Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
in a lot (most?) states now, the threshold on use of force has moved away from "what would some random reasonable person do?" to "can you articulate why YOU decided this was a reasonable course of action?"

"He did not comply with orders and I saw him reach into his jacket" is ALL that is required.

Any civilian that appeared on scene out of thin air and shot the just would be equally justified in doing so.

It seems impossible to get some to wrap their heads around this, but there DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AN ACTUAL GUN IN THE POCKET -- as long as the one who shot him can articulate he reasonably thought there might be, that's it. period. justified shoot.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Check out where he was carrying on his left side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCcxZR4i2jI

With that in mind check out the slowed down, zoomed in footage of the shooting: http://www.oregonlive.com/#/0

It sure looks to me that he is pulling his jacket out with his left hand and reaching across with his right, at one point even looking down at the gun.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've mentioned that in his videos he is shown wearing a shoulder holster.

Does anyone really not think LE watches these videos too?

His actions were entirely consistant with reaching for a gun in a shoulder holster

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Ringman
Joseywales,

Possibly. But why did the second suspect have no trouble complying? He exited the vehicle, hands raise. reached down, tossed his gun and live to tell about it.

The second guy stayed near the car on the solid snow. The cops already made there point by unnecessarily killing the first guy.

Good Lord, you're an idiot of Biblical proportions.

I see what you did there

grin laugh cool

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Having driven in snow before and knowing what that's like, did Lavoy think he was going to get around the roadblock vehicles?

He was from Arizona...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
There's more to the entire story than just the FBI video tells as well...

Ryan Bundy was also shot, so there was more shooting going on somewhere, directed at the group.

It'd be interesting to see THAT footage as well. (Not that anyone would agree on what they just saw...)

DEAD silent ( no pun intended) on that score, aren't they ?

Wonder if there wasn't an N.D. in that pickup.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since this thread needs another post ...

I don't doubt the legitimacy of the shooting. But are there any videos from a dashcam? Somebody obviously wanted drone video, and had weeks to plan. No vehicles available for the stop that were equipped with a dashcam?

Maybe they just weren't released yet. Did I miss that?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Since this thread needs another post ...

I don't doubt the legitimacy of the shooting. But are there any videos from a dashcam? Somebody obviously wanted drone video, and had weeks to plan. No vehicles available for the stop that were equipped with a dashcam?

Maybe they just weren't released yet. Did I miss that?

Not drone video; helicopter.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
why the (possible - we can't exactly tell) multiple reaches into or toward a pocket or jacket? If yer gonna do it, then do it. The yes-no-yes-no thing wouldn't make sense.

I'd bet that a lot of folks contemplating suicide go through a lot of yes-no-yes-no cycles before finally pulling the trigger. This was suicide by cop. He thought about it for a few seconds before someone made his mind up for him. Who knows, maybe a few more seconds and he would have decided to give up. But he was already given more than enough opportunities. He got what he said he wanted.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MallardAddict,

Lets try this another way. So you have occasion to have a known armed felon who has threatened to shoot it out with you at gun point outside of a stolen vehicle that you know has loaded weapons in it. Rather then listen to your orders this subject continually reaches onto his jacket.

How do you know he was not told to open his jacket?

Are you seriously trying to tell me you think that someone would not be justified in firing on said subject.

Yes.

So now that you know the basic federal requirements to a justified self defense shooting what part of the video isnt consistent with these standards?

Correct. We did not see him threaten anyone.

If you bothered to read what i wrote about the basis of justifiable self defense shooting then you would see all elements were clearly met by this situation as presented by video and it was a legally defensible use of lethal force.

As has been repeatedly pointed out there doesnt have to be a weapon presented, just the threat of use and the perception a weapon is present.

If you think this was a bad shoot, then answer me as to why its bad? What necessary part wasnt met, "the basic standard"? or which of the 3 necessary elements that make up "immediate and unavoidable danger" do you feel were not present?

If those 4 things are met its a good shoot under federal law regardless of your opinion.

As far as him threatening anyone you would have to live under a rock not to have seen Finicum say he was willing to shoot it out with LEO's repeatedly.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you notice around 10:48 or thereabout in the video right as the aircraft circles around behind the trees on the passenger side of the truck, there is an obvious shot that hits on of the passenger windows. You can see the snow explode away from it.

John

Last edited by john843; 01/29/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rockinbbar,

Ryan Bundy was also shot,

Everyone knows he was asking for it. The cops just failed to do a good job. Kinda like attempted murder fails to kill someone.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The first guy who came out at first had his hands up, then went to either his waist or the inside of his jacket. He made the movement that condemned himself to be shot. He controlled the scenario, he make the movement that forced the LEO to stop his actions.
With at least one other in the car, no aid was going to reach him. Cold hard facts given the angle from the air.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Without being too much of an "analyst" this time, its a shame that the man had to talk it up so much in advance.

I'm sure that played a part in the neurons firing there at the end.

A lot of bravado about not going quietly, and next thing you know, you're in the middle of nowhere with a gun and a bunch of cops on a felony stop.

Some stupid little lobe in the noodle saying, "Well, we said we won't go to jail...."

Good thing we aren't held to the chutzpah written out here on so many occasions, eh?

maybe the most thoughtful post on the whole mess. and the last sentence should be food for thought for all of us.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Without a doubt the guy got out with his hands in the air. If I was on a jury the two shooters who go down for murder.

You either need your eyes checked or you have a hard time interpreting footage.
The guys hands were not always in the air. He took them down and reached with his right hand inside his jacket.
That to a LEO justifies taking action to stop his movements.
You'd better watch it a few more times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I've mentioned that in his videos he is shown wearing a shoulder holster.

Does anyone really not think LE watches these videos too?

His actions were entirely consistant with reaching for a gun in a shoulder holster

the reports I have heard call a 9mm pistol in his interior coat pocket.....not exterior or shoulder holster.

we need ground level with audio.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good Lord, guys.....................can we get past the name-calling please?
What we have here (in the big picture) is people that are protesting the abuses of our government, plenty of which are documented and not properly responded to. So many politicians that are only in it to line their own pockets, and are totally unaccountable for their actions. There are so many events that our Founders would call treasonous actions that I am constantly amazed that people refuse to see why folks like the "occupiers" have taken a stand against corruption.
Whether Finnicum should have been shot or not does not matter to me........................the fact that our government will not follow the rules that "we the people" are taught to follow is sad for all of us.

If you want examples of what I'm referring to, how about the fact that good law-abiding citizens are constantly being "fleeced" by being forced by our government to support those who are lazy and underserving and many with felonious actions ( many life-long welfare recipients) is one, the fact that politicians are not required to pay into Social Security because the are somehow judged "too special and important" is another, and they are compensated for life to an incredibly larger scale of pay than the rest of us is another. When did these [bleep] become something special?
Personally, I am sick to death of the double-standard that exists in America. I doubt very seriously that this is what our Forefather founders of our government expected to see become the norm.

lngrng's rant off..................if you think I'm full of sht, then feel free to flame me, but I still believe in America, and this is definitely not the country that I grew up in!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RWE
Without being too much of an "analyst" this time, its a shame that the man had to talk it up so much in advance.

I'm sure that played a part in the neurons firing there at the end.

A lot of bravado about not going quietly, and next thing you know, you're in the middle of nowhere with a gun and a bunch of cops on a felony stop.

Some stupid little lobe in the noodle saying, "Well, we said we won't go to jail...."

Good thing we aren't held to the chutzpah written out here on so many occasions, eh?

There is no shame here other than acting in a way that forced the cops to stop your actions. "Talking it up" and acting to become a martyr was his own decision. He obviously had plenty of time throughout this protracted confrontation to decide what to do. Even at the end of the chase, he could have surrendered. He didn't and he is dead.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/29/16.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Idaho_Shooter

I, as a layman, figured it might mean that if 100 people look at a scenario and 99 reach the same conclusion, the one might be considered to not be of reasonable mindset.

Your illustration sounds reasonable to me. If the numbers were 60 / 40 which group would be reasonable.

60/40 equals a hung jury.

The members of this board are probably as anti-fed a demographic as any to be found in the country.

I doubt a poll of even this forum would show 10 percent questioning the police action under discussion.

Nationwide, I doubt we could find that 1 percent.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I find funny half you guys talk it up ah man the Feds come for guns I have something for them I lived a good life blah blah blah I'm taking some with me they are not getting my guns... The minute this guy gets shot and killed you all are yeah he deserved it he's dumb ass blah blah well didn't he die for something he believed in??? Typical day and month 24hourcampfire..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 33 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.