Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
My old college room mate wanted to try for elk this last season.. Do to a number of things Oct.-Dec. was pretty tough for him to get away.. So we applied for cow tags for a Jan. hunt.. First day was lots of walking, and the elk stayed out of range, but about a mile..
First day of our hunt was sunny and windless.. Sunrise: (I hope.. Photo Bucket has been giving me fits.)

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Second morning we found clouds and wind.. This made the hunt much easier as we could at least cover some country on a Ranger.. We spotted them at about half a mile and made our stalk.. We finally were able to close to about 200 yards.. There must have been a couple hundred elk right in front of us on the opposite mt. Beautiful sight.. We got set up, decided to shoot on the count of three.. I had a nice yearling lined up in my Burris 3-9.. At three I squeezed one off.. Nothing.. I had put a round in the chamber and put the safe on as we made our final adjustments.. I quickly pushed the safe off, lined up on my elk, to see it drop from my buddies 139 gr. SST from his 7mm Mag.. Beautiful shot.. The elk scattered quickly.. I tried a neck shot but missed..

It didn't really matter, my pal got his, and I had shot lots of elk.. He was a happy hunter, and we had a good laugh that out of that many elk, we both picked the same one!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to the both of you. I'm sure you will remember this hunt for a long time.

Hope this isn't your last hunt together like is was with my hunting buddy last November. (He can't do it anymore due to physical limitations resulting from his diabetes.)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/27/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
We decided to take my friends elk to town so the processor could get started on it.. Then he would be ready to head home when the hunt was over..

We decided to try and evening hunt for a herd of elk we spotted lying on another mountain.. We would have to cross a steep canyon to close the distance for a good shot..
As we started off, I was walking about 20 steps behind our guide.. We had only gone a quarter mile, when I happened to look to our left.. I couldn't believe it.. A dozen elk were trotting right to us!!! I hissed to the guide, and dropped my pack and set up my rifle.. I really figured the elk would spot us and turn off into the canyon that was only maybe 150 yards away..

But no they slowed to a walk, keeping an eye on us.. They kept gradually moving near our position.. Finally a big cow separated herself from the group and turned broadside about 200 yards. I bolted a round into the .300 and lined up on the shoulder.. I didn't want her getting down into the canyon.. I sent a 200 gr. Accubond on it way about 3050fps.
At the shot she staggered didn't move but didn't fall either.. So I gave her another.. Little reaction.. I was concerned she might get herself moving so I shot twice more.. She really never moved, but as long as an elk stands, I keep shooting.. Finally she dropped in her tracks.. She really never moved, but she wasn't falling.. Kind of shook me up..

We got over to her, got some photos, and loaded her.. That was a job.. She was much older than my buds from that morning. But we were happy to get her.. It has been lots of years since we last hunted together.. Hopefully, there will be many more to come..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
We headed out of the hills.. The hunt was short, but successful.. We have been hunting together for 50 years.. It was fun for two old timers to be together, and successful..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I intended to mention all the shots hit the chest cavity.. Probably, if I would have waited she would have fallen right there, but that canyon was straight down, and not far away..
I took no chances..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Glad to hear of you and your buddy's good times WCH. I'd have kept shooting too. Good stuff.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congrats on a great hunt with your buddy. Lots of good meat in the freezer too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like fun. Congrats

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congratulations! You gotta' love elk hunting.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wyo,

Great Pics!! Great Memories!

Elk not down - keep shooting - always a good tactic!

JohnDog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story and pictures.

Thanks for sharin'.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We decided to take my friends elk to town so the processor could get started on it.. Then he would be ready to head home when the hunt was over..

We decided to try and evening hunt for a herd of elk we spotted lying on another mountain.. We would have to cross a steep canyon to close the distance for a good shot..
As we started off, I was walking about 20 steps behind our guide.. We had only gone a quarter mile, when I happened to look to our left.. I couldn't believe it.. A dozen elk were trotting right to us!!! I hissed to the guide, and dropped my pack and set up my rifle.. I really figured the elk would spot us and turn off into the canyon that was only maybe 150 yards away..

But no they slowed to a walk, keeping an eye on us.. They kept gradually moving near our position.. Finally a big cow separated herself from the group and turned broadside about 200 yards. I bolted a round into the .300 and lined up on the shoulder.. I didn't want her getting down into the canyon.. I sent a 200 gr. Accubond on it way about 3050fps.
At the shot she staggered didn't move but didn't fall either.. So I gave her another.. Little reaction.. I was concerned she might get herself moving so I shot twice more.. She really never moved, but as long as an elk stands, I keep shooting.. Finally she dropped in her tracks.. She really never moved, but she wasn't falling.. Kind of shook me up..

We got over to her, got some photos, and loaded her.. That was a job.. She was much older than my buds from that morning. But we were happy to get her.. It has been lots of years since we last hunted together.. Hopefully, there will be many more to come..

[Linked Image]

hell....you can drive truck to that one.....

gotta luv that

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
We did!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very nice and always great to share time with good friends.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice ! Great Memories!
What did you and you Bud use?
Always interested in what members here use
caliber,optics,rifle maker .etc?

Molan Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
As you could see he had a nice #1 in 7mm Rem. Mag.. His ammo was Horn. 139 gr. SST.. At his shot the elk dropped in its tracks, but struggled just a bit, but never was able to get moving.. He made a lung shot, but the SST apparently came apart and some of it hit the spine and dropped the cow instantly.. He had a Leupold scope, I believe 3-9..

My outfit was a 700 Rem. with a factory laminated stock.. I put a Lilja, 300 Wea. on it maybe 15 years ago.. I had a 3-9 Burris on this one.. The loads were handloaded about 2008.. I used Re 22 and a 200 grain Accubond.. For about 3050 fps.. I had actually planned on taking two other rifles for the hunt.. But just to check I took the Wea. to see where it was hitting.. It punched 3 rds, into about one hole perfectly 3" high!!! Surprise, surprise!! The last time I shot it was in the fall of 08..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.