Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If Toyota would make a Crew Max Tundra w/6' bed, My F-250 6.7L would be sitting on the used lot.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget about what truck to buy! Try to decide what uou will honestly do with a pickup. Buy the pickup that best meets your needs. Most times we are unhappy with a big purchase it is not the item at fault, rather, us buying he wrong thing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a 3/4 ton Suburban once. Brakes and tires were more expensive. If I needed a heavy duty pickup truck why wouldn't I just buy a one ton?
The one ton trucks are very popular with the people around here.
Mostly teenagers buy the Toyota Tacoma around here.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like my F250, it's an 08 with 6.4, I wasn't looking for a diesel but it was a good deal (recently purchased). It's my 3rd superduty, my other 2 were one tons.

I can't comment on the toyota because I've not owned one.

Fords have been very good for me though.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
hiiiiiiii-yaaaaah!

ching chong phooey

(so sayeth the nip owner's manual in a toyota "truck")

MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Toyota is a Tacoma, not a Tundra, but I think the same 'features' that give me fits would be shared, the dealership mechanics would be equally limited if you had a problem, and you'd be equally stuck if you're relying on them because it's a warranty issue.

If I had it to do again, I'd go back to Nissan for a small truck or Ford for a fullsized one.

Toyota owners are very loyal, so when **this** Toyota owner suggests you might oughta buy something else ... you'd be wise to pay attention.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned 4x4's in Suburban, Yukon, Lariat, Explorer, Land Cruiser and Tundra, it amazes me how much better quality the Toyota vehicles are. My 2000 Tundra was built here but is noticeably higher quality than all my US-built trucks.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just can't get over the not so stellar fuel mileage of The tundra it's a sharp looking truck though. my f250 gasser gets 14 mpg on the hey. So if I'm going to get 14 mpg I might as well get it with a 3/4 ton.

Last edited by 79S; 05/01/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have owned two Tacos, a 1997, and a 2013. I did not keep either even a year. I bought a new truck last month. I test drove the Taco again, but bought a Chevy Colorado.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The '13 Super Duty 6.7L diesel I traded in got 18 MPG regularly when not towing.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by carlm
I have owned two Tacos, a 1997, and a 2013. I did not keep either even a year. I bought a new truck last month. I test drove the Taco again, but bought a Chevy Colorado.

LOL, there is one in every crowd

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, guys who have owned 23 brand new vehicles-so far. The underlying message-while a Taco is not a Tundra, Toyota trucks are largely overrated. Between the two go Ford if fit for the OP's purpose.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah, guys who have owned 23 brand new vehicles-so far. The underlying message-while a Taco is not a Tundra, Toyota trucks are largely overrated. Between the two go Ford if fit for the OP's purpose.

Overrated and American made. I have had so many issues with the Toyotas I have owned it is pathetic and i am guessing most toyota owners feel the same . grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Overrated and American made. I have had so many issues with the Toyotas I have owned it is pathetic and i am guessing most toyota owners feel the same . grin

Over the course of four toyotas and about 600,000 miles I've had to replace one wheel bearing. The danged tires also keep wearing out and I have to keep putting gas in them! The oil doesn't last nearly long enough either.

POS!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Over the course of four toyotas and about 600,000 miles I've had to replace one wheel bearing. The danged tires also keep wearing out and I have to keep putting gas in them! The oil doesn't last nearly long enough either.

POS!

Between my brother and I we have/had 8 of them and he had to replace a wheel bearing on his 2003 and I had to replace the rear bearing on my 2009. They are a POS grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One thing I will say: Toyota worshipers are loyal to a fault. They remind me of the GM guys in the late '70's who stuck by GM even when the tops of their trunks were rusting off in two years.

My '97 Taco, an extended cab V6 rode like a brick. Had a heck of a time even getting it to start. My wife hated it so bad, we had a new 2.0L Cavalier the same year. She insisted we take the Cavalier on a 1,500 mile round trip.

By 2013, I thought surely they improved it, but they did not. I wanted a smaller truck, Ford had just quit making the Ranger in '12, Dodge (not a fan), quit making the Dakota, and Chevy quit making the Colorado/Canyon. So what made Toyota so great? NO competition, they won by default.

They took the 4.0L and downsized it to 3.5. There was the smog pump noise, the six hour noise, no locking tailgate, and a child-like nav system. It has a poly bed with a flawed design so when a cap is installed it will leak. They are still reliable, but the tired old engine has no performance. Ironically, it only got 18 MPG, and I had to use Premium fuel to get it. Like the rusty trunk GM owners of the '70's, the supporters still cheer them on.

Ford F150 owns the 1/4 ton truck market. (had 3 of them from 2008-2013), and though the Tundra is a reliable truck, it would have to improve a lot to over take the Ford. Toyota cannot even compete in the heavy duty diesel truck market. They have nothing to offer to go up against the Power Stroke diesel when serious towing capacity is required.

Before I bought my 2016 Colorado, I drove a shiny orange Taco. The lack of competition in the sector was apparent. The tired 3.5 could barely get up to speed. The cheerleaders say it's a truck not a race car. That's for sure. If you buy one, you better like struggling to get going in traffic. My wife liked the look and color of it so much, I was STILL going to buy it, and spend 5,000-7,000 to install the super charger that was available in '13, but they discontinued it.

The small Toyotas were great utility trucks in the early to late '80's. Those are still sought after as great hunting/farm trucks. The Tundra which is obviously in a different class, is no F-150. The Taco has languished into mediocrity due to lack of competition. If/when they raise the bar, I'll look at them again. Until then, like the rusty GM's, their time has passed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In October of '99 I bought a 2000 model V_6 Tacoma. In November of 2011 I had to replace the battery. POS.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes they are reliable and easy to resell thanks to the hype. Pretty sure the battery is not made by Toyota and is considered a throw away item. That probably explains why you finally put a battery in your almost 20 year old car.

Last edited by carlm; 05/04/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything I have ever learned is from the internet. Therefore I only own the best most super powered items money can buy. Supercharged 3/4 ton Toyotas and 454 Casull Glocks, nuff said. smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Tundra which is obviously in a different class, is no F-150.

I bought a Tundra about 5 months ago, could have bought an F-150 but based upon past experiences with Ford and Toyota it was a no-brainer to choose the Tundra.

It's true it's no F-150, that's precisely why I bought it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.