home.

Yes, it's ugly, you could file papers in the gap between the barrel and the stock, and it felt clumsy.

Anyway, I had some old 150gr Sierra's on the shelf and some 4064. The dang thing is a tack driver. And it drops deer quite nicely.

The problem is now I'm starting to really like the rifle. It no longer feels clumsy to me, and I am even beginning to think it looks nice!! confused

I think I may need counselling....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Functionally there's nothing wrong with post 64 rifles. I personally believe they are a superior design to a Remington 700 when it comes to push feed actions.

I think early post 64's in 225 Winchester are pretty collectable because they are so accurate.

you get a chance post a few pics we could maybe start a thread of the evolution of the post 64 in pics.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
A while back I went to a gun show looking for a shooter p64 FWT '06. Haven't messed with an '06 in quite a while and had the bug.

No pre64's at the show, but there was a M70 '06 made in 1964. It was priced "right" so, on a whim, I took it home.

Yes, it's ugly, you could file papers in the gap between the barrel and the stock, and it felt clumsy.

Anyway, I had some old 150gr Sierra's on the shelf and some 4064. The dang thing is a tack driver. And it drops deer quite nicely.

The problem is now I'm starting to really like the rifle. It no longer feels clumsy to me, and I am even beginning to think it looks nice!! confused

I think I may need counselling....

A buddy of mine has one that was made in 1964 and you just described his to a T... His is a tack driver too... The first time I saw the gap in between the barrel and stock, I said damn and he said it has a generous freefloat doesn't it??? laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh gosh. There is a thread over in the Hunting Rifle section where they are actually denigrating my 1964 M70 (imagine that!).

I think I'm getting my feelers hurt! grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Screw those other guys in the hunting rifle forum. Some of them don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good idea. And I can always just wear a sack over my head when I take it hunting!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Screw those other guys in the hunting rifle forum. Some of them don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground...

Anything that isn't brandy new and $4-5K is a POS.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Does your rifle have the plastic insert in the grip cap that bears a red "W"? If so, my God, how can you possibly stand the look of it?

My friend bought one made in 1965 in excellent condition. After firing 6 boxes of 30-06 shells through it, the walnut stock cracked right behind the rear receiver screw and split all the way to the rear of the grip.

After he paid to put a replacement stock on it, he shot it a few more times, and the bolt shroud on the rear of the bolt fell off. Turns out, it was only held on with a cross pin, that was peened. He had to get a new cross pin and have a gunsmith peen and fit it to get the shroud back on.

After that, disgusted that he had spent over $150 on a rifle that he had only paid $200 for, he got rid of it.

Before getting rid of it, he pried the plastic fitting off of the grip cap, to get rid of the red "W", and replaced the flat head screw holding the aluminum grip cap on with a blued round headed screw. It was the only way he could get someone to buy the darned thing from him.

Mannyrock

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about your friends problems. Yes, the red "W" is there. Kinda adds to the ugly. As long as she shoots the way she has been, it don't bother me at all. But I promise not to take the rifle out in the daylight, if it makes you feel better. 😀

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What is the most interesting to me is that back in 1964, the wiz-kids at Winchester actually thought that that red plastic "W" made the rifle look snazzy!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No accounting for taste.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mannyrock
What is the most interesting to me is that back in 1964, the wiz-kids at Winchester actually thought that that red plastic "W" made the rifle look snazzy!

Those guys were idiots back then. It took them 16-17 years to bring the fwt back too. That should tell you guys something...

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.