Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks.

I've got one of those Gerber 'Bear Grylls' saw with the blade that slides into the handle. It's a 5.75" blade with similar style teeth, and weighs about 5 oz. It doesn't have ANY style points though....smile.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info.

Thanks for posting it.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Thanks.

I've got one of those Gerber 'Bear Grylls' saw with the blade that slides into the handle. It's a 5.75" blade with similar style teeth, and weighs about 5 oz. It doesn't have ANY style points though....smile.

LOL, and then there's having "Bear Grylls" on anything laugh

I have seen the saw though, looks usable enough.

What I've found with many of these hand saws is they tend to get a bit "wobbly" where the blade connects to the handle, and often times the blade is too long for its thickness and temper, as well as it's handle/blade connection strength, making it prone to bending, breaking, etc. The Sierra is the poster child for these negative traits.

The Opinel is about the exact opposite. Blade not too long/bendable, and a super-positive blade/handle junction.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No problem Lonny... just passing on the minutia of my exercise in lightening gear laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad, I'll see your 3.6 oz and lower it to 1.4 - 1.5oz.. grin I have 3 or 4 of the Couglin's "pocket" Sierras that have a 4" blade. It will handle most of my backpacking and canoe trip needs when portaging is involved.

But it doesn't have the style points of the Opinel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by roundoak; 01/31/16.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Brad, I'll see your 3.6 oz and lower it to 1.4 - 1.5oz.. grin I have 3 or 4 of the Couglin's "pocket" Sierras that have a 4" blade. It will handle most of my backpacking and canoe trip needs when portaging is involved.

But it doesn't have the style points of the Opinel.

Yep, we've got several of the Coghlin's laying around the house. My wife used hers this past summer on our week-long backpack in the Beartooth's... by the 3rd night it had blown apart. It's basically junk. Reference my above comments about blade length/temper/handle-blade junction strength. Also, its blade just doesn't cut anywhere nearly as well as the Opinel or Sierra.

At the end of the day, a piece of gear has to work well, day in, day out, for its intended use. IME the Coghlin's doesn't meet that criteria, which is why I went with the slightly heavier (2.2 oz's), but more infinitely usable Opinel... and yes, it does have a bit of style to boot laugh

[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got an inordinate amount of saws scattered around the house grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Brad
....LOL, and then there's having "Bear Grylls" on anything laugh

LOL, yeah I hear ya.

Another Walmart impulse buy, while looking for stove fuel....grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 2 Gerbers and was NOT impressed.

This one extends out of the handle. It won't stay extended. You have to lift it out of the wood on every forward stroke or it will retract into the handle.
[Linked Image]

This one has a button to push to open or close the blade. The button broke the 1st time I used it.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Shane, I think I've got piles of those same kind of purchases... only occasionally do they pan out! grin

IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've had 2 Gerbers and was NOT impressed.

This one extends out of the handle. It won't stay extended. You have to lift it out of the wood on every forward stroke or it will retract into the handle.
[Linked Image]

This one has a button to push to open or close the blade. The button broke the 1st time I used it.
[Linked Image]

RC, I've never used the top version, but I believe you... not a reassuring looking design.

The second, the exchange-blade Gerber; I had an early mfg'd one. It lasted a LOT of hard use for over ten years, then broke (the button). I've read the early ones were well made, then they were slightly redesigned, mfg'd elsewhere, and the quality went down hill. That reputation, and its weight, kept me from buying another one.

I've still got the sheath and extra blades, but the saw is in the landfill. Pretty sure I got is somewhere around the early 2000's.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That exchange blade saw proved to be a poor choice even if the thing had worked. One of my primary purposes for it was to saw anters off of deer and elk. I learned the 1st time I used it that it was too short for that. The button broke at the same time. An antler saw needs to be at least 8" and 10 is better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been hunting for a good pack saw. Been carrying around a folding Gerber, but I've been less than impressed. Have yet to replace it because I've not seen anything obviously better...

Just ordered an Opinel on your recommendation.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

That's the one I've been toting. To it's credit, it has lasted 4 years, but I've gone through several blades.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That exchange blade saw proved to be a poor choice even if the thing had worked. One of my primary purposes for it was to saw anters off of deer and elk. I learned the 1st time I used it that it was too short for that. The button broke at the same time. An antler saw needs to be at least 8" and 10 is better.

Guess I don't understand that... I've capped a couple critters with it that I didn't want to Euro mount. It worked, although I will agree a longer saw is better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one of these Jap pruning saws a couple years ago. Rock Chuck and I made short work of firewood for keeping his EdT stove fed using it. It cuts and stayed sharp, still cutting. Seems to be well made.
But it won't win any ounce weeny awards.
http://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding...4292014&sr=8-1&keywords=silk+saw

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using a Silky Gomboy 210 for the past 2 seasons and can highly recommend it.

10 oz weight is worth it, IMO.

Last edited by Backroads; 01/31/16.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by snubbie
I bought one of these Jap pruning saws a couple years ago. Rock Chuck and I made short work of firewood for keeping his EdT stove fed using it. It cuts and stayed sharp, still cutting. Seems to be well made.
But it won't win any ounce weeny awards.
http://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding...4292014&sr=8-1&keywords=silk+saw

\\
Snub, were you guys backpacking or using llamas? If llamas, I'd not be counting ounces quite so hard either.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guess I should clarify, I don't use a saw for bone, I use it for wood. I take an elk apart with a knife only.

I've messed with the Stanley, pretty cheap/flimsy. Same with the Sierra. Even my heavily modified Sierra weighs nearly 2 oz's more than the Opinel. The Sierra doesn't pack well either.

The Opinel isn't a bone saw, it's a wood saw... for that it's about ideal for backpacking.

[Linked Image]

As I just wrote on the other post, a Sierra Saw will cut bone about once. I must have cut a cord of wood with a Sierra Saw over the years prepping blinds, tree stands and shooting lanes. The new blades are about 1/2 the stiffness of the ones 15 years ago. Sounds familiar, I know ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Shane, I think I've got piles of those same kind of purchases... only occasionally do they pan out! grin

Don't I know that!

The Opinel is an interesting saw. Will have to consider that into my logistics plan. Currently carrying the small Wyoming saw with both wood and bone blades. Great saw, but not the lightest. Can't imagine going with less if removing skull plate. Since I think I'll do a euro mount or full mount (if really big) I may not need the bone saw and thus the Opinel would come into play.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.