Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yes I would agree on the final drive ratio but the low end is where the difference is. the T is in the same ball park @ 60 mph.
It's funny that some think the Toy is trying to be a 2500, If that were the case it would have been labeled as such.

I too have a 2500, a 2000 Dodge with a cummins, it gets the heavy work and handles it quite well but again, for a half ton the toy truck shines..

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If someone pulls into my place up North driving a jap made vehicle asking to hunt there I will say no.

If they drive up in a USA made vehicle I will like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whooooo boy.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hillbill
yes I would agree on the final drive ratio but the low end is where the difference is. the T is in the same ball park @ 60 mph.
It's funny that some think the Toy is trying to be a 2500, If that were the case it would have been labeled as such.

I too have a 2500, a 2000 Dodge with a cummins, it gets the heavy work and handles it quite well but again, for a half ton the toy truck shines..
That's what they're tellling customers. I've talked to a couple Toyota dealers and both told me that all the parts on a Tundra are rated for a 3/4 ton except the springs. If that's the case, why don't they swap springs and market a 3/4?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If someone pulls into my place up North driving a Toyota asking to hunt there I will say no.

My Toyota was made in Texas Genius

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he thinks they're made in china.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think That a lot of the guys are believing that because they have heard this story from Dodge and Ford regarding the 3/4 ton VS 1 ton

The only difference there is the springs and running lights. ..... Oh and the ride quality. My 2500 has a 6'6" bed with the 3/4 ton suspension. It's plenty stiff with E rated tires. With the 1 ton springs it would be wicked stiff!

I think that the Toyota has the lighter springs for the majority that never come close to design limits. Then they have a nice comfortable ride. I wonder if the axles could actually handle the 3/4 ton loads, of if the Transmissions could actually handle a 10,000 pound trailer at 65mph up a 7000ft mountain pass, or if the brakes are big enough to handle the stopping duty on the down hills? Try this from Indiana to Sacramento across the mountains monthly? That's the real difference, not the intermittent heavy loads, but the routine loads like a 28' fifth wheel going across country? The horse trailer pulled weekly over a mountain pass etc..

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a F-150 and looked at the 2015 and 2016 Tundra to upgrade for towing. They had more hp but no improved towing or hauling rating from the factory engineers.

I did some additional research to form my own opinion regarding the "spin" that the Tundra salesperson gave me about capability being beyond 1/2 ton performance.

One discovery was about gearing and the low axle ratio he bragged about. It is the impact of transmission ratios on final drive ratio the Toyota does bother to explain. Smoke and mirrors.

Tundra Gears ratio's (cut and paste from Edmunds.com)

Transmission ratios (x:1)
I = 3.33; II = 1.96; III = 1.35; IV = 1.00; V = 0.73; VI = 0.59
Final-drive ratio (x:1) 4.30

F-250 ratios from Ford website (cut and paste)

Gear Ratios (to :1)
1st 3.97
2nd 2.31
3rd 1.51
4th 1.14
5th 0.85
6th 0.67
Reverse 3.12

The Tundra 1st gear is some 15% taller than the F-250.
The tundra 6th gear is some 12% or so taller than the F-250.
The Tundra axle is some 13% or so lower than the F-250.

In practicality, the final ratios in each are at basic parity.

Just sayin,

Marv

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I think That a lot of the guys are believing that because they have heard this story from Dodge and Ford regarding the 3/4 ton VS 1 ton

The only difference there is the springs and running lights. .....

Bigger brakes, master cylinder, radiator, and differentials don't count as differences between 3/4 and 1 ton?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only difference there is the springs and running lights. ..... Oh and the ride quality. My 2500 has a 6'6" bed with the 3/4 ton suspension. It's plenty stiff with E rated tires. With the 1 ton springs it would be wicked stiff!
It does appear to be true for the Dodge. I have an '08 Dodge 2500. I went to a couple auto parts sites and checked a bunch of suspension and brake parts compared to a 3500. All were the same parts. I didn't find any parts that weren't used on both models.
Before we bought it, we test drove an identical 3500. It was an animal. If you need a 1 ton, fine, get one, but don't buy one for a daily driver. It's a miserable ride.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are not different on the 2500 vs 3500 for the gen 3 dodge with the Cummins 5.9. Quite often dealers sell the 3500's for the same price or less too

This topic has been beaten to death on the Cummins forum. Folks on that site said the same was true with the fords.

The brakes btw are identical in every aspect on the gen 3

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If someone pulls into my place up North driving a jap made vehicle asking to hunt there I will say no.

The Tundra is designed and assembled in Texas, and is second only to Ford with the most American parts. I think you should be telling guys in Chevys and Dodges to hunt elsewhere.
As far as the Tundra being a 1/2 ton truck, it is. It is not a 3/4 ton. For limited towing as the OP use, it would be better in my opinion to get any brand 1/2 ton.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Damn...

All my plans to show up and ask you to hunt just got blown to hell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TrevorG

Originally Posted by huntsman22

The money still goes out of the country. That is, unless Japan is a now a part of the USA.

Toyota Corporate Office Headquarters
Toyota Motor Corporation
1, Toyota-cho
Toyota-Shi, ACH 471-8571 Japan

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If someone pulls into my place up North driving a Toyota asking to hunt there I will say no.

Mine was made in San Antonio.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

Originally Posted by huntsman22

The money still goes out of the country. That is, unless Japan is a now a part of the USA.

Toyota Corporate Office Headquarters
Toyota Motor Corporation
1, Toyota-cho
Toyota-Shi, ACH 471-8571 Japan

Toyota is a publicly traded company. So the "money" goes to the stock holders world wide. Labor is paid in the US and so are the parts. Paper pushers are in Japan. Corporate offices are held by many US companies abroad to avoid taxes. Corporations are a big scam, in the US, in England, in Korea. It is a big world of thieves. Best you can hope for is parts and labor, and that is the real world. It is not 1946.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For that matter, Chrysler is owned by Fiat, located in London. My Dodge pickup was made in Mexico.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a 2014 Tundra, limited, 4x4, 5.7, tow option.
It had (when new) the highest tow rating of any 1/2 ton.
Smooth and quiet ride.
I pull a 26 ft TT with no problem.

BTW, made in Texas, engine made in Alabama.
It is an American truck, regardless what the haters say!

F
Foss Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks for all the responses guys. About what I thought I'd hear, but I'm glad to hear everyone's experience.

I bought my F-150 right after the auto industry bailouts, and only considered Ford just due to their turning down the gov't money. I've had really good luck with my F-150 all things considered. But I have never heard anyone who owns a Tundra say a bad thing about them.

As for the Tundras, is the TRD package worth it for extra protection and ability off the pavement? Most concerned about the skidplates (or lack of), but aftermarket are always options too.

"The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the hills..." -Ethan Allen
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Foss

As for the Tundras, is the TRD package worth it for extra protection and ability off the pavement? Most concerned about the skidplates (or lack of), but aftermarket are always options too.

In my opinion, no.

Go aftermarket on the skid plates, the TRD ones aren't very good.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.