Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You dear sir are the man.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just read this thread and I keep looking for the page 2 button. Hurry up so i can see your vision!!! :-)

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Just read this thread and I keep looking for the page 2 button. Hurry up so i can see your vision!!! :-)

Okay,....Griz

Nothing bespeaks vision like a half decent set of sights,....and the original "lollypop" that would have accompanied this was long gone, an long time ago, a HORRIBLY bodged barrel sight had been retrofitted by some hack.
Several aborted efforts to match the original super fine pitched threads in the VERY hard tang saw the place littered with tufts of pulled out hair and broken or dulled taps,...It wasn't 1/4-80, and it wasn't 1/4-100, and the original catalogue for Smithing tools that tap was ordered outta' went up the chimney, or under a still as kindling long ago. Maybe it was used in the outhouse behind George Leonard & Sons emporium.
The original threads were ground out / removed with little stones, and some kinda' creative alternative pursued.
Got this one right on the third try, though I'll own up to the "staff" leaning off to the left like a drunken pirate with his peg leg stuck in a gopher hole.
There just ISN'T any way to get hold of this thing and dial on a flat, it's ALL radii !
The soapstone "Spud" was used to dam the solder, and also to get the best vertical alignment I was gonna' get.
This is not a Purdey, or a museum quality resto,...the rifle's going back into competition, and until it's shot a bit, "close enough" is just that,...
There's a thread over in the gunsmithing forum that has some more detail re: this stunt, along with some serious campfire dialogue ranging from intelligent tech to serious blither and butt-hurt feelers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/23/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a fairly good sized stash of parts and pieces in raw form, ....spooled up many years ago by some old duffer who was making several different sizes of Soulle tang sights.
Given the embarrasing list off to the port that the new recess evinces, it seemed that providing some windage adjustment just migh be in order
Once some O1 drill rod was threaded to the new 1/4-40 TPI
chosen the goody box was raided, and this widget counterbored slightly @ .250", than tapped 10-32"

[Linked Image]

Those of ya' owning Soulle replicas will likely recognize the raw stock chosen, crap there's a LOT of fooling around goes into building those lash ups !

[Linked Image]

Sight, bottomed out, that should be plenty low enough

[Linked Image]

Maxed out,....should be about right for a "40 Rod gun", ..if not, spooling up taller one will be short work, I can probably wring another .250" out of the clearance below without hanging it through the trigger plate

[Linked Image]

Horsing this barrel around from vise to vise is fatiguing,....everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have a beer, and put the day's tools away.

[Linked Image]

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice to see this one get the love and attention she needed so bad.
It would have been a shame had she gone to the scrap can if she hadn't found you.
Nicely done Sir!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The front end of this job was pretty damn challenging,...the Rifle was broken clean in half at the wrist, the breech cap's vent completely trashed / eroded away, the lock in rags and tatters.
As time allows, I'll post a few pics of the remediation of those woes.
From what one can learn about Leonard's rifles, it's more than likely this one went to war,...a LOT of Berdan's guys brought their own equipment.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I see", said the blind man. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
"I see", said the blind man. laugh

Shush, Helen Keller's Cat might hear you !

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
SOOooooo,....The first pic below is the classic, nay,...SUPREME example of the well worn theorum, "Do NOT cut that little widget loose without first completing ALL of your machining operations.
Pretty much all freehand milling, and from here a leather glove and a file is all ya' get. Maybe if i drag it over to the feed store and back on the end of a log chain it'll look a little more "finished".?
Actually kinda' GLAD that the original raw stock was so roughly machined,...the height of the bar is already set, as it were. Any complaints and I'll just blame "duffer", ....he's dead anyway.

Anyhoo,....the sight's "Tunnel" will wind up being a little bit longer component than pictured, and the lower dovetailed block will be sculpted a bit, too.

[Linked Image]

Let as much light into your rear aperture as you possibly can,....after reading a great article in one of the "Accurate Rifle" pubs, regarding this, I started doing it,...bore the thing out to a tapered SHELL, and polish the dickens (or crap) out of the ID,...regardless of how small a final aperture hole is chosen, the sight picture WILL improve.
I damned near need Braille on my irons any more,...so focusing
( grin whistle laugh ) on how alla' this plays is important.
My crack about Helen Keller's dog er, CAT went unappreciated, there's now a mob of what looks like blind, crazy people demonstrating in front of my place,...I better go bring them a beer, or something,...

Later.

GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/24/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought her cat was a seeing eye cat and was deaf. Mercy, the things I learn....and what happens when you give the deaf the silent treatment anyway?

I like the way this unfolds. Ups and Downs, lefts'n rights...looking very functional it is.

Does the carriage come with it? It's obviously a heavy gun and all.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does the carriage come with it? It's obviously a heavy gun and all.

Looked like Gracie was not planning on it leaving. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Naw, she was warning that little cattle dog, Nip to stay away from it.

I'm thinking that a couple of wee holes tapped right at the outside edge of that dovetail wind base,....lined out so's the radii on the upper slider engage some wee screw heads will keep the aperture and slider from falling of, ....getting lost.

Working with that same raw stock, one could easily have a nice windage lead screw tucked up underneath, between the two components,... # 4 or 5 40 TPI would be just the ticket.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/24/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I concur.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I did NOT want to De-Solder that widget,...
.....really,....and yet had not the heart to live with the drunken pirate staff alignment..
Dismantled the gun (yet again) and judiciously heated one side of the 56% silver soldered joint,......and lifted one side off, just slightly. Came REAL close (no cigar) so WTF,....did it again. Pretty pleased with the end product, 80% of the joint is still flooded with a SS formula TOUTED as having superior "Gap Filling" characteristics, and there's no forces loading on that component.
The threads have a wee bit of lash, ....I''ll dope that miniscule opening created with some acraglas,....grease and release compound on the staff,...that should give some decent extra friction, and drag on the staff's threads.
The new "tunnel" was SS'd to the little mortised base, than beaded.
The first pics give you an idea as to just how Skookum the perpendicular to bore axis this FINALLY achieved. and the centered tunnel LOOKS right, now.
No big deal to make up a wider base with more wind travel, if needed.
Couldn't resist spooling up an eye cup,,....pictured as well.
A decision is pending, regarding wee changable apertures, or just a small borehole through a fixed plug in the tunnel. If changables are the order of the day, some 10-40 TPI Tap and Die tooling will have to be brought in / procured.

To late / Dark to shoot, dammit frown .

Cheers, GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yer makin' my trigger finger itch....

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Greg, it might be an illusion, but from your picture looking from back to front - it appears the tang is crooked (bent to one side)
True or false?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I saw that as well, A little Cast Off for a right hand shooter?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
25 lb "George Leonard & Sons" stump gun.

George may have made good barrels, but I'd venture his sons enjoyed Laudanum in their morning whiskey,and addded Hemp to their pipe tobacky. Some of the original work encountered left me pretty much convinced of that.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pics above
....it became evident that I was going to drive myself around the bend (further ?) trying to get a truly PLUMB orientation on the sight staff,...some creative "fixturing " was clearly in order. To have the rifle assembled completely WAS going to be the only way to ensure that a cut into the tang was in skew. Small shop, small mill, BIG rifle.
[Linked Image]
Corners got cleaned out, in the quest for sturdy blocks, chocks, and other misc. ballast. Getting this all Skookum did NOT happen in 5 or ten minutes, more like the better part of a morning, and well into the afternoon.
[Linked Image]
The actual cut ?......the work of maybe 2 minutes, max
[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/06/16.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A white brass "alignment boss" was generated, and Silver Soldered in its' hard won niche.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.