Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've experimented with an enormous variety of pack saws over the years, and think I finally found my huckleberry. From Opinel of France, it's a "real" saw that locks open and shut. Has a 4.75" blade, folds 6.5" shut and only weigh's 3.6 oz's. Handle is large enough for a really positive grip. Based on their over 125 year old knife design, once again what's old is new again:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
How would it do on bone?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by coues32
How would it do on bone?

Curious about that as well. I tried a similar, but less expensive saw on bone, and it was miserable enough, I started carrying a wyoming saw which while heavy does the job quickly.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It has the same type of blade as the old standard Sierra saw which comes in a hundred versions. This one might have better metal, though.
It does ok on bone but there are better blades. You can spend 15 min taking the rack off of an elk with it. For removing antlers from a large animal, though, a 5" blade is too short. A real bone saw will have finer teeth, more like a plywood saw. If you want the best blade for the job, you can get saws with extra blades, a wood blade plus a bone blade.

Sierra saw
[Linked Image]

bone saw teeth
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A good inexpensive saw is a Stanley folding saw that sells for about $10. What makes it good is that it uses standard reciprocating saw blades. You can carry several different ones to match the use. The extra long ones are best for antlers but they do stick out the end of the handle when folded.

All of this type of folding saw are designed to cut only on the pull stroke.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guess I should clarify, I don't use a saw for bone, I use it for wood. I take an elk apart with a knife only.

I've messed with the Stanley, pretty cheap/flimsy. Same with the Sierra. Even my heavily modified Sierra weighs nearly 2 oz's more than the Opinel. The Sierra doesn't pack well either.

The Opinel isn't a bone saw, it's a wood saw... for that it's about ideal for backpacking.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I have an antlered elk tag the skull plate is the reason I bring a saw. I can't get an elk out in one trip so lots of times the saw stays in the truck until I bring out a load of meat, and I like the Wyoming saw with a bone blade for skull plates.

Brad, for your bulls do you just sever the neck and pack the whole head, or??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, I like Euro mounts so don't like cutting skull plates. I take the head off with the knife, skin the head, and remove the lower jaw.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice pic, looks like you had good weather for that one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad have used one for several years...also like their knives.

I was hunting Caribou right at the arctic circle late 80's and all the guides used Opinel knives.

lefty C

IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lefty, I use an Opinel knife for summer backpacking (camp chores/trout knife). They're excellent. May have to give it a try as a hunting knife.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
Guess I should clarify, I don't use a saw for bone, I use it for wood. I take an elk apart with a knife only.

I've messed with the Stanley, pretty cheap/flimsy. Same with the Sierra. Even my heavily modified Sierra weighs nearly 2 oz's more than the Opinel. The Sierra doesn't pack well either.
Someone asked how it would work on bone and I was answering. Yours has teeth for wood and should work fine for cutting wood for a folding stove.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the looks of that saw but I will stick with the Corona.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Which Corona? They're very nice but quite heavy... generally 12+ oz's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a couple of the Corona 7" saws hard for a few years. The blade stays very sharp for a long time and is overall quite durable. Replacement blades are inexpensive. Not sure on the weight, heavier than the Opinel for sure but still very lite. I like the price as well, around $23 on Amazon. Corona also makes a wood handled similar version.

http://coronatoolsusa.com/rs-7245-razor-tooth-folding-saw-7-in.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corona 7" is just under 7oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice saw, I think it should work just fine.

Thanks for the info.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice. Still, 7 ounces is essentially twice as heavy. I'm an ounce parer, especially as I approach 55 in a couple months. The Opinel was part of my ounce shedding quest in every area.

Backpacking is all about ounces.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like the old-school looks and light weight of the Opinel.

Would a saw that size have a specific chore, or more for misc light sawing?

Is that enough saw for processing firewood for a small Ti type stove?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's plenty big for general firewood gathering, either open fire or packable/Ti-style stove. Really, it's "just right."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.