Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
All these TV shows show the hunter approaching the downed animal at the head, holding the rifle in one hand and pokes it in the face with the rifle barrel. If that animal would jerk it's head up it could very likely knock the rifle out of the hunters hand and/or break fingers or the wrist. Wouldn't it make more sense to approach from the rear, above the back enough to avoid rearward kicks, holding the rifle in both hands and shake the animal with your foot and be ready for another shot if needed?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I touch a eye with the muzzle, if the eye fails to react, the animal's dead.
If the eye does react, I fire.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I always get a kick out of those genius's that have to poke everything in the butt with a rifle barrel. My boys always howl with laughter when they do it. Just once, I would like to see a deer jump up when they do it. That would be a hoot! If you can't tell if something is dead,maybe you should go fishing instead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TV shows

They have already been to this dead animal, and are recreating finding him for the audience.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I generally take a minute or two to stand a few yards from the animal, if I see any breathing I put in a finishing shot.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BLAM!!!!!!!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Tim_B
I generally take a minute or two to stand a few yards from the animal, if I see any breathing I put in a finishing shot.

Screw the "dead" part. Anything big (like a moose) gets another one anyway from a few yards out.. And from the back.

No need to ask how I learned this.

Twice! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always have my trusty partner Huntsman22 circle upwind, while I cautiously approach from downwind, checking carefully for any signs that the animal might still be alive. Just as I approach within earshot, I hear this:

Originally Posted by huntsman22
BLAM!!!!!!!

Never fails.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by atse
I always get a kick out of those genius's that have to poke everything in the butt with a rifle barrel. My boys always howl with laughter when they do it. Just once, I would like to see a deer jump up when they do it. That would be a hoot! If you can't tell if something is dead,maybe you should go fishing instead.

Being smug can get you hurt eventually..... being smart, well its smart...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have aformer student that to this day bears the scar on his face because reacherd for antlers before the deet was dead and it raised up and cut him to the point of needing stitches. I come in by the back I don't ever want to get kicked and I follow Tracks procedure.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow I need to proofread better!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bear has a scar from deet?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's nasty stuff, ever get any in your eyes?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by atse

Being smug can get you hurt eventually..... being smart, well its smart...
I will remember to poke the next deer that I shoot in the a$$ with my rifle barrel. I will also make sure I have my bicycle helmet on when I do it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More dramatic camera angle when they walk up on an animal they already know is dead. TV is all about hype, thrill, and drama. Seldom will they show real mistakes.

In real life, not stepping up where you can get gored or bitten is smarter. Touching the eye is the true test because a blink is a reflex and a truly dead animal has no reflexes. A blink means it is still alive. Poking it in the butt with a barrel is not definitive. Animals that have been spined high on the vertebral processes (not a severed spine) or otherwise knocked down/out and/or temporarily paralyzed can suddenly come to life when you cause them to get an injection of adrenaline by touching them. That is when you want to be out of range of feet and horns, antlers, or teeth.

It is smarter to approach from the rear, and along the line of the back so you are out of reach. On something the size of an elk, mind the length of the antlers. Even a spined animal shot behind the shoulders can still swing its head around and may be able to nail you with a front hoof.

You don't want to start field dressing an animal that is not dead. You could be badly injured.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Especially with a .270 I come from the upper back side and shoot it 3-4 times between the shoulder blades through the spine into the chest. If I'm using my 7x57 I throw it in the truck right off the bat. However I have had em' jump up REAL close w/an '06!-Muddy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll poke an animal in the butt (ha!) or face (weird) with the barrel. Whichever way I approach it from or is easiest if it fell near a tree or big ass rock or whatever.

I always entirely circle the animal regardless, poking it a few times from various angles. Its just habit I guess. One "dead" mountain lion has made me nervous and very cautions when first touching a dead animal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Carefully.......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I usually put my rifle on safe and sling it on my left shoulder. I then approach silently from downwind. Then I run towards the downed animal and leap onto it's back.
If it jumps up or bites me or otherwise shows signs of being alive, I will wish I just poked it in the eye like I normally do!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With bears I will approach from behind, but insist anybody with me is behind me. Having someone wandering off to the side can turn into a super CF if the bear decides it is not done yet.

Had a truly big bear several years ago come at me though it was spined and only swung its head. Because I had nowhere to go it was a bit tense...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.